Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to prevent auto landing (mini 2)
7487 24 2021-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pdonker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228734 ft
Switzerland

I fly my Mini 2 in the mountains. So sometimes I take off and fly *down*, not up (i.e. if you take off from the top of the mountain). When I pull down to descend and the mini is below something like 20 m from where I started (on screen you see the height relative to start), the mini assumes it is about to land and shoots into auto land mode. Subsequently it points up the camera and beeps that it will land and start its own descend. It is really unhelpful as it destroys the film I was making.
Note I am *NOT* talking about auto landing due to low battery. There is no issue with the battery here. It is purely because it thinks it is close to the ground (while it is not).

Any clues on how to deactivate this and what the consequences are?

Thanks!
2021-1-11
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reference this thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D757%26typeid%3D757
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Interesting, but not sure about the cause.

It happens to all DJI`s when the bottom sensor measures height ** AND at the same time for short moment stick down is applied. This will command the drone to perform an autolanding.
** at 0.5 meters height autolanding can be initiate by down stick for short moment.

Bottom sensor can measure incorrect 'height' due to fog, water on the lens, reflections.

IIf you like upload your flightlog using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

In the log the bottom sensor height values are there, so it can be checked

cheers
JJB
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

OK, so the other thread pointed to "distance from takeoff" as a factor. I'll need to do some experimenting. I had the feeling I was well over 100m away from start when it wanted to land when pushing down on the stick. But I'll report back my findings.
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

pdonker Posted at 1-11 06:11
OK, so the other thread pointed to "distance from takeoff" as a factor. I'll need to do some experimenting. I had the feeling I was well over 100m away from start when it wanted to land when pushing down on the stick. But I'll report back my findings.

i do a lot of testing myself....AFAIK distance and height below HP has nothing to do with an autolanding.

Your flightlog will explain what happend. (if you like upload or put a cloud link to your flightlog on here)

cheers
JJB
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

I'm a complete noob, so first I'll need to figure out how to do that.
2021-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pdonker Posted at 1-11 06:39
I'm a complete noob, so first I'll need to figure out how to do that.

Instructions to post your log are here - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

https://app.airdata.com/flight/e6387ea60a3a2cd4d3ad109f053057dc/GENERALNotifications

At 15:15 the drone decides that it's time to land. It does it again at 16:17.
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-11 07:23
Instructions to post your log are here - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/

Unfortunately this doesn't support the Mini 2 format. At least my files show up blank in that app.
2021-1-11
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

pdonker Posted at 1-11 08:59
Unfortunately this doesn't support the Mini 2 format. At least my files show up blank in that app.

Website owner working on it!
2021-1-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both times it went into auto landing mode, the bottom sensors sensed that the ground was in very close proximity.  So with you holding the left stick down and it being in close proximity to the ground, it went into auto landing.  

Are you saying that the drone was still high above the ground and not in close proximity?
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

I'd estimate about tree height from the footage. I'd be impressed that it had an accurate ground distance reading from that high, but I am overall quite impressed with this drone, so ... But I'd argue that I should still have the ability to fly lower without control being taken away. Oddly enough it has no issue with me flying it into a tree (happened once already, ahum) but flying into the ground is well protected.
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

pdonker Posted at 1-11 08:58
https://app.airdata.com/flight/e6387ea60a3a2cd4d3ad109f053057dc/GENERALNotifications

Hi,

In both situations the VPS height sensor measured approx 0.5 meter AND throttle down for short moment.  This will force a DJI drone info an autolanding.

Few pilots lost their craft like this ; flying low over water at wanted to go even lower....first stick down no down action, but yes...than an autolanding....splash!

Can happen also in fog!  when the sensor measured faulty 0.5 meters   it will enter landing with stick down...real slow ofcourse.

cheers
JJB
2021-1-11
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

OK, yeah, then it makes sense. It must have detected the top of a tree or something. I guess that is a good thing. I'll run some more tests to get the hang of this ...

Thanks everyone
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I was the other poster about the Auto Landing proximity of 5-50m from the HomePoint when descending to the landing height.  After reviewing the CSV log manually I discovered Auto Landing initiated at a height of 17ft above and 150ft way from the HomePoint.  I had assumed I was far closer to the HomePoint height and much closer when I initially posted but the numbers are a ways out 46m.  As there was no visual reference because I was looking out over the ocean the numbers seem accurate and that I just misjudge it spatially.  

But it seems I am not the only one to have had this experience and can also attribute the change to the new firmware.

2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

pdonker Posted at 1-11 08:58

After viewing your logs I feel like we had a similar experience.  I did not try to replicate the problem or fly closer to the HomePoint below the HomePoint Height because I was over the ocean.

Here are my logs https://app.airdata.com/share/wALGmg
[url=]00m 52s[/url]17.4 ft154 ftModeMode changed to Confirm Landing

2021-1-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-11 16:23
After viewing your logs I feel like we had a similar experience.  I did not try to replicate the problem or fly closer to the HomePoint below the HomePoint Height because I was over the ocean.

Here are my logs https://app.airdata.com/share/wALGmg

John, your log also shows your VPS system registering that it thought it was in close proximity to the surface while holding the left stick down for a period of time.

2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Thanks KlooGee, That is strange I was at least 75ft above the ocean.  Possibly a refraction of light off the water?  I complete misattributed the RTH to the new firmware.  

By the way what are you using to analyze the logs?  It looks like Phantom Help.  If so how did you get the logs to read.  I have been getting blank data for the .txt and csv.
2021-1-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-11 19:03
Thanks KlooGee, That is strange I was at least 75ft above the ocean.  Possibly a refraction of light off the water?  I complete misattributed the RTH to the new firmware.  

By the way what are you using to analyze the logs?

The barometric height nor the VPS show you anywhere near 75ft high at the time.  
That is a screenshot from AirData.
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Sorry, I was not clear.  My bad.  I flew off the cliff by the ocean that is at least 50ft above the ocean.  So my distance from the ocean was at least 65ft.  Do you have the paid version of AirData.com.  
2021-1-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

John, something went wrong at 46.9 seconds. There was no reason for the VPS sensor to suddenly change from 35ft to 1.3 ft except mist on the sensor or a similar anomaly. It stays at the nearly same low value until you are over land for a while. Either that or you had a seagull flying directly underneath ;-)
I have a paid version if that can help.
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Thanks GaryDoug,

I appreciate the offer but I think it was an anomaly that only occurred for a short period of time.  I hypothesize that it maybe glare or light reflection from the ocean.  That does seem strange to me be based on the fact that I was at least 60+ft above the ocean and it did not occur at any other point during the three flights I flew in that area back to back.  

I missed Downward Vision Sensor looking through the CSV table as I never made the connection that VPS was Sonar Height in the CSC table until KlooGee used the phrase.

As you can see in the AirData.com logs Media photos I was overly cautious about descending below the HomePoint within 50m and did not drop down to get better video of the seals.
2021-1-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there pdonker. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue on your DJI Mini 2. Can you please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to structures with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.
2021-1-13
Use props
pdonker
lvl.1
Switzerland

Thanks Stephen, I will keep that in mind.
2021-1-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-13 20:29
Hello there pdonker. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue on your DJI Mini 2. Can you please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to structures with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

Hi Stephen,

Please read this post #20 in https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233198

It is a major flaw in your software! (and very simple to 'repair')

cheers
JJB
2021-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules