558 2 2021-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CalTM
New
Flight distance : 886 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

So I got a drone last week - yay - the Mini 2. I toom the plunge after what I *thought* was extensive research on the new rules and regulations and what the with new classifications coming at some point, I thiought this was a window of opportunity to buy it now and have the freedoms the Mini 2 bought mme.

I have done a few test flights - a couple in a local park nearby and one from ym back yard. Not extremely high - the highest I went was about 120ft. The park I went to is quite near a small airport - nothing huge, it's an airport for private planes and probably a little bit of cargo, but no huge jets, and so I checked the DJI Fly app and all came up good - it said it was good to fly and that I was in an altitude zone, which is fine because from my knowledge that was about 60m height at least.

Anyway, all was fine. Fast forward a week and yesterday I saw someone mention the NATS Drone Assist app as a good one to have, so I downloaded it and to my surprise, my home and the park I'd been flying in was right in the centre of a big fat red circle, that said i needed to get permission from the airport if i wanted to fly.

I think with it being such a small airport, I wasn't aware of the 2.5m nautical mile rule and I was never planning on flying it near a big passeanger airport so I don't think I did much research. But this red area doesn't show up on the DJI at all, and told me it was safe to fly.

So now I am freaking out - obvs I've broken the law with this and now i know I'm certainly not going to be doing it again, but my question is - what next? Do I have to physically get caught to be handed a fine or warning, or is my drone trackable on the GPS and therefore am I at risk of getting some fines/warning through the post because it's shown up as having flown in a restricted airspace?? How does 'getting caught' work?

I'm so angry with myself because I did so much research about the rules and this one seems to have passed me by completely, but i'm also annoyed that the DJI Fly app doesn't show it as a restricted area, seems extreemly odd.

Any advice to confirm my worries or put my mind at ease would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
2021-1-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.
2021-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You wont get caught unless your spotted or an incident occurs,  there's no magical tracking going on unless you fly near one of the major airports as they have DJI Aeroscope.     Drone Assist always seems overly aggressive to me, and I tend to use the DJI Flysafe guidance and common sense.  
2021-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules