1939 17 2021-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pixdealer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 945981 ft
Slovenia

Hello.

On my new one month old Mavic Mini 2 I have noticed horizontal banding, on every RAW DNG photo and under every condition, from 1/2000s to 2s, sunny, cloudy and every weather.
My card is the latest SandiskExtreme 128gb and fast enough (U3).
Please find the crops from the images - exported RAWS. You can clearly see the banding in the images. It is NOT an export issue - I have tested 2 other Mini 2's from friends - none has this issue.

I have contacted DJI support but they gave me a kind of 'you are a newbie, you do not get it' answer. I am a professional photographer and videographer with 22 years of experience and 3 DJI drones, including Inspire 2.

Please find the samples of the streaks/banding below.
I need this issue urgently addressed.

AA.JPG
AAA.JPG
AAAA.jpg
2021-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Well, I give up. I cannot see any banding in the images at all, but I do see a lot of noise. It needs to be recognised that the camera sensor chip used in these small drones are not good in low light situations, they need plenty of light to produce good quality images.
2021-1-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Yeah, the only thing is see is noise as well
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like noise to me too,  the raws from this drone aren't great youre probably better sticking with the jpgs.   
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is most likely noise.
2021-1-14
Use props
George210477
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

There is a possible Horizontal banding indeed, noise is not spread but can be seen as thin lines left-right in few parts...but it will help if you load the original RAW on Google Drive and post it here...There is hard to analyze this crops.
2021-1-15
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

Obvious horizontal banding.
Defective camera
To be replaced :/
2021-1-15
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I can see lines also
2021-1-15
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

The photos seem like paintings...
2021-1-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AdmBenson Posted at 1-15 09:44
Obvious horizontal banding.
Defective camera
To be replaced :/

I think you are imagining things, there is no 'obvious horizontal banding' to be seen.
2021-1-15
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 01:41
Looks like noise to me too,  the raws from this drone aren't great youre probably better sticking with the jpgs.

Well, Raw files from M2 are ok, but only when you use a proper converter. Most of the RAW-aware apps I tested convert them badly to my surprise.
2021-1-15
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

It is difficult to see banding on the pictures.

Try to put your drone in front of a white or gray wall or use a grey card. You don't need to fly it. Check on banding on those pictures. You might do exactly the same test with one of your friends Mini2 drones and compare the pictures.
Maybe you can convince DJI with those pics.

It is a very small sensor and it will produce more noise than other models with bigger sensors.
2021-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tibzee Posted at 1-15 17:33
Well, Raw files from M2 are ok, but only when you use a proper converter. Most of the RAW-aware apps I tested convert them badly to my surprise.

What do you think is a proper converter?
2021-1-16
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

JohnDG Posted at 1-15 18:24
It is difficult to see banding on the pictures.

Try to put your drone in front of a white or gray wall or use a grey card. You don't need to fly it. Check on banding on those pictures. You might do exactly the same test with one of your friends Mini2 drones and compare the pictures.

Fixed pattern noise is not normal. I have zero FPN on my Mini2 images with Lightroom, whatever the post processing.
A good idea would be to upload a DNG @ base ISO of an uniform grey wall or a grey card defocused, as suggested.
2021-1-16
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-16 00:54
What do you think is a proper converter?

Proper = the one that correctly converts DJI's DNG files. Most of the apps I tried has serious problems with it. I usually had a nasty pinkish color cast. I know that there are tons of apps on mobile and non-mobile devices but there are only a couple of raw file libraries and it looks that one (or more) of them has problems. So far I found that "RAW Power" iOS app and Adobe's DNG engine work flawlessly.
2021-1-16
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Yep I can see banding. The DJI sensors are small and noisy but something like Topaz Gigapixel AI or Denoise AI will clean that up amazingly. I have the Mini 1 but waiting for the Mavic 3 for a better sensor but still it doesn't do a bad job once tweaked https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/ ... 9-9fcd-37f923c4305d
2021-1-16
Use props
pixdealer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 945981 ft
Italy

THE ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED - DJI ACKNOWLEDGED THE PROBLEM AND REPLACED THE ENTIRE DRONE UNDER WARRANTY /  GUARANTEE. (It was the only thing to do really).
2021-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules