2694 12 2021-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

Hi All,

Greetings from Toronto.

I just received my Mini 2 and I am super excited to get out tomorrow weather permitting for a short maiden flight. I have been messing around with Davinci Resolve recently while waiting for my Mini 2 to arrive. Currently we do not have a 4K TV in the house (I know crazy eh lol), our main TV in the family room is a nice 55 inch Panasonic LED. My question to all you Pro's is when choosing a video format is there any benefit filming in 4K and outputting in 1080P (Not sure if the quality would be superior) or filming in 1080P @ 60 FPS and outputting the same?

We are considering an upgrade to a 65 inch 4K TV but that may be later in the year. I did a little test footage with my new Osmo Mobile 3 and my Galaxy S9 Plus and to be honest I thought the 1080P footage I quickly took yesterday on a cold grey overcast day looked pretty good.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts

Stay safe

Richard
2021-1-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Most footage that is shot and edited from a drone ends up on YouTube, and YouTube is capable of 4K. To future proof yourself, shoot and finish in 4K.
2021-1-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are going to view only on your 1080p tv, I don't see the point of shooting in 4k. To me, it still looks like 1080. I cannot see any difference in viewing a 1080 image or a 4k image on my tv. Might even be a little worse with the 4k image. But someday, you may have a 4k tv and then you can view those 4k files best.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Along with what others are saying,  in 4k you'll have more room to crop if you only output 1080p
2021-1-14
Use props
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 01:42
Along with what others are saying,  in 4k you'll have more room to crop if you only output 1080p

exactly, the higher the resolution of your clups, the best results you can get when you edit them. You can crop or donwscale to your liking and will have better chances of getting  good image quality in the end, whereas if you shoot at a lower resolution and then try to zoom in or upscale the video, you'll probably get an "just ok" result.
2021-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BORRERO.MD Posted at 1-14 02:57
exactly, the higher the resolution of your clups, the best results you can get when you edit them. You can crop or donwscale to your liking and will have better chances of getting  good image quality in the end, whereas if you shoot at a lower resolution and then try to zoom in or upscale the video, you'll probably get an "just ok" result.

I totally agree.
2021-1-14
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

Thank you for all the advice Guys,

Another thing I have seen is to export an uncompressed file in Resolve and then run it through Handbrake to output the final file. Apparently Handbrake tends to output a smaller file without sacrificing the quality.  I have got lots to play with lol. My Mini 2 arrived yesterday, software & firmare updates are done and all the batteries are charged. Hoping to get a maiden flight in today :-)
2021-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

RJC_68 Posted at 1-14 04:56
Thank you for all the advice Guys,

Another thing I have seen is to export an uncompressed file in Resolve and then run it through Handbrake to output the final file. Apparently Handbrake tends to output a smaller file without sacrificing the quality.  I have got lots to play with lol. My Mini 2 arrived yesterday, software & firmare updates are done and all the batteries are charged. Hoping to get a maiden flight in today :-)

Good luck on your first flight.  Stay safe and have a great day.
2021-1-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

It really depends, space availability, needs, what the purpose of your video is for, etc. I would record anything that was a one time event, travel, etc. at the highest resolution available. As stated before you can down scale, crop, etc. But practicing flying your backyard, a park, etc. probably can be done at low resolution. Enjoy!
2021-1-14
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

videoeditman Posted at 1-14 06:26
It really depends, space availability, needs, what the purpose of your video is for, etc. I would record anything that was a one time event, travel, etc. at the highest resolution available. As stated before you can down scale, crop, etc. But practicing flying your backyard, a park, etc. probably can be done at low resolution. Enjoy!

Thank you that makes sense.

Over the coming weeks I plan on capturing some footage so I can see what sort of file sizes I am dealing with for editing and storing purposes. I have a WD 4TB drive I am using as a NAS with a Raspberry Pi and I plan on using that for the final movies and I plan on accessing them through my Kodi box
2021-1-14
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-14 06:21
Good luck on your first flight.  Stay safe and have a great day.

Thank you,

I will not be straying far for the next month due to the current COVID-19 restrictions in place lol
2021-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

RJC_68 Posted at 1-14 07:11
Thank you,

I will not be straying far for the next month due to the current COVID-19 restrictions in place lol

You're very welcome.
2021-1-15
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

For those that may be interested I spent about 40 minutes outside at lunchtime yesterday and I was blown away by the quality of the video (1080P @ 60) and pictures and that was on a grey Jan day. I made no adjustments to the camera settings. I really am going to enjoy flying this little beast

I then ran a 7 minute clip though Davinci Resolve (MP4, H264 with a 30000 BR) and it produced a 1.6GB File, The original was 2.1GB. Next I output an uncompressed clip in Davinci which was a whopping 23GB and ran it through Handbrake after (MP4, H265) and it produced a final clip of 850MB with great quality. I know it is one further step but it may help with large files. I wonder what size the 4K clips will be lol
2021-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules