Lost at Sea Memorial at Montauk Point shot on Mavic Mini
763 19 2021-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

Despite a few Strong Wind warnings and temps in the mid-30s I was able to get the MM in the air yesterday morning and whipped up this <60 sec vid (mainly so I could have something to post on Instagram ).

So I've noticed more than once lately that I've had to correct a momentary tilt in the footage. It might be off by 1-2 degrees, then normally correct itself as I ROTATE (regardless of flight direction it seems).  I've calibrated the Gimbal... this is a replacement to my first MM (which DJI replaced cuz it had a cracked frame near one front arm) and I don't recall having this much of an issue w/ the original MM I was flying. Any thoughts, suggestions, insights are welcome.  I can upload RAW vid if it will help. Here is flight data:

https://app.airdata.com/flight/ab5cb96edd25b8ed87ba57db066d0ff6

2021-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful sunrise footage.    Never had the tilt on my MM.
2021-1-14
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-14 05:28
Beautiful sunrise footage.    Never had the tilt on my MM.

Thanks DowntownRDB!  Yeah, I can't say I ever noticed it with the 1st unit I was flying. And after thinking about it a bit more I am thinking I understated the amount it's off. Sometimes it's probably more like 4 degrees or more even... to the point I don't use that footage.
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good!
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

No tilt on my M2 (except maybe in higher winds)
2021-1-14
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Thank you Montfrooij!
2021-1-14
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-14 05:53
No tilt on my M2 (except maybe in higher winds)

I have to say, this doesn't seem to be specific to wind... and when I watch the footage back the tilt will stay the same usually, until I start to rotate left <-> right 30+ degrees.
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-14 10:04
I have to say, this doesn't seem to be specific to wind... and when I watch the footage back the tilt will stay the same usually, until I start to rotate left  right 30+ degrees.

Hard to tell from behind the screen if it is wind, but if you have it in multiple situations (wind situations) and flying left against the wind and right against the wind it must be something else.
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-14 10:01
Thank you Montfrooij!

You're welcome!
2021-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome footage,  I really love the transitions you've used.
2021-1-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-14 05:35
Thanks DowntownRDB!  Yeah, I can't say I ever noticed it with the 1st unit I was flying. And after thinking about it a bit more I am thinking I understated the amount it's off. Sometimes it's probably more like 4 degrees or more even... to the point I don't use that footage.

You're very welcome.  4 degrees is quite a bit off.  Gotta be an issue there somewhere.
2021-1-15
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 01:03
Awesome footage,  I really love the transitions you've used.

Thanks so much DAFlys!!!
2021-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-15 09:52
Thanks so much DAFlys!!!

Its my pleasure.     
2021-1-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic
2021-1-17
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for watching Woe!!!
2021-1-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 1-19 06:37
Thanks for watching Woe!!!

You're welcome my friend
2021-1-25
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-15 06:10
You're very welcome.  4 degrees is quite a bit off.  Gotta be an issue there somewhere.

I've not had many opportunities to fly lately, but i saw this again today and wanted  to follow up on this gimbal tilt situation.   So I saw a 3 degree tilt in this video I captured today.  It started a little less extreme, then progressively got worse as I rotated about 90 degrees. The MM was leaning into the wind a little bit, but to me it didn't seem like the wind could have been the only factor through a 90 degree rotation. I'm including a link to the flight data so you guys can check the conditions and would appreciate any insights.  Does this just look "normal" or like the gimbal is not leveling the way it's supposed to?

2021-2-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 2-10 13:53
I've not had many opportunities to fly lately, but i saw this again today and wanted  to follow up on this gimbal tilt situation.   So I saw a 3 degree tilt in this video I captured today.  It started a little less extreme, then progressively got worse as I rotated about 90 degrees. The MM was leaning into the wind a little bit, but to me it didn't seem like the wind could have been the only factor through a 90 degree rotation. I'm including a link to the flight data so you guys can check the conditions and would appreciate any insights.  Does this just look "normal" or like the gimbal is not leveling the way it's supposed to?
[view_image]
Raw Video (1:07)

Really appears the gimbal is not leveling completely.  
2021-2-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-11 04:25
Really appears the gimbal is not leveling completely.

So, I still have DJI Care Refresh... I'm thinking I should send it in with this pic as an example of the problem, only thing is it doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not sure they'd see the problem when THEY test the unit.
2021-2-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 2-11 05:11
So, I still have DJI Care Refresh... I'm thinking I should send it in with this pic as an example of the problem, only thing is it doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not sure they'd see the problem when THEY test the unit.

Unfortunately, intermittent problems are really hard to troubleshoot.  Keep an eye on it and if it starts to get a bit worse definitely send it in under your Care Refresh.  
2021-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules