3D Focus - auto focus issue
8377 21 2021-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisvidkam
lvl.1
United States

The 3D Focus will calibrate but does not auto focus after wards. It worked a couple times but tried new lenses and it stoped auto focus. It will work in manual focus. Help please.
2021-1-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, thanks for reaching out. Are you currently using the RSC2? For the 3D Focus system, it is only compatible with the RS2.
And could you please tell us the lens that you use? The 3D focus only support the manual focus lenses, thanks.
2021-1-12
Use props
chrisvidkam
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-12 05:38
Hello there, thanks for reaching out. Are you currently using the RSC2? For the 3D Focus system, it is only compatible with the RS2.
And could you please tell us the lens that you use? The 3D focus only support the manual focus lenses, thanks.

Hi, yes i am using the RS2 not the RSC2. I am using the 35mm siuri anamorphic lens. It has hard stops.
2021-1-12
Use props
chrisvidkam
lvl.1
United States

chrisvidkam Posted at 1-12 18:57
Hi, yes i am using the RS2 not the RSC2. I am using the 35mm siuri anamorphic lens. It has hard stops.

sorry i posted this in the wrong page.
2021-1-12
Use props
fans6fd71a97
lvl.1

Portugal

same issue here but mine never worked. i can make calibration with sucess, manual focus works but auto focus doesnt. im using bmpcc4k with a laowa 9mm cine with hard stops, (yes, on Ronin RS2)
can anyone help here?
2021-1-14
Use props
chrisvidkam
lvl.1
United States

fans6fd71a97 Posted at 1-14 09:25
same issue here but mine never worked. i can make calibration with sucess, manual focus works but auto focus doesnt. im using bmpcc4k with a laowa 9mm cine with hard stops, (yes, on Ronin RS2)
can anyone help here?

Yeah I hear you,one was acting weird. It worked the very first time perfectly with my helios 58mm then when I tried a different lens it never worked again. It would calibrate but not auto focus. Hope someone from dji will see this post and get back to us on this
2021-1-14
Use props
KozKreole
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I got the 3D focus as I had ordered a new 16mm XEEN cine lens to use with my BMPCC6K. I must say trying to get this 3D Focus to work been hell. Unless someone can tell me what am doing wrong. upon calibration I managed to get to the stage of calibrating to the one metre distance, after that the 3D focus does not see the 4meters distance at all. I CAN NOT PASS this stage.   REPLY
2021-1-19
Use props
KozKreole
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello there, thanks for reaching out. Are you currently using the RSC2? For the 3D Focus system, it is only compatible with the RS2.
And could you please tell us the lens that you use? The 3D focus only support the manual focus lenses, thanks.

I got the 3D focus as I had ordered a new 16mm XEEN cine lens to use with my BMPCC6K. I must say trying to get this 3D Focus to work been hell. Unless someone can tell me what am doing wrong. upon calibration I managed to get to the stage of calibrating to the one metre distance, after that the 3D focus does not see the 4meters distance at all. I CAN NOT PASS this stage.

2021-1-19
Use props
KozKreole
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans6fd71a97 Posted at 1-14 09:25
same issue here but mine never worked. i can make calibration with sucess, manual focus works but auto focus doesnt. im using bmpcc4k with a laowa 9mm cine with hard stops, (yes, on Ronin RS2)
can anyone help here?

I got the 3D focus as I had ordered a new 16mm XEEN cine lens to use with my BMPCC6K. I must say trying to get this 3D Focus to work been hell. Unless someone can tell me what am doing wrong. upon calibration I managed to get to the stage of calibrating to the one metre distance, after that the 3D focus does not see the 4meters distance at all. I CAN NOT PASS this stage.

2021-1-19
Use props
Josh Troester
lvl.1

United States

Same here.  Using RS2 with both 24mm and 35mm sirui anamorphic.  Wheel calibrates, but I can't get it to see anything at 1m.  Nothing.
2021-1-24
Use props
chrisvidkam
lvl.1
United States

GREAT UPDATE!!

So great news everyone, after dealing with a bunch of emails and no response for this issue on DJI direct forum, I know the issue and how to fix it. You have to follow these steps to the T.

1. Have everything connected proper with 3D focus and focus motor to manual lens.

2. Turn on RS2 and make sure it is in Manual Focus mode, very important.

3.Go to 3D focus menu and go to calibrate, the last option not any saved presets.

4. Start calibration, make sure you can still manually focus the lens in this mode when it starts the first step of the first focus point. When it is green, manually focus the lens with the focus wheel at your pointer finger position. Once it is in focus you can confirm to the next focus point and repeat for the next focus point.

5. When it is done go to auto focus and boom it will work!

Cheers

Any questions just ask
2021-1-24
Use props
Josh Troester
lvl.1

United States

chrisvidkam Posted at 1-24 18:33
GREAT UPDATE!!

So great news everyone, after dealing with a bunch of emails and no response for this issue on DJI direct forum, I know the issue and how to fix it. You have to follow these steps to the T.

Thank you.  Can you by chance upload a video of this?  I tried it a couple of times and it didn't work.  I may be doing step 4 wrong.
2021-1-24
Use props
KozKreole
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So angry & disappointed with my DJI experience right now. My headache still getting worse. I was asked to send everything back to DJI, in The Netherlands, the 3D focus, my gimble plus one of my lens, So that their engineer will test everything as they feel I was doing something wrong. I got the 3D Focus back repaired,  as they found out it was actually faulty. My headache was getting my main RS2 gimble together with lens back from DJI. They keep ignoring my emails, until I went online and wrote a very bad review following which my gimble was shipped back to me.
But my nightmare did not end there. UPS contacted me and advise I have to pay custom duties before they will event attempt delivery.
I contacted DJI which seems to have filled the wrong paperwork’s (might be out of spite), I got no answer again from them. I have to finally pay and clear the custom duties myself
Hopefully I get the gimble today, who knows what I will get in the package
Dji surely has lost a customer
2021-4-8
Use props
Alexandre Bartheacuteleacutemy
lvl.1

France

Hi, Is there a chance the 3D Focus System will work on RSC2 anytime soon in a firmware update ?
2021-4-28
Use props
WindFish
New

Portugal

GREAT UPDATE!!

So great news everyone, after dealing with a bunch of emails and no response for this issue on DJI direct forum, I know the issue and how to fix it. You have to follow these steps to the T.

Confirmed! Your work around is good. Had the same issue on my new RS2 with 3D Focus on a Canon R5 with modified Contax  Carl Zeiss 25mm F2.8 Distagon. Did the calibration as you recommended, 3D Focus set to MF yellow light, at the first calibration point at 1 meter focused using the dial on the RS2 until the camera viewfinder confirmed focus, then hit confirmed on the RS2 screen. Repeated at second calibration point at 4 meters, focused using the dial on the RS2 until the camera viewfinder confirmed focus, then hit confirmed on the RS2 screen. 3D Focus then switched to AF green light and now works like a charm. Many thanks.
2021-8-11
Use props
dasdas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 302 ft

United States

GREAT UPDATE!!

So great news everyone, after dealing with a bunch of emails and no response for this issue on DJI direct forum, I know the issue and how to fix it. You have to follow these steps to the T.

you lil genius.
I was about to return all this gear.
how did you find a way around DJI calibration bug?
2021-12-21
Use props
RadicalBob
lvl.1

United States

This solved it for me - thanks chrisvidkam.

For anyone still confused, the trick here is that, during calibration, you absolutely have to use the gimbal's focus wheel to find your calibration points. Basically, the focus motor doesn't "know" if it's rotated manually; by adjusting it through the gimbal, you're giving it that information about what adjustments you're making.

DJI, this is not obvious from the calibration wizard - it's naturally to adjust the focus "by hand" on the lens or on the body of the focus motor. An on-screen instruction like "Use the gimbal's focus wheel" would make this clearer, so no one gets stuck on this on a shoot.
2022-4-24
Use props
fans84bac772
New
Belgium

chrisvidkam Posted at 2021-1-24 18:33
GREAT UPDATE!!

what do you mean by manual focus mode? when I go to the calibration of the 3d focus only the af mode is available I cannot switch to the mf mode?
2022-7-18
Use props
v_xoplanet
New

United Kingdom

@chrisvidkam you are a star. Followed your guide to the T and it worked!
thank you, you saved a Lidar sensor from going to the bin
2022-8-21
Use props
Arthography
lvl.1
Germany

Also having gotten some headaches with this:during calibration, when the gimbal is showing you 1m on the screen, use the finger wheel to rotate the lens to focus at 1m (as shown on the lens focus grading). When it shows 4m, use the finger wheel to rotate the lens to focus at 4m. Confirm each time and then it will automatically focus, finally. You’d think they could show you some more info about it…
2022-10-12
Use props
Arthography
lvl.1
Germany

Arthography Posted at 2022-10-12 12:25
Also having gotten some headaches with this:during calibration, when the gimbal is showing you 1m on the screen, use the finger wheel to rotate the lens to focus at 1m (as shown on the lens focus grading). When it shows 4m, use the finger wheel to rotate the lens to focus at 4m. Confirm each time and then it will automatically focus, finally. You’d think they could show you some more info about it…

ok, one more thing. So there are two menu items which you need to use. One is in the menu pulled from the right (focus motor calibration) and the other one is in the second part of the menu pulled from the left (3d focus). So there you can also add configurations for several lenses you mostly use so you can select on the go the right one.
2023-5-28
Use props
NielsP
lvl.1
United States

I just found this thread since I am unable to calibrate the 3d focus system. During calibration, when I focus on the 1m target, the screen tells me "Current: N/A" and it's not possible to click the confirm button. Any suggestions on how to resolve that? Thank you.
4-26 17:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules