Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FW 1.10 needs color tuning
2609 18 2021-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

I am not a pro, I don't have a lot of time to fine tune my videos, so I really appreciate when a Company can guarantee a color consistency among their products.For now, during my vacations I had troubles with colors only with the Mavic Pro, but a fine tune of DJI Go app can mitigate the issue, while using the Mavic Mini and the Osmo Pocket, I never had to tune the colors to make them match, making my video creation a lot faster.

Unfortunately Osmo Action never matched the other DJI products colors, and it doesen't even with the latest firmware, which I appreciate at least for the better exposure.
The image below is a collage of four picture shot at the same spot, at the same time (maybe a minute difference) with Auto settings, using Mavic Mini, Osmo Pocket, Osmo Action and DJI Pocket 2. I skipped Mavic Pro, cause everyone know how odd are the Auto settings for it.

Do aso you think Osmo Action definitively needs a color tuning?
I see some kind of purple tint in the sky and orange at the wall.

compare.jpg

Actually, looking at the full res files, DJI Pocket 2 also has a slight purple tint and yellow briks.
2021-1-16
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

It looks like nobody cares if the color profiles differs from product to product and if the Osmo Action in particular shows the most odd colors.
2021-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Mgozer Posted at 1-19 23:46
It looks like nobody cares if the color profiles differs from product to product and if the Osmo Action in particular shows the most odd colors.

not many have issues,  get to facebook Support if you want to hear the rep  pass it to the developers and  get back to you
2021-1-20
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

I agree that this is not a real issue, but a "nice to have".
It only makes difficult to merge videos from Osmo Action and, for example, Osmo Pocket.

In addition, having the same color profile among its product, makes a company recognizable and is a quality remark in my opinion.
2021-1-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

really seems unimportant to Support & developers as I asked them myself  with no response at all.
2021-1-24
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

Too bad.
It would take really a little effort to fix the colors.
Maybe they think the color profile is perfect as it is, but it is not really the case.
Should they add the possibility to custom tune the colors , like in DJI Go4, it would be perfect.

It would take just a few little things (generic bluetooth remote support, custom color profile, AF spot point being saved in custom preset and so on) to make this camera the perfect action cam, and it is a shame that none are being considered.
2021-1-24
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Different sensors, different cpu and different glass will give different colors.  For color matching in post, I could recommend you use a whitebalance card (color chart).
2021-1-25
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

As DJI can make an additional color profile they already got, color and C_Link, put one called camera match, for the WB  we do not have a Manual  one to use those cards.  Do we.   put to manual whitebalance and place card in front and set up.  go action filming...
2021-1-25
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

johansenfoto Posted at 1-25 03:25
Different sensors, different cpu and different glass will give different colors.  For color matching in post, I could recommend you use a whitebalance card (color chart).

Logic, but either way it is stunning how DJI managed to make the Mavic Mini and Osmo Pocket output almost look alike.
So, in spite of different hardware, it is possible to mitigate the differences.
2021-1-25
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mgozer Posted at 1-25 07:09
Logic, but either way it is stunning how DJI managed to make the Mavic Mini and Osmo Pocket output almost look alike.
So, in spite of different hardware, it is possible to mitigate the differences.

Did you use different brand of ND-filters if you did use it?
I agree on you that they have the same colors, but if you take a test with color chart, you will probably see different between Mini and Pocket.
2021-1-25
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

johansenfoto Posted at 1-25 14:08
Did you use different brand of ND-filters if you did use it?
I agree on you that they have the same colors, but if you take a test with color chart, you will probably see different between Mini and Pocket.

No, I didn't use any filter for those shots.
For sure there are differences between Mavic Mini and Osmo Pocket color profiles, but are definitely minor, compared to, for example, between Mavic Mini and Osmo Action.

The issue is only for those, like most of the users, wish to make a single video of different shots taken from the different products.
It is not so uncommon during an holiday to make some clips from the Mavic Mini and the Osmo Action, and then to face problems with the colors when creating the merged video.
2021-1-25
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks for the feedback.

dji color upgrades as new camera products are developed.

Each kinds of sensor, isp, iq standard lead to different color. It is not feasible to make different products color the same.(pocket 1 and mini 1 are simliar because they happen to use the identical component )That is the reason why each camera company provides each lut for each kind of camera log profile.

The standard procedure to do multiple camera editing is to tune the color into rec709 (or the editor ‘s own lut by experience), and then personalize the color according to the individual taste.

For the case you meet, I suggest to let all cameras use the cinelike color to shoot, and use some filters from any kind of editing app to avoid too flat cinelike color. May it help...

2021-1-26
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

DJI-ytao Posted at 1-26 07:22
Thanks for the feedback.

dji color upgrades as new camera products are developed.

Thanks for the answer.
I understand the hardware reason, I only wish DJI products to have similar color profiles, or at least the chance to customize the output, like it is possible in DJI Go 4 (I always do that for my Mavic Pro).

Next time I'll try to shoot in cinelike with all my devices and try to tune the colors in post.
Thanks for the suggestion.
2021-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

You know, even if you use Daylight white balance on different cameras, you still will get different colors. Same if you use Kelvin, because of the other variables I gave in my other post.
It is really a pain if you are working with 2 different brands, for post editing.
Since you only use DJI-products, buy a color card for best color matching.
2021-1-27
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

thanks for the suggestion
2021-1-27
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I made a video to show you how to color grade different camera sources:
2021-1-29
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Mgozer Posted at 1-20 04:53
I agree that this is not a real issue, but a "nice to have".
It only makes difficult to merge videos from Osmo Action and, for example, Osmo Pocket.

2021-1-29
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

johansenfoto Posted at 1-29 07:48
I made a video to show you how to color grade different camera sources:
https://youtu.be/Uzc1wKGSY-w

Thanks for the very informative video.
It shows me something I totally ignored.

On the other hand it shows also how much work is needed to match colors, exactly what I want to avoid
2021-2-1
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mgozer Posted at 2-1 01:05
Thanks for the very informative video.
It shows me something I totally ignored.

It's not that much work, because you do it ONCE for every possible light scenarios because you create a LUT that you will use for the rest of the sunny/cloudy days. And you guys are lucky that doesn't have blue hours, twilight and so that we have here during winter

2021-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules