Bug in DJI FLY v1.2.2 - Attitude Indicator / Artificial Horizon
658 1 2021-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fazfarren
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285295 ft
United Kingdom

The new attitude indicator (in the form of an Artificial Horizon - AH) on the DJI Fly app is a welcome addition - particularly for those who have used the functionality on the GO3 and GO4 apps which have had this for years.

One issue which I have not seen commented elsewhere is that whilst the AH performs correctly in pitch movements, it is reversed for roll movements.
A true AH (like that implemented in GO4) will represent the behavior of the horizon in the display. On pitching forwards the horizon line moves up, on pitching back the horizon line moves back. This part functions as expected in the newly updated Fly app (v1.2.2).

When we now look at roll, the behavior is not the same. If we roll right we would expect the horizon line to tilt left to indicate the level of the horizon from the point of view on board the aircraft. In this case the white line tilts right, which would represent the tilt of the aircraft in respect to the ground but does not represent the tilt of the horizon with respect to the aircraft. This is confusing, because it contradicts the behaviour of pitch movements.

DJI need to decide if they are making a tilt indicator or an artificial horizon. What they have done so far is implement an artificial horizon in the pitch movement and a tilt indicator in the roll movement which is just confusing as it is inconsistent. My preference of the two options is to go with an AH as this mimics what GO3 and GO4 have and what pilots of manned aircraft expect to see.

2021-1-21
Use props
djiuser_SOsMqwiQcCmS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2835 ft
Canada

Still there in version 1.7.4 a year and a half later. Any thoughts @DJI ?

some photos describing the issue below filmed from my drone facing my controller which is level with the horizon

flat.png
pitch down.png
pitch up.png
roll left.png
roll right.png
2022-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules