Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New DJI Smart Controller Firmware Released (01/12/2021)
123Next >
23145 87 2021-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Overview:
  • Date: 2021.01.12
  • Smart Controller Firmware: v01.00.0880
  • DJI GO 4 App: v4.3.38
  • DJI Pilot App:  v1.8.0
  • DJI Fly App:v1.2.2
  • DJI Assistant 2: DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.14

What’s New?
  • Fixes crashing issues and improves app stability.
  • Add local data mode.

Notes:
  • A Smart Controller with a firmware version of v01.00.04.75 or earlier must be updated using DJI Assistant 2. Download the latest DJI Assistant 2, and follow the steps in Firmware Update section in the DJI Smart Controller User Manual. Download DJI Assistant 2 at https://www.dji.com/cn/mavic-2/info#downloads
  • Contact DJI Support if the update fails several times.

2021-1-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, surprised to see another update so soon. Slowly downloading as I type.
2021-1-11
Use props
hyperone
New

United States

This controller would sell like hot cakes if you added support for the Mini 2. But as I've seen comments on other posts you aren't planning on it. Please don't continue down this path like other companies choose to ignore your users. Please listen to your users and at least try and give us what we ask instead of a cold shoulder.

Oh also please add support for the Mini 2 controller to Flight Simulator
2021-1-11
Use props
djiuser_fYFtQBD0fiA8
lvl.1

Australia

This was badly needed, fly app crashed every time, sometimes twice when I fly the Mavic Air 2 (Radio stays connected). Will report back tonight after testing.
2021-1-11
Use props
Schumpi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4380 ft
Belgium

Please DJI be clear. Will the smart controller become compatible with the mini 2 or not? I still have a smart controller and a mini 2, but no more MA2. Should I sell the smart controller or not? Obviously prefer to keep it.
Is there a glimmer of hope??
2021-1-12
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

hyperone Posted at 1-11 19:31
This controller would sell like hot cakes if you added support for the Mini 2. But as I've seen comments on other posts you aren't planning on it. Please don't continue down this path like other companies choose to ignore your users. Please listen to your users and at least try and give us what we ask instead of a cold shoulder.

My understanding is that the MM2 uses the Occusync for video and WiFi for control and the DJI fly ap supplies its own WiFi protocol rather than piggy back on a local HotSpot. This being so I suspect there is some significant re-engineering to adapt the Fly ap to work on the SC. Occusync is shared between the 2 devices but the WiFi for AC control is not, so the SC is half way compatible!

My experience with DJI is that big software changes like this take them a long time, they seem to follow the easiest route to push hardware and take thier sweet time with software. It took them months to fix the clock errors for example. The SC certainly has the potential to emit WiFi but converting DJI fly to sit on the SC when it is built for 'standard' 2.4 gHz RC is probably a lower priority than bug fixing on the basic consumer package.

However, as the Mavic Air2 (edited thanks Repaid1!)  is now supported on the SC the Mini2 can't be far behind?

There is another strand to this. The SC is now compatible with the latest Matrice series: could this mean the SC is seen as a professional ( expensive/premium) device and 'locking out' entry level devices protects the 'premium' status of the product?   

Like so much with DJI, as market dominators we just have to wait and see what they will do.
2021-1-12
Use props
Repaid1
lvl.3
United States

My train of thought is much like the above post. But to add, the thought of thinking DJI would gain any significant sales of Smart Controllers by releasing support for a mini 2 seems a bit out of scope. This SC was released for aircraft that are/were 3-4 or 6 times more expensive than the base level Mini 2. They added the support for the MA2 (not the MA, as reported above).

Following almost all significant threads on the SC on the biggest R/C sites shows a very little interest., or purchase by MA2 sales sector which seems to be the number one selling drone at present. More over most people that have a SC already bought the MA2 because of SC support not the other way around. Thinking that "most" people own a Mavic 2 series and MA2 and then a Mini 2 is got to be a extremely low percent of ownership so no gain there. As I see "most" most have a M2P/Z and now a MA2...and little interest in the smaller Mini 2.

Thinking anyone that solely owns a Mini 2 would shell out $750 for a remote is absurd for sales impact, although some people have way to much cents than sense . I highly doubt DJI is fast tracking any support for the Mini 2 at this point, given what we know posted above. I would imagine the anticipated Mavic 3 series is going to be implemented as anything at the higher tier already is. That being said, one can hold out and hope...as has been proven the squeaky wheel gets the grease at DJI from all past improvements, but IMHO there isn't enough time investment to sales to really prompt them to invest down that path, too much manpower and design to offset any sales, again IMHO.
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

hyperone Posted at 1-11 19:31
This controller would sell like hot cakes if you added support for the Mini 2. But as I've seen comments on other posts you aren't planning on it. Please don't continue down this path like other companies choose to ignore your users. Please listen to your users and at least try and give us what we ask instead of a cold shoulder.

Hot cakes are inexpensive.  This controller costs twice as much as the Mini..... about 800 servings of Hot Cakes :-)
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have a relatively slow home internet connection, exacerbated by multiple users.  Results in auto sign outs during the lengthy download process. (Happens with OS updates as well so not a fault of DJI).  Those of you with similar system limitations might want to wait a day or two and during "none school / work times" :-)
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have a relatively slow home internet connection, exacerbated by multiple users.  Results in auto sign outs during the lengthy download process. (Happens with OS updates as well so not a fault of DJI).  Those of you with similar system limitations might want to wait a day or two and during "none school / work times" :-)
[Edit: lunchtime for the family, so I snatched the internet connection to update.  One hour- 45... see below Poste #17]
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

OFFLINE MAPS OFFLINE MAPS OFFLINE MAPS OFFLINE MAPS... yes, I understand it is a Fly App, but without firmware support, it's just a "Fly on the wall" waiting for a path.
2021-1-12
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 1-12 04:00
My understanding is that the MM2 uses the Occusync for video and WiFi for control and the DJI fly ap supplies its own WiFi protocol rather than piggy back on a local HotSpot. This being so I suspect there is some significant re-engineering to adapt the Fly ap to work on the SC. Occusync is shared between the 2 devices but the WiFi for AC control is not, so the SC is half way compatible!

My experience with DJI is that big software changes like this take them a long time, they seem to follow the easiest route to push hardware and take thier sweet time with software. It took them months to fix the clock errors for example. The SC certainly has the potential to emit WiFi but converting DJI fly to sit on the SC when it is built for 'standard' 2.4 gHz RC is probably a lower priority than bug fixing on the basic consumer package.

Where did you hear that the Mini 2 uses WiFi for control instead of OcuSync?  I find it very hard to believe.  

And yes, DJI make the Mini 2 supported by the Smart Controller!
2021-1-12
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure about the MM2 using Wi-Fi for the control signal. It has an operational range of 3 miles in some of the range test videos I've watched of it, and probably more. Comparable to the other Ocusync aircraft like my MA2 and MP2. Wi-Fi wouldn't have near that kind of range.... I'm more inclined to agree that it doesn't make sense to add support for a $250-300 aircraft in a $750 controller. At least not a high priority anyway, especially if there is some engineering problem with doing so....
2021-1-12
Use props
Dave S3
lvl.2
United States

what will drive sales is that those who already own the SC will have a little more reason to go out and get the mini 2 as there are people who are waiting. Or, perhaps some SC sales from those who bought mini 2 but like the dedicated device - don't forget, some who buy mini 2 are not necessarily constrained by budget for this stuff. But then owning a mini 2 and SC, may upgrade to air 2, etc. So it's about making the whole ecosystem work together, not artificially excluding devices that can work together. Smart move will be to make the SC work with mini 2 and DJI are pretty smart - so my bet is that yes it will be released and the update to dji fly 1.2.2 in this release is part of that plan.
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Done.  Hour and 45 minutes via Assistant 2 for Mavic.  FWIW, the controller 're-booted' twice following the/during the Updating process.  Although my 'auto off' was set to the max 30 minutes, and the screen went black during the "installing" step, when the third "updating" step started the unit started again (then didn't the subsequent double restart mentioned earlier)
2021-1-12
Use props
FloridaNext
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

WebParrot Posted at 1-12 10:28
Done.  Hour and 45 minutes via Assistant 2 for Mavic.  FWIW, the controller 're-booted' twice following the/during the Updating process.  Although my 'auto off' was set to the max 30 minutes, and the screen went black during the "installing" step, when the third "updating" step started the unit started again (then didn't the subsequent double restart mentioned earlier)

Lucky you. I wasted the last 3 hours without avail. I give up and try it later this week. We should donate some bucks so DJI can afford better update servers.
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FloridaNext Posted at 1-12 10:31
Lucky you. I wasted the last 3 hours without avail. I give up and try it later this week. We should donate some bucks so DJI can afford better update servers.

And when she said "phew... it looks like I'm NOT pregnant!" .... It's all about timing ;-).  
2021-1-12
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

KlooGee Posted at 1-11 19:27
Wow, surprised to see another update so soon. Slowly downloading as I type.
I Updated via the Smart Controller easy as pie.

Still no Mini 2 Support

2021-1-12
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

luciens Posted at 1-12 08:36
I'm not sure about the MM2 using Wi-Fi for the control signal. It has an operational range of 3 miles in some of the range test videos I've watched of it, and probably more. Comparable to the other Ocusync aircraft like my MA2 and MP2. Wi-Fi wouldn't have near that kind of range.... I'm more inclined to agree that it doesn't make sense to add support for a $250-300 aircraft in a $750 controller. At least not a high priority anyway, especially if there is some engineering problem with doing so....

Dji mini2 uses occusync 2.0
same as ma2 , m2p , m2z , p4pv2...
One Controller for all just makes so much sense.
2021-1-12
Use props
Gjuro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1051375 ft
Croatia

update SC OTA cca. 15 min.
2021-1-12
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 1-12 04:00
My understanding is that the MM2 uses the Occusync for video and WiFi for control and the DJI fly ap supplies its own WiFi protocol rather than piggy back on a local HotSpot. This being so I suspect there is some significant re-engineering to adapt the Fly ap to work on the SC. Occusync is shared between the 2 devices but the WiFi for AC control is not, so the SC is half way compatible!

My experience with DJI is that big software changes like this take them a long time, they seem to follow the easiest route to push hardware and take thier sweet time with software. It took them months to fix the clock errors for example. The SC certainly has the potential to emit WiFi but converting DJI fly to sit on the SC when it is built for 'standard' 2.4 gHz RC is probably a lower priority than bug fixing on the basic consumer package.

The SC is a premium accessory, if there is the potential to use it on an entry level device I don't see what DJI has to loose? It's just another market segment they can make money on.  I have the MA2 already I have the SC already and I also have the MM2 and there will be plenty of MM2 owners who wold go for the SC also.
2021-1-12
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FloridaNext Posted at 1-12 10:31

They probably had some good Amazon servers until they got added to the naughty list.  (said half-jokingly)
2021-1-12
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Andy Uk Posted at 1-12 12:26
The SC is a premium accessory, if there is the potential to use it on an entry level device I don't see what DJI has to loose? It's just another market segment they can make money on.  I have the MA2 already I have the SC already and I also have the MM2 and there will be plenty of MM2 owners who wold go for the SC also.

Yep, I've got the M2P, the MA2, and the Mini2.  I'd love to able to fly them all via the SC.  I personally hate flying with my phone!
2021-1-12
Use props
maurotandofilm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16041247 ft
  • >>>
Italy

plz DJI include min2 support...with sc.
2021-1-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2021-1-12
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Guys please don't forget it's not up to DJI to think whether it is profitable to make the Smart Controller support the Mini2. DJI promised the Smart Controller will support any future drones using Occusync 2.0 when it was released in 2019. We are just asking DJI to fulfill a promise here.
2021-1-12
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneJunkieQc Posted at 1-12 11:58
Dji mini2 uses occusync 2.0
same as ma2 , m2p , m2z , p4pv2...
One Controller for all just makes so much sense.

Yeah that's what I thought. And I totally agree they should add support for the Mini 2. It's probably on their ToDo list already, they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I finally broke down and ordered a SC yesterday myself. I can use my MP2 because I have the DJI goggles, but my MA2 just sits in the bag because I have to use a phone. My iPad pro makes an awesome terminal for it but it too is invisible outside. So decided to get the SC so I can use my goggles via HDMI and finally put some flight time on my MA2....
2021-1-12
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

Thanks, It worked.
2021-1-12
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

Thanks, It worked.  Failed the first time but went smoothly on the second try.
2021-1-12
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

luciens Posted at 1-12 14:38
Yeah that's what I thought. And I totally agree they should add support for the Mini 2. It's probably on their ToDo list already, they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I finally broke down and ordered a SC yesterday myself. I can use my MP2 because I have the DJI goggles, but my MA2 just sits in the bag because I have to use a phone. My iPad pro makes an awesome terminal for it but it too is invisible outside. So decided to get the SC so I can use my goggles via HDMI and finally put some flight time on my MA2....

Sweet! Congratulations on your excellent purchase.
2021-1-13
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mini 2 support....... Waiting
2021-1-13
Use props
WJvdBh
lvl.1

Germany

´add local data mode´? where can I see/find it and what does it do?
2021-1-13
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 216778 ft
United Kingdom

It's unlikely that someone who got a Mini 2 for Christmas is going to invest in a Smart Controller, for sure.

But, looking at it from the other angle, with the new EASA/CAA rules, it makes sense for people with 'bigger' DJI drones to grab a Mini 2, so that they can fly in the A1 category. Many will have the SC, and so adding Mini 2 support might drive Mini 2 sales.

Just my 2 cents worth.
2021-1-13
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 1-12 12:54
Guys please don't forget it's not up to DJI to think whether it is profitable to make the Smart Controller support the Mini2. DJI promised the Smart Controller will support any future drones using Occusync 2.0 when it was released in 2019. We are just asking DJI to fulfill a promise here.

I didn't pay much attention to what they "promised" when it was released, so I don't know who said what (if you have information, please share),  The official materials at release time only said:

"It can be paired with DJI's newest drones including Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro[1] which use DJI's OcuSync 2.0 video transmission system, displaying vivid images in Full HD resolution."

The footnote reads:
"[1] DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise series will be supported in future updates."

So, the official release information didn't promise every future drone. just the existing newest ones and the Enterprise series in the future....

As a total guess, it will happen in the next few months. I assume they are going through testing and such.

2021-1-13
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Short time DJI chage SC from .0860  to .0680  i think DJI added more bugs as the had removed in .0860
2021-1-13
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Monkey007 Posted at 1-12 12:54

DJI and promise ist not compatieble, i know , but the customer must kick DJI from time to time. DJI add support for the P4v2.0 too, after a lot of kick`s.
-> https://twitter.com/DJISupport/status/1349213690378153985  (Hello there, currently there is no plan on the compatibility for the DJI Mini 2)
2021-1-13
Use props
FloridaNext
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

knarfboy Posted at 1-13 08:16
Short time DJI chage SC from .0860  to .0680  i think DJI added more bugs as the had removed in .0860

Really? Could you please name some so that we all know about it?
2021-1-13
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JEZ2 Posted at 1-13 07:44
I didn't pay much attention to what they "promised" when it was released, so I don't know who said what (if you have information, please share),  The official materials at release time only said:

"It can be paired with DJI's newest drones including Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro[1] which use DJI's OcuSync 2.0 video transmission system, displaying vivid images in Full HD resolution."

Because the wordings you see now on DJI's website are not exactly the same as what they were when the Smart Controller was released 2 years ago. DJI has since done some 'rewording' and added some footnotes. That's why I now take regular screen shots of DJI's website on every new/old product.
Just imagine Apple selling you a charger claiming it will support future iPhones with a Lightning connector; and then a year later they add some footnotes on its website saying currently it supports the iPhone 8 & iPhone X. And then the iPhone 11 comes out, it has a Lightning connector, but it's not supported...

2021-1-13
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

FloridaNext Posted at 1-13 09:07
Really? Could you please name some so that we all know about it?

I wrote  "i think"  not "i Know".
2021-1-13
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 1-13 10:00
Because the wordings you see now on DJI's website are not exactly the same as what they were when the Smart Controller was released 2 years ago. DJI has since done some 'rewording' and added some footnotes. That's why I now take regular screen shots of DJI's website on every new/old product.
Just imagine Apple selling you a charger claiming it will support future iPhones with a Lightning connector; and then a year later they add some footnotes on its website saying currently it supports the iPhone 8 & iPhone X. And then the iPhone 11 comes out, it has a Lightning connector, but it's not supported...

The wording I took was from the actual release date, not what it is on the website today.  (The website today includes the Air 2, which is obviously  not what I posted).

I don't think Apple (or hardly any company) makes many claims about future, unreleased products.  Can't imagine too many corporate lawyers allowing a statement like "will work with all future lightning cable products).  Apple's site is exactly like DJI's.  If you go look at a lightning cable and click on "compatibility" it lists every previous and current device it works with.  No claims about future devices.  

If you saved DJI screenshots on where they promised all future devices, it would be good to share.
2021-1-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules