Mini 1 vs Mini 2 - FMC comparison
1580 7 2021-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

I know there are hundreds posts / videos which compare Mini 1 to Mini 2, but I thought to do it from a slightly different angle ^^.
Let's start with the direct comparison of two Fly More Combos:
They look pretty similar, but the obvious 2 differences are the lack of properller guards in Mini 2 and the change from a hard case to a soft-ish bag. I never used guards in Mini 1 so it's not something I'll miss.
Drones themselves look almost identical, Mini 2 has orange tips on their propellers, whereas Mini 1 is more light gray. Also there is an additional light at the front of Mini 2 which I think will make drone more visible in the sky.
From the 1st glance the two power banks and batteries look almost identical (except the color), but when directly compared one to another you can see Mini 1's battery is slightly smaller, with more round shape, whereas Mini 2 battery is more square-ish. Naturally Mini 2's battery hub is larger, but you can only see it when directly comparing these two.
What I found interesting is that Mini 1's batteries fit perfectly Mini 2's battery hub and it charges them as well. You can't do the same with Mini 2 batteries and Mini 1 hub <due to their shape>.
Last but not least, let's talk about the carrying bags themselves. This is the most visible difference between those combos. Hard case vs soft bag - this is going to be a personal preference, but I reckon soft bag is more practical. Surprisingly the soft bag is actually smaller than the hard case (27x20x9cm vs 21x17x10cm) (don't quote me on them, I tried to measure them as best as I could). So although volume-wise Mini 1's hard case is larger (4,860cm3) we all know you can't really fit in anything else in there. Mini 2's soft bag is 3,570cm3 - despite being smaller it can fit so much more. Also bear in mind that the controller in Mini 2 is almost twice the size as Mini 1's so I think that's pretty impressive . You could easily put in there a foldable landing pad, a set of filters and other smaller accessories. With the strap on allowing to carry it easily it definitely won my heart.

P.S. Yes I know, I have too much time in hand

IMG_20210118_142207.jpg
IMG_20210118_142411.jpg
IMG_20210118_142444.jpg
IMG_20210118_142924.jpg
2021-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice comparison.  Thanks for sharing.
2021-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there moniek1996. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these informative information here at DJI Forum. Nicely done and thank you for your support. .
2021-1-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

great writeup. i make it a point to always buy the fmc if it available at launch...mostly for economical reasons. with the mm1 i bought the fmc and i also purchased nearly all of the accessories (even thought they were mostly unavailable at launch and were slow coming to market).  however, when i switched to the m2, i decided against the fmc for primarily 5 reasons:

1.since many of the accessories are compatible, i didn't think it was necessary to re-buy what i already had.  this is especially true with the batteries.  i had 5 batteries in total from mm1.
2.i don't feel the mini is a quality purchase and it is somewhat overpriced as it is so for m2 i was only willing to pay less, not "more."  if i need more accessories, i have the luxury to wait for prices to come down.
3.mini accessories are not very exciting; fool me once.... i.e. bags and cases don't matter as much; charging done, etc.
4.when i first got the mm1 over a year ago, i only owned one other drone.  today i have a lot more than that and "more" flying with the m2 is not necessarily a thing for me
5.what's new with m2 is occusync and so i'm focusing my $$ on that including maybe modding the rc with a range extender.  if and when googles and/or sc come online, this drone just might climb it's way back to the top of the pile.
2021-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cool comparison!
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Thanks! Very interesting.
2021-1-19
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-18 20:08
great writeup. i make it a point to always buy the fmc if it available at launch...mostly for economical reasons. with the mm1 i bought the fmc and i also purchased nearly all of the accessories (even thought they were mostly unavailable at launch and were slow coming to market).  however, when i switched to the m2, i decided against the fmc for primarily 5 reasons:

1.since many of the accessories are compatible, i didn't think it was necessary to re-buy what i already had.  this is especially true with the batteries.  i had 5 batteries in total from mm1.

Thank you all for the comments ^^
In terms of the price, the fact that DJI basically has a monopoly in the drone industry is another topic, but unfortunately for those who want to use drone for travels with little limitations, there isn't any other choice than MM1 or MM2.
Think it is still worth buying FMC for MM2 unless you end up keeping MM1 like you and have accessories.
I wonder how the DJI ban will impact the industry - would love to see other competitors finally releasing alternatives to MM1 or MM2
2021-1-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

moniek1996 Posted at 1-20 07:50
Thank you all for the comments ^^
In terms of the price, the fact that DJI basically has a monopoly in the drone industry is another topic, but unfortunately for those who want to use drone for travels with little limitations, there isn't any other choice than MM1 or MM2.
Think it is still worth buying FMC for MM2 unless you end up keeping MM1 like you and have accessories.

so happy to get rid of the original mavic mini (except for the accessories) and cut my losses; to be honest, the first mini was a disaster imo. i live in very windy territory and i never got used to any meaningful flying. hopefully this is different for m2.  having a sub-250 is nice for most travelers but my thinking is other oem will have to go thru the pain and learning curves with their own drones so it might be quite some time before this space takes off.
2021-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules