Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket WiFi Module
3887 11 2021-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneMike7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have just discovered how to extend the WiFi range of the Osmo Pocket with it's WiFi adaptor.
I bought a USB powered 300N Mini Smart Router/Repeater (extender) by GL.iNet Model GL-MT300N-V2 (other types should also work) which is a battery portable device costing £19.65.
Powered by it's mini USB socket connected to a powerbank it can be used anywhere outdoors enabling video with no stuttering, very low latency and extended range

The WiFi will now work through walls etc. and is perfect for true remote control of the Osmo Pocket. I've not done any outdoor range tests because we here in the UK are still in 'Lockdown'.
Setting up the repeater (extender) was not a straight forward affair, so below is the proceedure I eventually used after a whole morning of trial and error to get a reliable connection every time. I know this works with my iPhone and assume the proceedure will be much the same with an Android device:-

1. Switch on the repeater unit first
2. Switch on the Osmo Pocket with the Osmo Wi-Fi module connected and Start a recording (recording stops the Pocket from switching off before all the next steps are completed)
3. Switch on the iPhone Wi-Fi
4. Connect to "GL-MT300N-V2-9f2 (9f2 part may be specific to my particular repeater device)
                 DO NOT connect to "OsmoPocket - BCCDC7". THIS IS IMPORTANT!!
5. Start the Mimo App & ignore the message "DJI device found [connect]" (if you do tap on 'connect' you will be directly connected to the Pocket which is not what is wanted here)
    Instead WAIT till the message "DJI device connected [Camera]" appears and then tap "Camera"

Your Osmo Pocket will now be connected to your phone via the repeater's stronger signal and will give you much greater range

Hope this helps anyone who would like a more reliable greater range with their Osmo Pocket Wi-Fi

2021-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DroneMike7. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information here at DJI Forum. Great experience and thank you for your support.
2021-1-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very innovative.    Thanks for sharing.  
2021-1-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Did some more research on your posting and liked what I found.  I have ordered the GL.iNet Model GL-MT300N-V2.
2021-1-21
Use props
DroneMike7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-21 07:57
Did some more research on your posting and liked what I found.  I have ordered the GL.iNet Model GL-MT300N-V2.

Just tried it again in an upstairs room where the Virgin Media Hub is and found it very difficult to connect (using an iPhone SE 2016). I suspect the GL repeater signal is being swamped by the mains repeater I have up there which pumps out a powerful signal so I can watch TV reliably downstairs. Also found that the GL repeater ident did not always show up on the list of Wi-Fi devices, so I switched off the option to 'Auto-Connect' to my home broadband in "Settings" -> "WiFi" and found that helped. I've just done a comparison test connecting to the Osmo Pocket directly (in the same environment) and found the connectivity to be abysmal, so using the repeater/extender here makes a massive difference!
2021-1-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DroneMike7 Posted at 1-21 09:43
Just tried it again in an upstairs room where the Virgin Media Hub is and found it very difficult to connect (using an iPhone SE 2016). I suspect the GL repeater signal is being swamped by the mains repeater I have up there which pumps out a powerful signal so I can watch TV reliably downstairs. Also found that the GL repeater ident did not always show up on the list of Wi-Fi devices, so I switched off the option to 'Auto-Connect' to my home broadband in "Settings" -> "WiFi" and found that helped. I've just done a comparison test connecting to the Osmo Pocket directly (in the same environment) and found the connectivity to be abysmal, so using the repeater/extender here makes a massive difference!

Thanks for the follow up.  Stay safe and have a great day.
2021-1-22
Use props
djiuser_AjvhEcqinbIL
lvl.1

Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 2021-1-22 04:14
Thanks for the follow up.  Stay safe and have a great day.

How did you configure the repaeter?
Dont you have to connect it first to the osmo pocket 2?
Tried it but is not working..
2022-2-18
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Brilliant work-around. Should work great in the outdoors, not sure if this repeater can handle in an environment where theres overlapping industrial grade WiFi networks. Worth a try. Cheers
2022-6-5
Use props
Unclebob1953
lvl.1
United States

Do you know a way to use the audio adaptor with the Wi-Fi module?  Using the Osmo 1 pocket.  I can't get any help from DJI support.
2022-6-5
Use props
hezmoz
New

Japan

Hey DroneMike7, I'm having trouble with getting my GL-MT300N-V2 to reliably locate and repeat the Osmo Pocket WiFi signal. It seems that it only shows up when it wants to and is not shown whenever the unit is on with the WiFi module connected. Have you been able to figure out a reliable power-on sequence to get this to work every time?
2023-7-5
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

That sounds very interesting, could come in handy with many scenarios. Any idea if this also works with the Pocket 2 Do-It-All Handle?
2023-7-5
Use props
hezmoz
New

Japan

I figured it out - my wifi extender is 2.4ghz only so I had to force the osmo pocket onto 2.4ghz through the Mimo app but there's also an option to do it in-camera
2023-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules