Controller calibration problem
3364 15 2021-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Essenby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1995 ft

United Kingdom

When I try to calibrate my Mavic Air Remote Controller, the right hand stick shows full deflection down regardless of any stick movement. See attached photo

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong or how to correct this?
9E938089-9D47-4002-90FD-3EC00940DD91.jpeg
2021-1-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Essenby. Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies for the difficulties you're encountering. We'd like to know if you're receiving any warning on the DJI GO 4 in which requires you to calibrate the remote. Do you also happen to experience sudden movements without controlling the remote sticks? For the time being, we recommend completing the calibration and see whether that could resolve this.
2021-1-19
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-19 06:19
Hi, Essenby. Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies for the difficulties you're encountering. We'd like to know if you're receiving any warning on the DJI GO 4 in which requires you to calibrate the remote. Do you also happen to experience sudden movements without controlling the remote sticks? For the time being, we recommend completing the calibration and see whether that could resolve this.

Th Controller emits a continuous beeping when switch on which I believe indicates that Remote Calibration is required.  However, when trying this connected to my iPhone 6, the right stick display shows full down deflection regardless of stick position.   And because if this (I believe) the calibration never completes and I end up having to cancel out of it.

Obviously, I have not dared to try flying in this state.
2021-1-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Essenby Posted at 1-19 07:38
Th Controller emits a continuous beeping when switch on which I believe indicates that Remote Calibration is required.  However, when trying this connected to my iPhone 6, the right stick display shows full down deflection regardless of stick position.   And because if this (I believe) the calibration never completes and I end up having to cancel out of it.

Obviously, I have not dared to try flying in this state.

Thanks for the prompt response. We suggest performing a quick update or firmware refresh of the remote via the DJI Assistant 2. Once completed, perform another remote calibration. Please also check whether your DJI GO 4 is updated.

2021-1-19
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-19 23:15
Thanks for the prompt response. We suggest performing a quick update or firmware refresh of the remote via the DJI Assistant 2. Once completed, perform another remote calibration. Please also check whether your DJI GO 4 is updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPmWvxeSp7E

OK.  I have refreshed the firmware on both the drone and the controller.  Now, when I enter Remote Calibration the display is normal.  However, the right stick indicator will now only show right/left deflections.  Up/Down movement of the stick produces nothing on the display.  The left stick, and gimbal control appear the function correctly but I still cannot complete the calibration, the "Finish" button never becomes active.
2021-1-20
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Essenby Posted at 1-20 06:59
OK.  I have refreshed the firmware on both the drone and the controller.  Now, when I enter Remote Calibration the display is normal.  However, the right stick indicator will now only show right/left deflections.  Up/Down movement of the stick produces nothing on the display.  The left stick, and gimbal control appear the function correctly but I still cannot complete the calibration, the "Finish" button never becomes active.

Apologies for "bumping" this but does anyone else have any suggestions or explanations?  Am I the only person to ever have encountered this ?  And if so - does it signify a controller failure ?
2021-1-22
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Is the right stick still showing full downward deflection at this time? Was this malfunction from the very beginning or did it appear at some point?
2021-1-22
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Vofas Posted at 1-22 01:16
Is the right stick still showing full downward deflection at this time? Was this malfunction from the very beginning or did it appear at some point?

Hi.

The controller worked perfectly up to October last year and has been safely tucked up in the flight bag since then up until I took it out 4 days ago.  At that time when I powered it up the beeping began and a Google search told me to perform a stick calibration and the condition was as I reported at the time.

When I tried the calibration connected to an iPhone XR rather than the original iPhone 6, the behavior was slightly different.  In this case the right stick indicated movement up down correctly, but no left/right movement whilst the left stick indicated left/right but no up/down!

Since the firmware updates, this is how the unit behaves when connected to the Go 4 app on the iPhone 6 (both phone have the same latest version of the Go 4 app).  Essentially it means I cannot complete the calibration and next time I switch on the controller it will start beeping again.

The drone requires a Compass calibration so I'm hoping to get outside and try that as well at some point in the hope that will help.
2021-1-22
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

If I understand correctly, then the calibration process using two different phones is different? Now in what directions can the sticks be deflected? Is the displayed tilt of the right stick down to the maximum (as in the photo in the first post) in the absence of a real tilt anymore?
2021-1-22
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Vofas Posted at 1-22 03:42
If I understand correctly, then the calibration process using two different phones is different? Now in what directions can the sticks be deflected? Is the displayed tilt of the right stick down to the maximum (as in the photo in the first post) in the absence of a real tilt anymore?

Hi Vofas - many thanks for your assistance with this, it really is most appreciated.

To clarify, the calibration process on both phones is now the same.  On start up, both displays settle down to show 0% defection in any direction.   The left stick display now follows the left controller movement almost perfectly but not always registering 100% in all directions and stopping in the high nineties sometimes.   The right stick indication only shows right controller deflections left and right with no up/down indications at all, regardless of controller movement.

Following a successful Compass calibration I took the bull by the horns and attempted an Auto-Take-off.  This went perfectly as expected with the drone rising to about 5 feet and holding rock steady.  It responded perfectly to a left stick down command, sinking gently to a land perfectly.  I repeated the operation and tried some other stick inputs.  Left stick left/right produced left/right yaw as normal and right stick left/right produced left/right movement in the drone as normal.  However, right stick up/down dis not produce any response from the drone at all.  Landing was again uneventful.

I am beginning to think that the right controller is in some way defective and if this is true, I am wondering whether this can be repaired and if so, where?  Or am I better off trying to source a complete  replacement unit?

2021-1-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Essenby Posted at 1-20 06:59
OK.  I have refreshed the firmware on both the drone and the controller.  Now, when I enter Remote Calibration the display is normal.  However, the right stick indicator will now only show right/left deflections.  Up/Down movement of the stick produces nothing on the display.  The left stick, and gimbal control appear the function correctly but I still cannot complete the calibration, the "Finish" button never becomes active.

Thanks for the update and we have read on other exchanges that the problem remains. If that's the case, it highly recommended to return your unit back to our Service Center so it can be inspected. We also discourage doing another flight test as a possible faulty remote could result in a flight accident. To open a ticket, please get in touch with our Customer Support at your soonest convenience. Hopefully, this can be resolved as soon as possible.
2021-1-23
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Essenby Posted at 1-22 08:48
Hi Vofas - many thanks for your assistance with this, it really is most appreciated.

To clarify, the calibration process on both phones is now the same.  On start up, both displays settle down to show 0% defection in any direction.   The left stick display now follows the left controller movement almost perfectly but not always registering 100% in all directions and stopping in the high nineties sometimes.   The right stick indication only shows right controller deflections left and right with no up/down indications at all, regardless of controller movement.

Most likely it is a malfunction of the right stick of the controller. Don't try to fly. Contact the service center.
2021-1-23
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Vofas Posted at 1-23 02:31
Most likely it is a malfunction of the right stick of the controller. Don't try to fly. Contact the service center.
“Contacting” the service centre seems tib far more difficult to do than it is to type. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems I will need to send the unit to the Service Centre (in the Netherlands) and commit  to a €50 per hour analysis charge with no idea of the rough cost of any repair.  

With simple diagnosis priced at €50/hour the actual repairs could run into the hundreds.  It may work out more cost effective to buy a replacement!  
2021-1-23
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Essenby Posted at 1-23 09:01
“Contacting” the service centre seems tib far more difficult to do than it is to type. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems I will need to send the unit to the Service Centre (in the Netherlands) and commit  to a €50 per hour analysis charge with no idea of the rough cost of any repair.  

With simple diagnosis priced at €50/hour the actual repairs could run into the hundreds.  It may work out more cost effective to buy a replacement!

Is your drone out of warranty? First, try to write to support, as DJI Gamora advises.
2021-1-23
Use props
Essenby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Vofas Posted at 1-23 14:19
Is your drone out of warranty? First, try to write to support, as DJI Gamora advises.

Thanks to all for your help and advice - the drone is now on it's way to the repair shop.  Fingers crossed I don't have to take out a mortgage to pay for it.
2021-1-29
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Essenby Posted at 1-29 02:49
Thanks to all for your help and advice - the drone is now on it's way to the repair shop.  Fingers crossed I don't have to take out a mortgage to pay for it.

Good luck!
2021-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules