oem height limits in usa ?
831 7 2021-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
partytyme
lvl.1
United States

i need to take some tower pictures at 1100 feet of a damaged antenna will i have any issues flying that high with the oem program ? this is so the repair crew  knows what to take up to fix it. this is a approved flight , thanks i am in the usa

2021-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It does not matter whether you are using the 'OEM' flight program or another, nor does it matter whether it is an 'approved' flight, the absolute upper altitude limit is built into the aircraft and cannot be exceeded. The general maximum altitude is 500 Metres, or 1640 feet, however the aircraft will work out, using its GPS, which country you are flying in and may limit your altitude to a lower level. I believe that will be 400 feet in the US.

However the aircraft will base the maximum altitude on where you take off from, so if you can arrange to take off from a higher altitude, you may then achieve your aim of 1100 feet.
2021-1-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

On the Mavic Air 2 you can set the Max Height under the setting tabs. I have done about 1,500 up a ridge line before.
2021-1-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

500m limit but you'll get warning about 400 ft.
2021-1-20
Use props
KenDuke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

It is 400 feet here in the USA.  However, if you have your license to be a commercial pilot, you'll be able to override that limit, and still be safe.
From my understanding, the limit is from ground to 400 feet, however if there is a building within 10 feet, you can climb as high as the building is.
Lots of videos out there, showing drone footage of TV towers, and flying over them.  I think you'll be fine!

2021-1-26
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I’m in Canada, and here we have a 400 foot altitude limit law, but with a nice exception for just your situation. Our law states that we shall not exceed 400 feet unless we need to fly over a tower or building, in which case we can fly 100 feet above it, provided that we stay within 200 feet of it horizontally. Also my Mavic pro limits in the setting to 1640 feet from the original takeoff elevation. Many Canadians don’t even realize that we have this legal provision for flying over tall objects. Maybe you do in your country too and just haven’t been made aware. Worth looking into.
2021-1-28
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Per the FAA rules, stated at

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615

"The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure."

According to the rules I read years ago, if you are within 400 feet of a structure, you are permitted to fly 400 feet above the structure.  If you have a building 400 feet tall, as long as you remain within 400 feet of the structure, you may fly to 800'.  
Your tower is considered a "Structure"

2021-1-30
Use props
KenDuke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 1-30 14:28
Per the FAA rules, stated at

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615

Thanks for cleaning that up for me.  I always thought it was closer than that!
2021-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules