Overlays on Mini 2 video
12Next >
13223 45 2021-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is it possible to overlay flight parameters such as speed, heading, altitude, lat, long etc on the video from a Mavic Mini 2.  I can't find anything in the Fly app which would do this while the video is being captured so was wondering if it can be done in post using Flight Record data or somesuch.  Or even in a different app.
Thanks and regards

2021-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you been to DJI Fly application then tap Go Fly > General Settings > Camera > Advanced Settings > then enable Video Subtitles.
2021-1-13
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Captain DAFlys.  Errr, yes.  Or at least I thought I had turned it on but I dont see anything on the downloaded video so thought it did something else.  I'll double check though.  Tnx again
EDIT:
OK, I've checked and flown a short flight to check.  Video Subtitles are 'On' (switch is blue) in the Fly App (v.1.2.1) but no flight data is overlaid on video.  I'm using a Samsung A5 running Android 8.0. Aircraft firmware is 1.02.0100.  Rc firmware is 2.00.1200.  I've got a feeling I'm missing something here.
Tnx and regards

EDIT 2:
Problem solved!  I discovered that I had to also enable Subtitles in the app (VLC) I use to view the Mini 2 videos.  It doesnt display all the parameters I was hoping for but the main ones are there, plus some camera settings.  The nice thing though is that the Mini 2 flight data is presented as an overlay and not burned into the video so it can be switched on/off after capture.  It also means I dont have to decide (remember) to turn it on or off before a flight.  I just leave it on.  Thanks for your help DAFlys.  You put me on the right track.

2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-13 03:39
Thanks Captain DAFlys.  Errr, yes.  Or at least I thought I had turned it on but I dont see anything on the downloaded video so thought it did something else.  I'll double check though.  Tnx again
EDIT:
OK, I've checked and flown a short flight to check.  Video Subtitles are 'On' (switch is blue) in the Fly App (v.1.2.1) but no flight data is overlaid on video.  I'm using a Samsung A5 running Android 8.0. Aircraft firmware is 1.02.0100.  Rc firmware is 2.00.1200.  I've got a feeling I'm missing something here.

Spot on about turning on subtitles,  sorry I assumed that you knew that,  But please you've got it sorted.
2021-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-13 03:39
Thanks Captain DAFlys.  Errr, yes.  Or at least I thought I had turned it on but I dont see anything on the downloaded video so thought it did something else.  I'll double check though.  Tnx again
EDIT:
OK, I've checked and flown a short flight to check.  Video Subtitles are 'On' (switch is blue) in the Fly App (v.1.2.1) but no flight data is overlaid on video.  I'm using a Samsung A5 running Android 8.0. Aircraft firmware is 1.02.0100.  Rc firmware is 2.00.1200.  I've got a feeling I'm missing something here.

If you sync your logs with airdata you get extract a KML file of your flight and then do some cool stuff with it like this -
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 00:41
Have you been to DJI Fly application then tap Go Fly > General Settings > Camera > Advanced Settings > then enable Video Subtitles.

What does it add?
2021-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That turns on the recording of subtitles that include location, speed, camera settings etc.
2021-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 06:20
That turns on the recording of subtitles that include location, speed, camera settings etc.

Oh cool.
Is that embedded in the video output?
2021-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-15 06:26
Oh cool.
Is that embedded in the video output?

Yes on the fly app it’s embedded and you need a viewer like vlc to see it.  For older drones it’s written to a separate text file with time codes.
2021-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 06:35
Yes on the fly app it’s embedded and you need a viewer like vlc to see it.  For older drones it’s written to a separate text file with time codes.

Ok.
I have not tried it.
Not sure if Vegas Pro does read that info.
2021-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-15 06:39
Ok.
I have not tried it.
Not sure if Vegas Pro does read that info.

VLC seems to do a good job.
2021-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 07:03
VLC seems to do a good job.

I have that
Now just see if it is available for M2 too.
2021-1-15
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 01:59
If you sync your logs with airdata you get extract a KML file of your flight and then do some cool stuff with it like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1FpFi54iE

WOW!  That's really cool.  Thank you.  I tried to drop one of my KML's into Ayvri but it says it needs to be in IGC or GPX format.  Did you convert yours or have I missed something?
2021-1-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-15 07:35
I have that
Now just see if it is available for M2 too.

VLC displays the subtitles in the .mp4 file from my Mini 2 but my editing software, NCH VideoPad, doesn't read the subtitle sub-stream and consequently I cannot edit a video and retain the subtitles.  I have tried to find a way to 'burn' the subtitles into the video but no luck so far.  The text font is a bit big for me so looking to see how I can adjust that too.
2021-1-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 01:58
Spot on about turning on subtitles,  sorry I assumed that you knew that,  But please you've got it sorted.

No apologies necessary DAFlys.  You have been a great help.
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 08:20
No apologies necessary DAFlys.  You have been a great help.

no probs,  happy flying and I look forward to you posting some of your work here.
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 04:26
WOW!  That's really cool.  Thank you.  I tried to drop one of my KML's into Ayvri but it says it needs to be in IGC or GPX format.  Did you convert yours or have I missed something?

My bad,  its the GPX you download from airdata not the kml.
2021-1-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-16 08:30
My bad,  its the GPX you download from airdata not the kml.

Silly me!  I should have done the 2+2 math myself.  Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.  It really does look cool
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 09:19
Silly me!  I should have done the 2+2 math myself.  Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.  It really does look cool

Maybe you'll post something?
2021-1-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BTW, Ive sort of found a way to tweak and burn the camera/flight parameter subtitles in the video from my Mavic Mini 2.  Its a bit clutzy and not elegant but here is how I did it - in brief:

1.  Make sure that 'Video Subtitles' are turned ON in the DJI Fly app before you record your flight
2.  Transfer the mp4 video from the drone to the computer
3.  Install 'Subtitle Editor' from www.nikse.dk (open source)
4.  Open the mp4 video in Subtitle Editor (SE).  I had a few issues here but the guy who wrote the program soon helped me sort it. (TIP.  Install the mpv library.  Very straightforward from the SE app).  SE will apparently perform various editing functions on subtitles but I have not explored this yet
5.  Save the subtitles as a separate file (.srt)
6.  Open the drone video in NCH Videopad (other video editing programs may also be suitable)
7.  Open and include the subtitle file (.srt) in Videopad.  Subtitle text font size/shadow/outline can be adjusted here too
8. Export the video with Subtitle set to 'Overlay' to a new filename in whatever format you choose.

The subtitles will now be burned into the video.  Here is an example:
https://youtu.be/lenRyPysWTE
Hope that this is useful to someone.  Let me know if there is an easier way please.

2021-1-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-16 09:51
Maybe you'll post something?

I plan to but need to brush up on my piloting skills a bit, as the clip I posted on overlays demonstrates .  I also need to not get carried away with the enthusiasm of flying the thing and remember to start recording - doh!  How many times can I make THAT mistake.  
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 09:54
BTW, Ive sort of found a way to tweak and burn the camera/flight parameter subtitles in the video from my Mavic Mini 2.  Its a bit clutzy and not elegant but here is how I did it - in brief:

1.  Make sure that 'Video Subtitles' are turned ON in the DJI Fly app before you record your flight

Those subtitles look great. And you managed to capture a rare postie.
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 10:09
I plan to but need to brush up on my piloting skills a bit, as the clip I posted on overlays demonstrates .  I also need to not get carried away with the enthusiasm of flying the thing and remember to start recording - doh!  How many times can I make THAT mistake.

Nothing wrong with that clip.  
2021-1-17
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 01:01
Those subtitles look great. And you managed to capture a rare postie.

That's Kevin the Postie.  He's a diamond.  As much a social worker as postie.
2021-1-17
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 01:01
Nothing wrong with that clip.

Thanks
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-17 04:51
That's Kevin the Postie.  He's a diamond.  As much a social worker as postie.

We’re getting post about once a week at the moment due to the amount of posties at our sorting office isolating or worse.  
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You’re very welcome.
2021-1-17
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 06:55
We’re getting post about once a week at the moment due to the amount of posties at our sorting office isolating or worse.

Oh blimey!  We're lucky then.  He delivers every day (Mon-Sat), usually around 12'ish.  When he has a day off though, the relief generally arrives closer to 10:30 as they don't chat to the village residents as much as Kevin.  The Old Dear's love him.  It's probably the only chat some of them have that day - albeit from 2m away.  Bless him.

BTW, I managed to get Ayvri (thanks for the tip ) to generate some flight profiles.  Its pretty impressive and entertaining.  Now planning a flight of two later in the week if the weather plays ball.  I'll post if it does.  Stay safe.
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-17 09:25
Oh blimey!  We're lucky then.  He delivers every day (Mon-Sat), usually around 12'ish.  When he has a day off though, the relief generally arrives closer to 10:30 as they don't chat to the village residents as much as Kevin.  The Old Dear's love him.  It's probably the only chat some of them have that day - albeit from 2m away.  Bless him.

BTW, I managed to get Ayvri (thanks for the tip ) to generate some flight profiles.  Its pretty impressive and entertaining.  Now planning a flight of two later in the week if the weather plays ball.  I'll post if it does.  Stay safe.

I think you are very lucky.   Our posties is like clockwork when she comes,  she told me over Christmas if they managed to catch up on their rounds they got pulled off to do other rounds.   

Looking forward to seeing what you produce,  just dont get caught breaching lockdown.
2021-1-17
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 09:37
I think you are very lucky.   Our posties is like clockwork when she comes,  she told me over Christmas if they managed to catch up on their rounds they got pulled off to do other rounds.   

Thanks.  I shouldn't get caught though.  I can walk to where I plan to fly from.  Its less than a mile.  Fingers crossed though, eh?
2021-1-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-16 04:34
VLC displays the subtitles in the .mp4 file from my Mini 2 but my editing software, NCH VideoPad, doesn't read the subtitle sub-stream and consequently I cannot edit a video and retain the subtitles.  I have tried to find a way to 'burn' the subtitles into the video but no luck so far.  The text font is a bit big for me so looking to see how I can adjust that too.

I'm not really going to implement this I guess.
There is more flexible software to use the log files.
I think it is called 'dashware' or something.
Never tried it, but sometimes you see examples here.
2021-1-17
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-17 11:36
I'm not really going to implement this I guess.
There is more flexible software to use the log files.
I think it is called 'dashware' or something.

Thanks for the heads-up Montfrooij.  I'll keep an eye out for it.
2021-1-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-17 09:43
Thanks.  I shouldn't get caught though.  I can walk to where I plan to fly from.  Its less than a mile.  Fingers crossed though, eh?

I went to Horsey over Christmas to see if the seals had come onto the shore this year,  we had a nice walk along the coast and saw them.  A couple of days ago I read that the police were caped out in the carpark fining people as they arrived,  this part of the shoreline is quite unpopulated so there wont be many people able to walk there and I guess they knew that.
2021-1-18
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-18 01:50
I went to Horsey over Christmas to see if the seals had come onto the shore this year,  we had a nice walk along the coast and saw them.  A couple of days ago I read that the police were caped out in the carpark fining people as they arrived,  this part of the shoreline is quite unpopulated so there wont be many people able to walk there and I guess they knew that.

Interesting.  The beach at Holkham is very popular with visitors to the area and although the beach is very large the car park (cap 300+) is often rammed and has attracted the attention of the police.  Not helped by the fact that some visitors don't understand what 2m is, or group size limits.  Sigh.
2021-1-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-18 02:01
Interesting.  The beach at Holkham is very popular with visitors to the area and although the beach is very large the car park (cap 300+) is often rammed and has attracted the attention of the police.  Not helped by the fact that some visitors don't understand what 2m is, or group size limits.  Sigh.

Group size limits,  hmm. how hard is 1+1,   not family+family or family +1.   Its crazy around here at the moment.
2021-1-18
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-18 02:38
Group size limits,  hmm. how hard is 1+1,   not family+family or family +1.   Its crazy around here at the moment.

Apparently some of the visitors here are alternative universe/string theorists where perhaps 1+1 = something closer to 10, or any number you care to choose.  Sad.

Ive taken a few shots this morning and will post later.  Nothing spectacular, but its a start.  Looks like Ive got to resize them first as out-of-the-drone photos are ~4Mb but upload limit is 1Mb.
2021-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-18 01:44
Thanks for the heads-up Montfrooij.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

You're welcome!
2021-1-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-18 02:59
Apparently some of the visitors here are alternative universe/string theorists where perhaps 1+1 = something closer to 10, or any number you care to choose.  Sad.

Ive taken a few shots this morning and will post later.  Nothing spectacular, but its a start.  Looks like Ive got to resize them first as out-of-the-drone photos are ~4Mb but upload limit is 1Mb.

Start a new thread describing the shots,  then use the reply box at the bottom and the size limit is not a problem.
2021-1-18
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-18 03:58
Start a new thread describing the shots,  then use the reply box at the bottom and the size limit is not a problem.

OK, that's  really handy tip, thanks.  Every day a school day eh?

Ive posted some resized photos in Works/Nature (I guess that's the right place, maybe) but will use your tip in future, particularly as the uploaded 'Description' for each doesn't seem to show.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233961
2021-1-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-18 04:15
OK, that's  really handy tip, thanks.  Every day a school day eh?

Ive posted some resized photos in Works/Nature (I guess that's the right place, maybe) but will use your tip in future, particularly as the uploaded 'Description' for each doesn't seem to show.

Cool.  I'll check them out.
2021-1-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules