12Next >
23848 43 2021-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ManuCH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 157881 ft
Switzerland

So I've got a brand new DJI Mini 2 and it works well so far. However I encountered the following 2 issues:

1. the horizon is tilted by about 3°. If I do the automatic gimbal calibration, it looks fine on the ground, but then when I take off it's still tilted. Also, the tilt angle varies depending on the heading (and it can be anywhere between 1.5° and 5°). Any clue on how to fix that? Maybe I should play with the yaw setting of the manual gimbal calibration? Or do I need an IMU calibration? (scared to do that on a brand new drone though)

2. when hovering in place, even with good GPS lock and when close to the ground with recognizable patterns (so the visual positioning system should work well), the drone tends to move around back/forward by about 10-20 centimeters. Is that within range of tolerance or could something be off? Any experiences? I'm coming from a Mavic Pro and Mavic Air, they didn't do that, so I'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what is not.

The Mini 2 is on firmware 1.02, using DJI Fly 1.2.2 on iOS 14.3.

Thank you
2021-1-9
Use props
djiuser_4tKq49j3kzlK
lvl.1
New Zealand

Same thing for me. Maybe after the firmware upgrade?
2021-1-9
Use props
djiuser_SYDBfRQr5xCV
New

Lithuania

djiuser_4tKq49j3kzlK Posted at 1-9 12:07
Same thing for me. Maybe after the firmware upgrade?

Se for me as well
2021-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think an IMU calibration may help on the ground gimbal is straight but in the air its tilted. It could be IMU thats off. IMU is supposed to keep correct level attitude of your drone. So try calibration of first IMU and then Gimbal.
2021-1-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-9 13:06
I think an IMU calibration may help on the ground gimbal is straight but in the air its tilted. It could be IMU thats off. IMU is supposed to keep correct level attitude of your drone. So try calibration of first IMU and then Gimbal.

I’m no expert but the wind can make it tilt to compensate for the wind.
It makes sense that it changes when it rotates.
It’s not for the horizon but is for the attitude of the drone.
That’s a good way to check if it’s windy aloft.
Doug
2021-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Donut Posted at 1-9 13:14
I’m no expert but the wind can make it tilt to compensate for the wind.
It makes sense that it changes when it rotates.
It’s not for the horizon but is for the attitude of the drone.

Yes it can but the principle of having a gimbal is when the attitude of the drone compensates for the wind the gimbal remains level.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ;
2021-1-9
Use props
djiuser_t33VptMIKqLc
New

Chile

Same here. Since it's my first drone, i tought it was just the wind when hovering (very windy here), but apparently not.
2021-1-9
Use props
djiuser_4tKq49j3kzlK
lvl.1
New Zealand

I've tried calibrating the IMU (2 or 3 times) & seems to make no difference.  Personally I've not noticed the horizontal shifting, just the 3degree tilt

2021-1-10
Use props
djiuser_4tKq49j3kzlK
lvl.1
New Zealand

2021-1-10
Use props
spawacz_rider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670594 ft
United Kingdom

I have same issue and have to send it back to DJI for replacement.
You can see my issue here
Unfortunately I was not able to fix this issue my self.
Replacement drone is OK.
2021-1-11
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110184 ft
United Kingdom

I've got this issue also, Calibrated on a flat level surface with a level so I know it's completely level, Flew off horizon looked fine and straight, Turned round in the way back and it's way out I mean way out, Just by looking at the phone screen I had about a 1 1/2 inches out not level on the horizon, No wind either.
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110184 ft
United Kingdom

spawacz_rider Posted at 1-11 04:09
You can see my issue here https://youtu.be/b3q_WVQ4-Nc
Is your replacement still ok?

Like you it's not something I was looking out for until I realised the horizon was angled when turning around.

Hardly used this and apart from the flying experience which is great and camera and video quality I am quite annoyed with the gimbal dip in normal mode and now it seems my gimbal is faulty anyway because it can't centre itself after turning a little.
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Yes, I had the same problem.
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

spawacz_rider Posted at 1-11 04:09
You can see my issue here https://youtu.be/b3q_WVQ4-Nc

2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

2021-1-19
Use props
ManuCH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 157881 ft
Switzerland

Cients Posted at 1-19 13:34
Yes, I had the same problem.

And then, how did you fix it?
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

ManuCH Posted at 1-19 13:36
And then, how did you fix it?

This video will help you to do it manually.
2021-1-20
Use props
spawacz_rider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670594 ft
United Kingdom

Fix was NEW drone. The whole point of the gimbal is to keep sh... strait. So if its failing to do the only job is design to to, is not good.
2021-1-21
Use props
Gif2Dtrade
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

There's an option in settings: Gimbal calibration, which requires to place the drone on a perfect horizontal surface.
2021-1-21
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Mine doesn't have that issue. Question though....by any chance do you do hand catches and twist the drone to turn off the motors?  I have heard that MAY screw up an IMU calibration and need to do it again.
2021-1-21
Use props
GJ1
lvl.1
New Zealand

Mine ok after now after manually calibrating then auto calibrating the gimbal rather than just auto.  Not sure if that's what fixed it but fingers crossed seems fine for now
2021-1-22
Use props
djiuser_l4yxXFuBbUWp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386621 ft
Canada

I have had the same issue with my brand new mini 2.I also have had the issue of when I land the drone and it will throw the gimbal off centre. I got in contact with dji and they told me to send it back they replaced it and I am still having the same issues. There is always something wrong with this drone.
2021-4-24
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

Wondering here.
If the ground where the drone is setting is tilted 3* when the calibration is done wouldn’t the gamble calibration be off 3* .
2021-4-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

Watching video. I’d think if you are not straight toward the horizontal it could it could do that. If there is a land mass on the horizon and higher ground it will look off.
If the land mass is angled toward you it will look off.  The only parts that will be correct is the horizontal directly straight forward from take off point. Also remember there is a curvature of the earth. So any point from direct in front of the takeoff will be off.
There are optional elusions also involved
All is just my opinion.
2021-4-26
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

I bought my Mini 2 in July and so far was very happy with it. However, last week I experienced a tilted horizon (about 5°). In addition to the tilted horizon, rather than turning on-the-spot in hover by applying yaw only, the drone "jumped" around in a small circle.

I did the following:
•        IMU calibration
•        Compass calibration
•        Camera calibration
•        Firmware flash (current release)
•        Different Android Fly app 1.4.2 / 1.4.8 (1185) / 1.4.12 (1420)
•        Smart Controller (with current FW release)
•        Standard controller with iPhone 8 (iOS 15.0.2)
•        ND filter mounted/removed
•        Replaced propellers
•        SD card removed (DJI instruction)

Nothing helped. No wind and temperatures at around 10°C during all flights. Oh and by the way, never had a crash or hard landing.
DJI asked me to send the drone to their service center, which I did this morning. We will see what happens…
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_qh7jdzDBX4Dh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214724 ft
Argentina

MeAtHome Posted at 10-19 04:46
I bought my Mini 2 in July and so far was very happy with it. However, last week I experienced a tilted horizon (about 5°). In addition to the tilted horizon, rather than turning on-the-spot in hover by applying yaw only, the drone "jumped" around in a small circle.

I did the following:

Hey, did you get any feedback? I had a similar problem (posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=246494&page=2#pid2578373). But I haven't sent it yet.
2021-10-25
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Switzerland

djiuser_qh7jdzDBX4Dh Posted at 10-25 09:39
Hey, did you get any feedback? I had a similar problem (posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=246494&page=2#pid2578373). But I haven't sent it yet.

Until now, I have no feedback from DJI.
2021-10-25
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Switzerland

djiuser_qh7jdzDBX4Dh Posted at 10-25 09:39

DJI replaced my drone under warranty. I didn’t fly much since, but everything seems ok.
2021-12-15
Use props
djiuser_odGWoOAJfGzF
New
Flight distance : 46893 ft
Indonesia

My DJI Mini 2 gimbal slightly yaw to left side. If I tried to manual straight it, it is +2.2 to +2.7 values. It's not bothering me but I am wondering if I can manage it straight without manual setting. Here I attached the picture. I tried everything to calibrate, with and without ND filter. Same result.
20220113_224948.jpg
2022-1-13
Use props
VARESE
lvl.1
United States

Had the same problems, software are all updated. CalibrationS done many times. DJI service had me redo the compass calibration again. Mini2 sent to DJI service: NOW They tell me - NO FAULT FOUND !!! I am stunned to say the least. Any advice ?
2022-1-24
Use props
djiuser_8WT8uXuKAl2Y
New

United States

I just got one off ebay and its doing the same thing, however mine gives me a gimbal calibration error
2022-3-28
Use props
djiuser_8WT8uXuKAl2Y
New

United States

Mine does the same thing, but instead actually gives me a gimbal calibration error. I got it off of ebay, so I'm hoping dji will still repair it.
2022-3-28
Use props
djiuser_8HBtZMpxt2wy
New
Flight distance : 364649 ft
Poland

Hi everyone.

Same issue with my mini2. Tried to calibrate IMU and gimball, but no effect. Gimball is not tilted all the time. It looks like it't tilted only when drone is heading in certain direction. I tried to paste a link to the movie showing the problem but I have no permission to do so.
2022-4-13
Use props
djiuser_FficrgsTftRF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70180 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Same issue on my Mini 2 and Mavic 3.
2022-4-16
Use props
djiuser_xpdnzv5y8AcG
lvl.1

India

Hello Everyone... This is exactly how I resolved this issue without taking help from a DJI Authorized Service Center :

Part 1 : https://youtu.be/sFecB9I6GFg
Part 2 : https://youtu.be/CWJVSu3PIHM
Part 3 : https://youtu.be/T5qyRwP8Upc
Part 4 : https://youtu.be/4YNAn8FELq0
Part 5 : https://youtu.be/s8-IuVaXb0o
Part 6 : https://youtu.be/xsxr5wk8pS8

Hope you will be able to resolve this issue with your Drone is the same way..
2022-6-22
Use props
djiuser_P0r5AnquQrX9
lvl.1

Canada

I got the same problem with my Mini 2.  I've been planning to send it to DJI but never got around to it as I'm enjoying my Mavic 3.
2022-9-8
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

I have this same issue and waiting for a response for Dji on what I should do.
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

united by water Posted at 12-1 13:00
I have this same issue and waiting for a response for Dji on what I should do.

Hi, united by the water. Has the drone experienced any collisions or hard landings? If so you may need to submit a repair request to get the drone fixed on the DJI facility. If the camera screen is skewed, please check whether the image transmission and the original footage are both skewed. If so, please try the steps below and see if they will help;
a. First check the wind velocity in the flight environment: The stabilization effect will be affected by strong wind. We recommend changing to another environment or waiting for some time before taking off again.
b. Please check with the control sticks: If the control stick is pushed with too much force, the aircraft speed will be high, which reduces the stabilization effect. It is recommended to push the control stick gently.
c. Please check whether the propellers are damaged or deformed. If there is any damage and deformation, it is recommended to replace the propellers. Verify that the two propellers on the same motor have the same batch number. Please use two propellers with the same batch number.
d. Ensure that the aircraft is not in S mode when flying.
e. Remove the microSD card from the aircraft. Place the aircraft in a stable status and restart it.
f. Please try with gimbal calibration, resetting gimbal parameters, and IMU calibration.
g. Connect the corresponding Assistant software for firmware updating (if the firmware is not the latest version) or refresh the firmware (if the firmware is the latest version). You can download it to your computer here: https://www.dji.com/global/downl ... sumer-drones-series.
2023-12-1
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

I've posted this issue here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=302501

To answer your questions about a-g are below. The drone has never crashed or had any type of hard landings, ever.
a. it was not windy
b. my roll movement was gentle.
c. i just replaced the props with OEM Dji props
d. no
e. i've done that.
f. i've done the gimbal calibration a few times, i can try the IMU again.
g. i will see what FW version i'm on.

2023-12-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules