DJI Mini 2 FAQ
1579 15 2021-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lewiswalsh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 797 ft
United Kingdom

Thought it might be an idea to have a FAQ, possibly pinned by mods, to cover some of the questions I see a lot on this forum. Please add to this thread as central point for everyone. I'll start with three and will update with other people's suggestions and amendments:

Active Track
The Mini 2 only has downward-facing sensors, therefore the Mini 2 does not feature active track.

No RAW stitched panoramas
The Mini 2 can save the images used to create a panorama in RAW format (DNG). However, the resulting stitched panorama will be in JPEG format. Software such as Photoshop, Lightroom or Microsoft's free Image Composite Editor (ICE) can stitch the raw files.

Flat / D-Cinelike / D-log  video profiles
There is no flat profile available on the Mini 2. DJI have not indicated that they intend to do this.

Mini 2 Controller with simulator
DJI have stated that the Mini 2 controller will not function with the simulator and they have no plans to support it.

Mini 2 and Smart Controller
Currently, the smart controller does not work with the Mini 2.

2021-1-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi bro

cheers
JJB
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No raw panos.
2021-1-16
Use props
Herbie53
lvl.4
Belgium

Raw panos are possible!

There is a counter-intuitive logic in the DJI fly app, that only lets you change parameters for pano pictures when that function is active (in other words, you have to get your drone up, select the panorama function and then go into the settings menu with the three dots; only then will you be able to select jpeg+raw).

This has already puzzled many DJI drone owner...
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Herbie53 Posted at 1-16 09:45
Raw panos are possible!

There is a counter-intuitive logic in the DJI fly app, that only lets you change parameters for pano pictures when that function is active (in other words, you have to get your drone up, select the panorama function and then go into the settings menu with the three dots; only then will you be able to select jpeg+raw).

I thought you only got the individual images as raws not the stitched image as raw.
2021-1-16
Use props
Herbie53
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 1-16 09:54
I thought you only got the individual images as raws not the stitched image as raw.

That is correct. The stitched image in DJI fly is jpeg only and relatively low resolution.
To get a full resolution panorama you have to stitch the individual RAW files in an external program.

Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor) is a free and easy to use program to do this, but does not accept the DNG files directly. I always convert the DNG files to TIFF in RawTherapee (also free) and then stitch them in MS ICE. The resulting panorama is 138 megapixels...
2021-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Herbie53 Posted at 1-16 10:08
That is correct. The stitched image in DJI fly is jpeg only and relatively low resolution.
To get a full resolution panorama you have to stitch the individual RAW files in an external program.

So no raw panos from the mini 2 as per my original reply.  Individuals that can be post processed into a pano and then saved as a tiff at best.  
2021-1-17
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 00:58
So no raw panos from the mini 2 as per my original reply.  Individuals that can be post processed into a pano and then saved as a tiff at best.

No DJI drone that I’m aware of (and I own a lot of them) creates a RAW pano.  I don’t believe any of their competitors do either.  I personally process all of my panos (and actually all RAW pics I take)  in Adobe Lightroom which can generate a RAW pano from the individual DNG files.
2021-1-17
Use props
lewiswalsh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 797 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 00:58

Thanks, added it
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 1-17 03:00
No DJI drone that I’m aware of (and I own a lot of them) creates a RAW pano.  I don’t believe any of their competitors do either.  I personally process all of my panos (and actually all RAW pics I take)  in Adobe Lightroom which can generate a RAW pano from the individual DNG files.

But you cant save that raw pano as a DNG from Lightroom, at least not let time I tried.
2021-1-17
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-17 03:57
But you cant save that raw pano as a DNG from Lightroom, at least not let time I tried.

In LR, when you create a Pano based off of DNG files, the resulting file is a DNG file.  As far as I'm aware, its done this for as long as I've been doing this (~4 yrs).

In the attached screenshot, the "-Pano" file is the file generated by LR based off of the other 21 images.

2021-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 1-17 07:20
In LR, when you create a Pano based off of DNG files, the resulting file is a DNG file.  As far as I'm aware, its done this for as long as I've been doing this (~4 yrs).

In the attached screenshot, the "-Pano" file is the file generated by LR based off of the other 21 images.

Thanks,   Just tried it again with a 9 shot pano,  and did find the dng export option,  Im sure that wasn't there previously but in 10.1 it certainly is.   
2021-1-17
Use props
djiuser_Uh3mdMEKAC6K
New
United States

I have a question. If I was to buy a skin, would I need to use payload mode while it was on the drone or would I be alright without it?
2021-1-17
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Good to know!
Thank you.
2021-1-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Uh3mdMEKAC6K Posted at 1-17 21:05
I have a question. If I was to buy a skin, would I need to use payload mode while it was on the drone or would I be alright without it?

a skin has never triggered my payload mode and even if it did, you can turn it off (mm; not sure about m2)
2021-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules