Opinion Need on Switching from Inspire 1 vs Phantom 3...Please
2094 23 2015-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

So this is a question for people with both and Inspire and a Phantom 3.  I'm really debating what I should do here, keep the Inspire 1 or sell it and get money back then get the Phantom 3 Pro.  Every time I fly the Inspire now since my accident, my fingers now shake on the sticks, I get butterflys in the stomach, and I just get completley nervous... I think its the thought of flying $3000 in the air, espectially because I do not have money to spend freely- this is it, an Inspire and one extra battery.  I fly single operator and just for personal use, not professional use.

I know everyone says its like a Lamborghini to a Prius, but would I still be satisfied flying it just for fun/personal use? Are the flight characteristics still comparable? Right now I'm just so nervous about crashing $3000 that I almost can't even enjoy it.    Can somone please tell me their opinion on what they would do if they were me, I really need some second advice right now and Id really appreciate it. Thank you.
2015-7-5
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If you're that nervous then yes, you should probably downgrade. If you're not doing this stuff for a living and/or working on specific projects that demand the Inspire 1's specific characteristics then flying something a little smaller and less expensive is probably a good move anyways; less money in the air and you can just have fun with it (and again, if you're not doing this for commercial purposes it's supposed to be all about fun, no?).
2015-7-5
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

A P3 from an Inspire 1? That doesn't sound like fun at all.  However, if the Inspire 1 doesn't stir something inside you, maybe you should downgrade.
2015-7-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly what you feel confident in flying.  I understand the feeling of having a lot of money in the air.  I have flown professional rigs costing well in excess of $15K.  My friends fly $50K cameras around on theirs.  This is supposed to be fun.  If you are not having any then make the change.  The Inspire is in high demand and the P3 is reasonable.
2015-7-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I totally agree with Ed... You need to be having FUN. So do what you need to do and get back to a happy place.

Rich
2015-7-5
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-6 09:04
Fly what you feel confident in flying.  I understand the feeling of having a lot of money in the air ...

Thank you so much for your helpful response    And thank you for all your input in the forum!!!
2015-7-5
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-7-6 07:14
If you're that nervous then yes, you should probably downgrade. If you're not doing this stuff for a ...

Thanks for your response, do you think I'll be disappointed with the performance by downgrading?
2015-7-6
Use props
DCGOO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960564 ft
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-7-6 23:30
Thanks for your response, do you think I'll be disappointed with the performance by downgrading?

Yes. You probably will be disappointed.  But, that is expected, is it not?  Just like trading in your Lamborghini for a Prius.
2015-7-6
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

tpallai Posted at 2015-7-6 23:30

In what sense?

Photographically probably not. The I1 and the P3 Pro both have basically the same camera performance if you're just doing hobby projects.
Flying wise my take is that the Phantom flies "lighter" and is a bit more "fun" to just take up and bomb around in. The Inspire is definitely more stable so I use it for specific photographic projects.

Basically I fly my Inspire if I'm doing something specific photography wise and I fly my Phantom if I just want to have a fly and see what I can see.
2015-7-6
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have the  Ferrari of drones but  by you down grading i don't think your feeling of insecurity is going to go away. Practice Practice and Practice some more the feeling  will  subside

Everything in life is learned  including flying this fabulous machines. It takes time, practice and patience to master but you can do it if you set yourself to do so. Take small steps everyday to learne th what the Bird can do i you will see you can do it

Good Luck
2015-7-6
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-7-7 01:43
You have the  Ferrari of drones but  by you down grading i don't think your feeling of insecurity is ...

What can I do to practice flying?
2015-7-6
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-7-7 02:17
What can I do to practice flying?

Do you have Android or IOS?
2015-7-6
Use props
Skyrider
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-7-6
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Skyrider Posted at 2015-7-7 03:00
I had the same feeling when I first took the inspire up for the first time.  I have over 15 years ex ...

Do you use dual operator? I don't use it and I feel like that is the only reason someone would buy this over the P3.  Is it still worth keeping even without dual operator?
2015-7-6
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

tpallai Posted at 2015-7-7 04:12
Do you use dual operator? I don't use it and I feel like that is the only reason someone would buy ...

Hi tpallai,

My previous rig was over 30k and I felt that way every time the motors were armed UNTIL I went out and bought a cheaper unit to get fully experienced on, namely a phantom 1.

It was my lack of skill and confidence NOT the craft itself that was the issue. No matter what you get, the flight characteristics will generally be the same, the main difference will be the size, price tag and software.

Your issue is just a confidence thing. The Inspire does not know you are nervous! Get confident with your flying skills with a smaller cheaper unit first. As you fly for fun and cash is in short supply, I think getting a P3 and some extra batteries may be of benefit to you at the moment. Good luck

2015-7-6
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Wolfman Posted at 2015-7-7 05:13
Hi tpallai,

My previous rig was over 30k and I felt that way every time the motors were armed UNT ...

So do you think I should get rid of the inspire and get a P3 to gain confidence or keep the inspire AND get a P3?
2015-7-6
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Skyrider Posted at 2015-7-7 03:00
I had the same feeling when I first took the inspire up for the first time.  I have over 15 years ex ...

This is probably the best advice you can get.

Know that the vast majority of people reporting "fly aways" are just having a hard time understanding what was most likely an operator-error situation. They're not being disingenuous - they just don't understand what they did wrong (or that they did in-fact do something wrong at all) and the only logical explanation for them at that point is "it did it on it's own".  Add in the frustration of having lost or damaged an expensive investment and it's a tough situation.

Straight up:  I haven't seen any Inspire 1 fly away stories that make me think there is a problem with the Inspire 1. I spent a week on-site shooting with the Inspire 1 in June, for a total of 75+ flights or so. Never a single issue that lacked a reasonable explanation and never a single crash or incident.

Remember also that the Phantom forums and the MRH forums would have you believe that the Phantom 1, 2 and 3 are also unreliable death-machines basically raining down from the sky en masse. DJI has sold hundreds of thousands of Phantoms. Do you really think they're just "flying away" that regularly?

Pilots (both real and RC) are a brash bunch. Find me a pilot who admits a crash was his fault and I'll buy you a beer!

The Inspire 1 is a really well made piece of machinery with a good pedigree. The flight controller seems to be A2 based, which is as rock solid as you can really ask for and is $1300 here in Canada on it's own. You're getting a really robust aircraft in the Inspire 1. Relax and have fun and take it slow! As Skyrider says, if you do downgrade you'll probably find that once you do get your confidence on the sticks that you'll be missing your I1.

Once you get your confidence you'll have a blast.
2015-7-6
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-7-7 05:40
This is probably the best advice you can get.

Know that the vast majority of people reporting "fl ...

Wow that really was the best advice. Thanks so much!
2015-7-6
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

tpallai Posted at 2015-7-7 05:23
So do you think I should get rid of the inspire and get a P3 to gain confidence or keep the inspir ...

Hi tpallai,

we can only give you some advice and opinions based on our collective experiences. Use them so you can make an educated decision - but that decision needs to be yours to make I am afraid. It would be wrong for any of us to tell you specifically what to do!
2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

So do you think I should get rid of the inspire and get a P3 to gain confidence or keep the inspir ...

I just bought the P3P about a month and a half ago, I also have a P2V+, The P3 did not make the grade for me, The shell cracking after 40 or 50 hand caught flights did me in,  I boxed it up and sent it back today,  I ordered an Inspire.

I will purchase the P3 again as soon I think that Dji has properly addressed a few of the problems that some of us has had.  I will be monitoring the forums. I really liked the P3, and loved flying it.  I will wait for the ver.2 or even a p4 version before I buy again.

I really had mixed emotions about sending back, I just could not wait for a 6 to 8 week turn around , to send a machine in for repair that I just bought.  So, my opinion would be to wait.  Get a hubsan h4 or a proto x or something and practice inside.  Just gain confidence and use your head,

Dont worry about crashing,  s#% happens once in a while I have been in involved in the model aircraft hobby for almost 60 years,  I have crashed 3 to 5 thousand dollar airplanes, back when money really meant something.  My favorite is total destruction on the maiden test flight, on something you worked all winter on.    Be confident practice doing flights you feel comfortable with, and dont worry about it.
2015-7-6
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

I have had my Inspire since February and just recently bought the P3P as a backup while my Inspire is in LA at the spa. I have over 150 flights on my Inspire with 85% over water. I just started flying the Phantom and have to tweak the controls to make it as comfortable as my Inspire. My advice is put more time in flying and you will gain that confidence that all fliers know. They both have their attributes and can put a grin on your face. There is a good cross section of replies here that you can take as you will. My insight says get more time flying before making your decision and find a friend to try the P3P before jumping.
Good luck either wayand fly safe.
2015-7-6
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

I have both, the Inspire 1 and the P3P.

About confidence - I'm much more confident flying the Inpsire 1 than the phantom. The phantom is a cute little machine, the biggest advantage is that is so small, so you can fly indoors or in tightened places.
BUT - I would never get rid of the Inspire 1.
When you fly the P3P and then you fly the I1 - its a HUGE difference. As you mentioned, like driving a prius vs Ferrari.. The I1 is so much more responsive, the flight characteristics are way better than the phantoms. Plus I noticed something else - if you are flying faster - 8-10m/s some of the pictures you take with the P3 are blurry, while the I1 has no problem flying faster and taking beautiful pictures. I guess its because of the gimbal.

My advice - don't downgrade. Learn to set up things like breaking attitude, stick exp controls and you will fly so much better
2015-7-7
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I don't think your butterflies in your stomach will go away by just switching to a different aircraft. I have many, ranging from sizes of 450 to 900, with different makes and models and flight controllers. My latest aircraft is the Inspire. I'm always shaking like a leaf whenever I lift of for the first time with an aircraft, and I'm still nervous many liftoffs after that. I've had a really expensive and heartbreaking crash for which I found no reason to (it lifted off perfectly, than just took a dive to the side and crashed). That crash still haunts me. But if you want to sell the Inspire because of the money involved in a possible crash that might never happen, then maybe you should by an even cheaper model than the P3, and just fly it for fun awhile, learn how to make bold manouvers, and get the tension in the flying nerves down. Later, buy a more expensive model (like the P3).
2015-7-7
Use props
BeenThere
lvl.1

United States

Seems like most are recommending keeping the Inspire. I will depart from that.

If you are concerned about the cost should you lose the aircraft, then consider that you could purchase 2 P3Ps and a case and a couple of batteries for the cost of one Inspire and one battery. You will be much more relaxed knowing this while flying. And the P3P is a nice craft, I have one. You will love the quick setup.
2015-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules