Taking A High Quality Still Image From Video?
5037 9 2021-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, one thing that came to my mind is, is it possible to take high quality still image from a video? I don't mean a frame but instead, I'll record a 4K/60fps video (Osmo Pocket can do that) for a second or two (directing to a single direction, no actions, on a tripod maybe), then extract the frames and align them in Photoshop, making them into a single image to reduce noise and increase quality. If so, will I gain a better image this way compared to a RAW image from the Osmo Pocket? Will it be editable, color-gradable like a RAW image?

Yes, it is complicated and a bit ridiculous idea but like I just said, it's an idea.

Thanks.
2021-1-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Short answer is no.
2021-1-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can do this,  fcpx will happily export individual frames,  but I doubt you'll get much quality improvement from it.
2021-1-20
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

DAFlys Posted at 1-20 01:28
You can do this,  fcpx will happily export individual frames,  but I doubt you'll get much quality improvement from it.

I also doubt it won't make it much better (at color-grading, the RAW image will certainly perform better I think). Photoshop also can easily export frame sequences as I search. I'll try it today, I'll publish here a normal JPEG versus 1-second 4K processed, aligned photo comparison.
2021-1-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MuhlisG Posted at 1-20 02:45
I also doubt it won't make it much better (at color-grading, the RAW image will certainly perform better I think). Photoshop also can easily export frame sequences as I search. I'll try it today, I'll publish here a normal JPEG versus 1-second 4K processed, aligned photo comparison.

Funnily enough I just exported a frame and then used Luminar AI to colour grade it and it came out great,  little motion blur in the ocean but thats actually quite nice.
2021-1-20
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Actually, YES, you can do this as last resort if you forgot to take photos from a place, but:
- There will be a lot of blur as the frames will record with SS lower than at a photo and if you have small wind or movement in frame, will be very hard to combine (need a lot of masking).
If you record 4K, my advice is this:
1. Import the video in a sequence 8K, resize it at sequence value (will resize 4k at 8K the image), use the Capture from Premiere Pro and the image will be saved in 8K size (is not 8K, remember, but the algorithm from Premiere at resampling is better than others).
2. Open the image and edit it as you like, than resize at your needs. I advice you to use denoiser from Photoshop or Lightroom.
PS. If you have a complete freeze (indoor movie), you can take 5 frames and use it on Adobe to denoise and obtain a fair quality...no more than 5, as the noise is eliminated from 3-5 images in Lightroom. But remember, your photo will not be compared with a RAW, not even with a single photo JPEG .
Imagine that RAW image is actually what your sensor see, without any processing, including noise and all...this is why RAW needs processing of: noise, color, WB, fringe, chroma, geometry, in order to acquire best quality. If you never worked with RAW, the quality will be probably lower than a straight Jpeg from camera...

Best option is to take 3 images using Braketing and combine them as HDR in Adobe....will have waaaay more quality....From video you can export decent quality, but not as good as even one photo taken with proper settings.
2021-1-20
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 1-20 03:17
Actually, YES, you can do this as last resort if you forgot to take photos from a place, but:
- There will be a lot of blur as the frames will record with SS lower than at a photo and if you have small wind or movement in frame, will be very hard to combine (need a lot of masking).
If you record 4K, my advice is this:

Thanks for the useful explanation. Yeah, the bracketing and HDR is the best way I've tried so far. The quality is really good compared to others. It takes some time though but it's undoubtedly worth it.
2021-1-20
Use props
MuhlisG
lvl.4

Turkey

Ok, here we are with the results. I took a photo and a 3-second 4K/50fps clip. I extracted the frames in Photoshop in maximum quality, aligned the first 50 frames (my computer struggle to handle it actually, that's why you shouldn't have a decent PC with only 4 GB ram lol), resized it by 200%, made it a smart object and did median. I did not apply any sharpening or color-grading whatsoever.
This forum doesn't support attachments bigger than 1 MB, so I uploaded them to ImgBB.
Single image: https://ibb.co/z81YjhP
50 frame aligned image: https://ibb.co/KD8f3fy

If I zoom to the single image:
OriginalZoom.jpg

And this is the 50 frame aligned and zoomed image:
50frameZoom.jpg

The quality is much better preserved and noise is almost not available in the 50 frames aligned image. Yes, this is not for everyone (50 frames are ridiculous, maybe 10 frames will be enough) but if we're in rush and want to have a high-quality image, or we just want to extract a high-quality image from our previous 4K captures, it is possible this way.

Weird experiment but here it is I didn't try exporting it as DNG, try to edit it and compare it to the original DNG file, yet.

2021-1-20
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Impressive noise reduction !

You may also find the software Registax of interest, it uses the  overlay technique for Astro photography.
2021-1-20
Use props
Robert Krein
New

United Kingdom

MuhlisG Posted at 2021-1-20 05:42
Ok, here we are with the results. I took a photo and a 3-second 4K/50fps clip. I extracted the frames in Photoshop in maximum quality, aligned the first 50 frames (my computer struggle to handle it actually, that's why you shouldn't have a decent PC with only 4 GB ram lol), resized it by 200%, made it a smart object and did median. I did not apply any sharpening or color-grading whatsoever.
This forum doesn't support attachments bigger than 1 MB, so I uploaded them to ImgBB.
Single image: https://ibb.co/z81YjhP
[Image]

Hi there,

Could you please tell me how many MP still image you can extract from a 4k and a 5.4k video?
Kind regards
Rob
2023-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules