No More Fly App Update Notices For Android Users
1816 16 2021-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Now that Fly app updates are no longer being sent to Google Play, how will Android users be notified of DJI Fly updates? As it stands now, Android users will no longer receive notifications of Fly updates from Google Play. The only way to be apprised of new posting is to visit various Mavic Air 2 forums or to periodically check the downloads page. For new owners I doubt many will be aware of this and thus will be using outdated software. Is there any ongoing effort to work out a solution to this issue? A couple of soltions would be -
1) Display in app notices similar to the firmware update notices.
OR
2) Send Fly app update notices via email when Fly upgrades are now posted to the Mavic Air 2 downloads page.

I'm already seeing new owners coming to the forums with outdated Fly apps. This will only get worse as time goes on.

2021-1-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Pappy3. Thanks for reaching out. Your feedback and suggestion are highly appreciated. We are currently working on this issue, and we are sorry for the inconvenience it has caused. For the time being, we advise everyone to please download DJI apps through the download page on DJI's official website if you're using an Android device. Thank you for your kind understanding.  
2021-1-16
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

I am affraid you have to check from time-to-time the forum. New versions are reported by the members.

I feel this has something to do with DJI being blacklisted by  the US. Google is a US company and may not support the Chinese blacklisted company. DJI has also removed it links to the google play store on his webside. I'm surprised the Apple store is still on.

@DJI: isn't it possible to include an update option in the app itself once you've installed a version direct downloaded from the DJI webside?

2021-1-20
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like this is being sorted. 1.2.4 now available with in-app updates.
2021-1-26
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-16 23:08
Hi, Pappy3. Thanks for reaching out. Your feedback and suggestion are highly appreciated. We are currently working on this issue, and we are sorry for the inconvenience it has caused. For the time being, we advise everyone to please download DJI apps through the download page on DJI's official website if you're using an Android device. Thank you for your kind understanding.

What's the official reason for Google/DJI not working on this? Seems Apple are ok?

In-app downloads are a bit of a no no from a tech security perspective so what's going on DJI?
2021-1-26
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

Andy Uk Posted at 1-26 00:15
Looks like this is being sorted. 1.2.4 now available with in-app updates.

Exactly where are you seeing this in-app Fly update option? The About tab still shows updates only for the database and firmware.

2021-1-26
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 1-26 00:38
Exactly where are you seeing this in-app Fly update option? The About tab still shows updates only for the database and firmware.

[view_image]

Profile, Settings, About
2021-1-28
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 1-28 09:45
Profile, Settings, About

Edit: I found it. I didn't think about having to scrool down from the left side of the screen instead of anywhere (in this case I did it from the right side). Thanks for your help. Screenshot_20210128-163626.jpg

===================================

Well that's odd, there is no "About" option under Profile => Settings. I also checked under the "About" tab from the Live View and telemetry screen. "Aircraft Firmware" and "FlySafe Database" are the only two with "Check for Updates".
Samsung Galaxy A71, Android 10
Fly v1.2.4

Screenshot_20210128-161742.jpg

2021-1-28
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome. They don't make it easy do they?
2021-1-28
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 1-28 13:54
You're very welcome. They don't make it easy do they?

No they don't, but at least users won't have visit forums or the downloads page to know when a new update is available.

I tapped "Check for Updates" and the message that popped up was "DJI Fly firmware up-to-date". I've never heard of app software being called "firmware", but at least it has "DJI Fly" in the message.
2021-1-28
Use props
Jojima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28711 ft
Costa Rica

Not having updates in play store is  areal issue, in my case my phone also has my work email and some wor apps, and due company policies we cannot download apk files, just use the official app stores (ios or android) then there is no way for me to get the app updates. is really DJI not interested in returning to play store?? downloading from no app stores is not seen as a safe and prefer option, QA done by google / apple ensure the app works fine with the OS, without it we really do not know if the app will work fine with the version updates of the operative system or will cause issues with the device, the app or the drone. please DJI can you give us an HONEST answer?
2021-1-29
Use props
NordicFinn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1888996 ft
Finland

Jojima Posted at 1-29 20:54
Not having updates in play store is  areal issue, in my case my phone also has my work email and some wor apps, and due company policies we cannot download apk files, just use the official app stores (ios or android) then there is no way for me to get the app updates. is really DJI not interested in returning to play store?? downloading from no app stores is not seen as a safe and prefer option, QA done by google / apple ensure the app works fine with the OS, without it we really do not know if the app will work fine with the version updates of the operative system or will cause issues with the device, the app or the drone. please DJI can you give us an HONEST answer?

This is very important notice! There's lots of people who cannot do side downloads. Security reasons.

And yea, im bit disappointed lack of open information on this matter.

Usa - China politics?
2021-1-30
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 1-26 00:38
Exactly where are you seeing this in-app Fly update option? The About tab still shows updates only for the database and firmware.

[view_image]

In DJI Fly settings. 1.2.4 rev 919 is the current release for andriod
2021-2-9
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

Andy Uk Posted at 2-9 13:43
In DJI Fly settings. 1.2.4 rev 919 is the current release for andriod

See reply #12 where I posted screenshots of where the in-app settings can be found.
2021-2-9
Use props
Wolic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130046 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You get a in-app notice about updates. You find examples in this german article:
https://www.dein-drohnenpilot.de ... hfuehren-anleitung/
2021-2-10
Use props
Ancoats
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Absolutely ridiculous
2021-2-17
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer