8598 39 2021-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini2Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

Does anyone know the Maximum Take Off Mass (MTOM) of the Mini 2?

I have looked in the manual and searched on the forums and google but have not found an answer.

Thanks.
2021-1-21
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Well, since it is neither a cargo nor passenger device, I'd say 249 grams.
2021-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mini2Flyer. The DJI Mini 2 has a maximum takeoff weight of 249 g. In addition, DJI have designed power redundancy to recognize and be compatible with official DJI accessories ( such as propeller guard ). Thank you.
2021-1-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MTOM would include how much it could theoretically carry (drones like the inspire list weight and mtom as separate amounts and the mtom is greater.).  As you can take off with 77 grams extra with a payload dropper like this - https://www.amazon.com/Delivery- ... tible/dp/B0879DJ29P then its got to be 300grams plus.
2021-1-22
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89852 ft
United Kingdom

If you are in Europe or UK you have asked the wrong question. For legacy drones of the mini 2 size the important figure is take off weight. MTOM only applies to new drones that conform to new class registrations. The take off weight of my mini 2 is 242g.
2021-1-22
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-22 01:03
MTOM would include how much it could theoretically carry (drones like the inspire list weight and mtom as separate amounts and the mtom is greater.).  As you can take off with 77 grams extra with a payload dropper like this - https://www.amazon.com/Delivery-Transport-Carrying-Proposal-Compatible/dp/B0879DJ29P then its got to be 300grams plus.
Dude, you got a reply from DJI moderator explicitly stating the mtom of mini 2 is 249gr... What more you want? You're the only one believing in this ludicrous theory of yours mini gas higher than 250 mtom. Classified new mini 2 drones will have the same mtom, as it does not make sense for DJI to move it to another class. You are comparing again inspire with mini -do you see the stupidity in that or you need a diagram. Again this is NOT A CARGO NOR PASSENGER DRONE
2021-1-22
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-22 02:00
Dude, you got a reply from DJI moderator explicitly stating the mtom of mini 2 is 249gr... What more you want? You're the only one believing in this ludicrous theory of yours mini gas higher than 250 mtom. Classified new mini 2 drones will have the same mtom, as it does not make sense for DJI to move it to another class. You are comparing again inspire with mini -do you see the stupidity in that or you need a diagram. Again this is NOT A CARGO NOR PASSENGER DRONE

The mamimum take off weight of the Mini 2 is conciderably more than 249g. Try it for yourseft add weight until it won't take off. However, for the european (and UK) regs the immportant figure for the MINI 2 (legacy drone) is the actual take off weight. My Mini 2 with out any attachments is 242g, if I add prop guards etc it will be more. For the new classification the figure used is MTOM. Which is why you cannot slap a CE sticker on the MINI 2 cos the MTOM will be to high.
2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-22 02:17
The mamimum take off weight of the Mini 2 is conciderably more than 249g. Try it for yourseft add weight until it won't take off. However, for the european (and UK) regs the immportant figure for the MINI 2 (legacy drone) is the actual take off weight. My Mini 2 with out any attachments is 242g, if I add prop guards etc it will be more. For the new classification the figure used is MTOM. Which is why you cannot slap a CE sticker on the MINI 2 cos the MTOM will be to high.

thank you fansceed7082.   
2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dude, you got a reply from DJI moderator explicitly stating the mtom of mini 2 is 249gr... What more you want? You're the only one believing in this ludicrous theory of yours mini gas higher than 250 mtom. Classified new mini 2 drones will have the same mtom, as it does not make sense for DJI to move it to another class. You are comparing again inspire with mini -do you see the stupidity in that or you need a diagram. Again this is NOT A CARGO NOR PASSENGER DRONE

An airliner would have a certified MTOM which is different to the maximum MTOM.
2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Let Ian describe it.   Watch from 15:40 and at 18:10 he explains MTOM and the Mini1/2.

2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or Wiki explains MTOM too -  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_takeoff_weight

Notice how they include payload in the weight.
2021-1-22
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-22 02:37
Let Ian describe it.   Watch from 15:40 and at 18:10 he explains MTOM and the Mini1/2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4xWX0cloJk

you will see the mtom of the mini 2 when they officially classify it. Until then stop speculating! now it is legacy and has weight of 249 gr. so C0 for life! when they release it with the EU classification, then you can post on the matter. until then is only your interpretation and theory and is as good as fish in the water.
2021-1-22
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-22 02:17
The mamimum take off weight of the Mini 2 is conciderably more than 249g. Try it for yourseft add weight until it won't take off. However, for the european (and UK) regs the immportant figure for the MINI 2 (legacy drone) is the actual take off weight. My Mini 2 with out any attachments is 242g, if I add prop guards etc it will be more. For the new classification the figure used is MTOM. Which is why you cannot slap a CE sticker on the MINI 2 cos the MTOM will be to high.

why would i add weight to the mini2??? the maximum weight to add is 1 gr of filter. and mini 2 is anyway below 242 gr. so not near 249. this drone is not intended to lift objects or carry weight. while it can, it is not recommended and will hinder flight characteristics and anyway payload mode will be triggered and flight limits applied so you can't think of real flight then. as long as you fly it as is you are safe. And you cannot say that the mtom is higher, this is something manufacturer specifies. and i am inclined to rely more on what the dji bots say on the matter, at least for this. Also in any way it does not matter as mini 2 is legacy at the moment so the weight is the only thing that matters! the mtom will matter when dji releases it with C classification, so when that happens we can discuss it again...
2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-22 02:43
you will see the mtom of the mini 2 when they officially classify it. Until then stop speculating! now it is legacy and has weight of 249 gr. so C0 for life! when they release it with the EU classification, then you can post on the matter. until then is only your interpretation and theory and is as good as fish in the water.

Its not just my opinion,  look at the YouTube video on the subject.
2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-22 02:51
why would i add weight to the mini2??? the maximum weight to add is 1 gr of filter. and mini 2 is anyway below 242 gr. so not near 249. this drone is not intended to lift objects or carry weight. while it can, it is not recommended and will hinder flight characteristics and anyway payload mode will be triggered and flight limits applied so you can't think of real flight then. as long as you fly it as is you are safe. And you cannot say that the mtom is higher, this is something manufacturer specifies. and i am inclined to rely more on what the dji bots say on the matter, at least for this. Also in any way it does not matter as mini 2 is legacy at the moment so the weight is the only thing that matters! the mtom will matter when dji releases it with C classification, so when that happens we can discuss it again...

Perhaps they could get around it by detecting the weight and stopping the take off.
2021-1-22
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-22 02:54
Its not just my opinion,  look at the YouTube video on the subject.

the only opinion that matters is the C classification and manufacturer statement!
2021-1-22
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-22 02:51
why would i add weight to the mini2??? the maximum weight to add is 1 gr of filter. and mini 2 is anyway below 242 gr. so not near 249. this drone is not intended to lift objects or carry weight. while it can, it is not recommended and will hinder flight characteristics and anyway payload mode will be triggered and flight limits applied so you can't think of real flight then. as long as you fly it as is you are safe. And you cannot say that the mtom is higher, this is something manufacturer specifies. and i am inclined to rely more on what the dji bots say on the matter, at least for this. Also in any way it does not matter as mini 2 is legacy at the moment so the weight is the only thing that matters! the mtom will matter when dji releases it with C classification, so when that happens we can discuss it again...

How strange!
2021-1-22
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

To start, I don’t have a dog in the hunt, where I live none of this matters right now.

My question for the bot is how can it have a MTOM of 249 g when it will take off with the addition of a 47 g accessory that you sell for this drone (not provided with the drone, for a reason).
I don’t care about anything else (reduced flight time, flight characteristics, etc.) the max is the max and DJI provides accessories to exceed the max and allow it to take off.

I’m pretty sure a bot will never post any answer to a question about MTOM other than 249 for the mini2, the reason is obvious.
2021-1-22
Use props
Mini2Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So, as I understand it, at the moment DJI have not determined a MTOM for the Mini 2.

I am in the UK and it's a legacy drone but even a legacy drone should not exceed the MTOM specified by the manufacturer and in the event of an accident or insurance claim you could find that your insurance was invalid if the MTOM was exceeded.

With DJI not publicising the MTOM it makes a great 'grey area' for insurance companies to potentially use as a get out clause.

My reason for asking was simply to try to get a definitive figure that I know I must not exceed and to avoid any potential problems.
2021-1-22
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mini2Flyer Posted at 1-22 06:54
So, as I understand it, at the moment DJI have not determined a MTOM for the Mini 2.

I am in the UK and it's a legacy drone but even a legacy drone should not exceed the MTOM specified by the manufacturer and in the event of an accident or insurance claim you could find that your insurance was invalid if the MTOM was exceeded.

Save post 4, don’t add weight and you should be fine.
2021-1-22
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 1-22 07:33
Save post 4, don’t add weight and you should be fine.

Post 4 contradicts itself by stating the max take off weight is 249g but you can add accessories!! The take off weight (not max) may be 249 g- in my case 242g but the max take off is considerably more but irrelevant under the present legislation which stipulate a take off weight for legacy drones (not max)
2021-1-23
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

If there is an accident, perhaps even with personal injury or death, then theoretically *) there could be problems. Insurance companies and courts will then very well go after the exact meaning of MTOM and DJI can identify it as it wants, it is simply over 250g.

*)
In the case of the minis, however, it tends not to be, because insurance policies always go for a weight that is definitely higher than the MTOM, e.g. liability up to 500 g or 2 kg.
2021-1-23
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-23 01:49
Post 4 contradicts itself by stating the max take off weight is 249g but you can add accessories!! The take off weight (not max) may be 249 g- in my case 242g but the max take off is considerably more but irrelevant under the present legislation which stipulate a take off weight for legacy drones (not max)

Also funny: DJI sells the fly more combo with propguards. Then they would have to add a note that it is forbidden to use it because the drone CANNOT (!) take off. If you use them anyway (indoor and outdoor), the warranty becomes void. It doesn't matter whether the payload is activated and the flight altitude is reduced.
2021-1-23
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-23 01:49

Yes, post 4 does not make sense but so it is written so it shall be.
It answers mini2flyer’s question and was posted by DJI admin.

Yes, you can add an accessory that takes the weight over the published max but YOU have to add the accessory, as shipped it meets the spec.

2021-1-23
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 1-23 05:26

Max take off weight is not a specification that can be found in any EU (+uk) legislation. So no it isn’t so. Legacy = Take off weight (not max). New class conforming drones (of which there non yet) = MTOM.
2021-1-23
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

249g. MTOM not relevant for legacy drones.
2021-1-23
Use props
fansceed7082
lvl.3
United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 1-23 02:51
Also funny: DJI sells the fly more combo with propguards. Then they would have to add a note that it is forbidden to use it because the drone CANNOT (!) take off. If you use them anyway (indoor and outdoor), the warranty becomes void. It doesn't matter whether the payload is activated and the flight altitude is reduced.

Didn’t get any prop guards in my fly more combo.! Not that I would use them anyway.
2021-1-23
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-23 05:49
249g. MTOM not relevant for legacy drones.

I believe I was responding to a question regarding accidents and insurance.

Mini2 asked the weight, post 4 answered. Mini2 then asked about accidents and insurance, that was answered.

I just don’t care about legacy drones living in the US.
I don’t own any drones under 250 nor do I want to, like I said at the start, no dog in the hunt.
2021-1-23
Use props
Mini2Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-23 05:46
Max take off weight is not a specification that can be found in any EU (+uk) legislation. So no it isn’t so. Legacy = Take off weight (not max). New class conforming drones (of which there non yet) = MTOM.

But the UK regulations do state that you must not exceed the MTOM, and that the MTOM can be found in the manual.
As I understand it, that applies to all drones, legacy or otherwise, except for home made aircraft, which do not have a manufacturer to determine the MTOM.
2021-1-23
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

Dude - gear down.  If that answer supplied by the moderator was correct, then how do you explain the use of DJI’s own Propeller Guards that are known to bring the mass above 249g?
EDit; Looks like someone else previously communicated the same logic.  
2021-1-23
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

fansceed7082 Posted at 1-23 05:50
Didn’t get any prop guards in my fly more combo.! Not that I would use them anyway.

You are right, only mini 1 combo contains propguards, but the same applies to it. The propguards for mini2 can also be purchased in the official DJI shop.

Fully protects the propellers
Improves flight safety
Suitable for beginners and when flying indoors or in locations with many obstacles
To ensure safety, please avoid any contact between the aircraft and yourself or others when the aircraft is powered on.Do not use the propeller guard in high altitudes (2000 m or higher) or in a windy environment.

Then the comment "DO NOT mount, otherwise it will NOT take off" is missing here. ;-)

2021-1-23
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 1-23 05:26

Yes, post 4 does not make sense but so it is written so it shall be. It answers mini2flyer’s question and was posted by DJI admin.

It doesn't matter (I think you think so too). He could just as well write nonsense like ... the weight is 242g, and MTOM is 100g. You certainly won't argue to insurance or court with "a DJI bot wrote that MTOM is 242g"
2021-1-23
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-23 08:59
Yes, post 4 does not make sense but so it is written so it shall be. It answers mini2flyer’s question and was posted by DJI admin.

It doesn't matter (I think you think so too). He could just as well write nonsense like ... the weight is 242g, and MTOM is 100g. You certainly won't argue to insurance or court with "a DJI bot wrote that MTOM is 242g"

Yes, we do agree it was nonsense, and the only reason I posted on this thread was because of post 4.

The MTOM IS ....  but we sell an accessory to exceed our spec so our spec really isn’t a spec or whatever crap he was trying to sell.
@sshat response from DJI but I’m starting to expect nothing less.
I read enough threads with an admin response to understand it's drivel.
Someone could post a vid of a drone killing a family of five and I'd see an admin response of thanks for posting video of fun flight.

I think,  long ago, there used to be an admin in California who actually responded, was on point and actually helped people.
That's when my husband was active on the forum and way before I even cared about drones.

A simple question was asked by mini2flyer but unfortunately the OP won't get a simple accurate answer (I don't have foolish pride, but to me the MOTM can't be 249, if I'm wrong please correct).
2021-1-23
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-23 08:10
Dude - gear down.  If that answer supplied by the moderator was correct, then how do you explain the use of DJI’s own Propeller Guards that are known to bring the mass above 249g?
EDit; Looks like someone else previously communicated the same logic.

looks like people can't think nowadays... you put propguards - you get the online exam and can't fly A1 or whatever the denomination was after 2023 or whatever the EASA says. Mini mtow or mtom as per manufacturer used as is the weight - 249 gr. mini 2 is 242gr. anyway they are legacy and don't need mtom listed. after they receive classification and start selling as C0 for example dji will list the mtom and if you don't like it you can take it to dji and even sue them if you think your argument is strong.

now If you put anything on your drone, carry with it cargo or whatever the hell craziness comes to your mind - then you are no longer in the classification below 250gr so you have to take your responsibility, get the course and fly accordingly. More simple than that cannot be explained. As much as people like to complicate the matter that is it. This is not a cargo drone to have to account the possible additional weight it can lift for flying, as per the simple fact that will totally change the flight characteristics. you can deliver pizzas if you want, but you will have to take into account that.
i think most people here have too much free time to find stupid things to argue...how many times any of you have flown outside with propguards further and higher than 50 m away. I never even took them outside the packaging...
2021-1-23
Use props
FTrindade
lvl.2
Flight distance : 395456 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-1-21 19:59
Hello there Mini2Flyer. The DJI Mini 2 has a maximum takeoff weight of 249 g. In addition, DJI have designed power redundancy to recognize and be compatible with official DJI accessories ( such as propeller guard ). Thank you.

WROOOOONG

Do you even know what MTOM means?

MAXIMUM takeoff mass is the MAXIMUM mass that an aircraft an lift using nothing but the power of that aircraft. For the aircraft AND the payload.

If you attach a Insta360 One X2 to a mini2 it will still be able to lift from ground, so it is way under the MTOM.

What you are referring to is TOM, the take Off Mass at that moment.
249g is the usual TOM
The MTOM is way higher

Please try to be precise
2023-5-6
Use props
FTrindade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Portugal

MTOM is NOT TOM.

Here you can read, from EASA, that they just care about TOM.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/li ... drones-close-people
2023-5-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

FTrindade Posted at 5-6 04:44
WROOOOONG

Do you even know what MTOM means?

The manufacturer fixes the MTOM.  At first glance there is no extra payload point on DJI mini drones?  If in the manual it is written that the drone weighs 249g and that this drone was put on the market before 01/01/24, the problem is solved!  A1 and then that's it.
2023-5-6
Use props
FTrindade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Portugal

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-6 06:25
The manufacturer fixes the MTOM.  At first glance there is no extra payload point on DJI mini drones?  If in the manual it is written that the drone weighs 249g and that this drone was put on the market before 01/01/24, the problem is solved!  A1 and then that's it.

Yes... BUT

You will ONLY be able to legally fly it without the prop guards, otherwise the TOM will exceed 250g.

2023-5-6
Use props
FTrindade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Portugal

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-6 06:25
The manufacturer fixes the MTOM.  At first glance there is no extra payload point on DJI mini drones?  If in the manual it is written that the drone weighs 249g and that this drone was put on the market before 01/01/24, the problem is solved!  A1 and then that's it.

Also, remember that drones like mini 3 pro have alternate batteries...
Only the "light" battery is within the 249g

(It is actually labeled "Light <249g" while the extended time battery does not have those warnings..

So... careful with this.
2023-5-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

FTrindade Posted at 5-6 07:28
Yes... BUT

You will ONLY be able to legally fly it without the prop guards, otherwise the TOM will exceed 250g.

It goes without saying.
In the law it is less than 250g. Each user takes responsibility.
2023-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules