Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 2 drifts to the left but only when camera pointing down
680 32 1-22 05:11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arpettaz
First Officer
Flight distance : 84567 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

First flight today in a few weeks.  Because we are in lockdown I went for a walk across a local field and launched from a public footpath.

Something very strange happened today.  When I flew the drone in a straight line with the camera pointed in the direction of flight the drone flew straight as an arrow - no drifting.  But, when I rotated the camera by 90 degrees so that it was pointing downwards, the drone drifted to the left, then went straight for a bit, then drifted left again, and so on.  Wind was well within limits (no strong wind warnings), and I was flying the drone into wind.  Here is a link to a screenshot of the flight record showing the drift: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... d5/view?usp=sharing

I then tried flying the drone in different directions from the homepoint - and everytime it drifted left but only when the camera was pointing downwards by 90 degrees.

As I was flying I checked that the right hand control stick was directly forward (to avoid me inputting any drift by accident).  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any thoughts on what might be going on and how to fix it?  I've had the drone since it was launched last year, but have never noticed this problem before because until today I hadn't tried flying the drone with the camera pointing fully down.

1-22 05:11
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1123219 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Update to last Fw and last software from DJI Website. Make a complete calibration of joystick, also a calibration of IMU. Try again.
1-22 05:35
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 1-22 05:35
Update to last Fw and last software from DJI Website. Make a complete calibration of joystick, also a calibration of IMU. Try again.

Thanks.  Firmware/software was all up to date before the flight. DJI Support suggested a different location AND calibrate the RC controller.  I did another flight and the problem seems to have cleared.  However, location shouldn't have made a difference.  I flew the drone twice on exactly the same route this morning.  With camera pointing forward the path taken by the drone was dead straight.  When camera was pointed 90 degrees down it drifted.  I think the RC controller calibration helped more than location.  I will do IMU calibration before I next fly the drone
1-22 10:57
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604281 ft
Australia

Do you know if the wind (at the aircraft's altitude, not ground) was in the same direction as the left drift? I have been in situations where there has been little to no wind on the ground but enough wind to take the aircraft off the intended course, though that tends to be around the 100m AGL mark and don't always get a "strong wind warning".  
1-22 22:41
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AussieDronePilot Posted at 1-22 22:41
Do you know if the wind (at the aircraft's altitude, not ground) was in the same direction as the left drift? I have been in situations where there has been little to no wind on the ground but enough wind to take the aircraft off the intended course, though that tends to be around the 100m AGL mark and don't always get a "strong wind warning".

Based on the UAV forecast App that I use the wind direction was the same at ground level and the height I was flying at
1-22 23:55
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

Gps log?

Most of the people that think they drone drift, don't realize their gimble is not centered, and that only it looks that on the video, but the drone fly in straight line.
1-23 00:38
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 1-23 00:38
Gps log?

Most of the people that think they drone drift, don't realize their gimble is not centered, and that only it looks that on the video, but the drone fly in straight line.

Except in my case, if you look at the flight record using the link above you will see the drone is snaking along its route rather than going in a straight line!!!
1-23 03:53
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 6409747 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arpettaz Posted at 1-23 03:53
Except in my case, if you look at the flight record using the link above you will see the drone is snaking along its route rather than going in a straight line!!!

Hi Arpettaz,

Hard to tell from a screenshot. If you like upload your fightlog
using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

or put a cloud-link to your flightlog on here.

cheers
JJB

cheers
JJB
1-23 03:58
Use props
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

I've been having a similar issue this week. However i didn't pay much attention as i thought it was due to the wind (although i didn0t get any wind warnings either). Unlike  Arpettaz, my camera was tilted down abuot 30° - 45°. It didn't happen at 0° or tilted up. Also, i was just hovering, not moving. I disregarded the issue as it was a slight drift that i could easily compensate for and i totally blamed it on the wind. I did check the propellers though, and noticed no damage or loose screws and they seem to move normally. Teh drone feels responsive and i don0t see major deviations on my airdata logs.
1-23 06:34
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604281 ft
Australia

Arpettaz Posted at 1-22 23:55
Based on the UAV forecast App that I use the wind direction was the same at ground level and the height I was flying at

Strange! As others have said, the flight logs might tell us more.
1-24 03:00
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

This happened to my mini 2 as well, when the camera was pointed straight down the mini 2 would drift in wind that it should have easily handled. Despite full throttle in the opposite direction, the aircraft kept blowing away and only tilting 9 degrees to combat the wind.
1-26 23:26
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

The issue is as follows. In the manual of the Mini 2 it states the speed of the aircraft is limited in Normal and Cinematic modes while the camera is pointed straight down to provide smooth video footage. It also states the Mini 2 will over ride this programming when strong winds start to blow the aircraft off it's path or point. This over ride is not functioning as it states, and your Mini 2 will blow away unless you lift the camera or switch into photo mode or Sport mode.
1-27 08:39
Use props
JohnLietzke
First Officer
Flight distance : 3105915 ft
United States

I have noticed UAVForecast wind predictions and realtime are not ver accurate.  
1-27 10:49
Use props
Donut Michigan
First Officer
Flight distance : 20587 ft
United States

It’s in the manual that there is a reduces power when the gimbal is pointing at rate down at 90* so raise it up 15*.
With the way it is right now you can have a flyaway very easy because of upper stronger winds.
DJI needs to have an option in the camera settings to be able to turn that off.
Doug
1-27 11:17
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't do an IMU cali. Why? How does the camera angle triggering drift result in an IMU cali as a sensible step?

Please educate me.
If one reads the manual you might find that the camera effects speed..so in wind it struggles and drifts. There is a thread elsewhere recently.

1-27 12:32
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 1-27 11:17
It’s in the manual that there is a reduces power when the gimbal is pointing at rate down at 90* so raise it up 15*.
With the way it is right now you can have a flyaway very easy because of upper stronger winds.
DJI needs to have an option in the camera settings to be able to turn that off.
If you are looking at the same part of the manual as me it says “speed” is reduced in cine and normal modes when gimbal (camera) at 90 degrees and there was very little wind on the day I flew the drone. The same note in the manual also says speed is reduced in these 2 modes when the gimbal is at 0 degrees - and yet when I flew the drone along the same route at the same altitude with the gimbal at 0 degrees there was no drifting
1-27 22:57
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

Arpettaz Posted at 1-27 22:57
If you are looking at the same part of the manual as me it says “speed” is reduced in cine and normal modes when gimbal (camera) at 90 degrees and there was very little wind on the day I flew the drone. The same note in the manual also says speed is reduced in these 2 modes when the gimbal is at 0 degrees - and yet when I flew the drone along the same route at the same altitude with the gimbal at 0 degrees there was no drifting

Normal and Cinematic modes are speed restricted with the gimbal pointed down.

1-27 23:04
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

teeroy Posted at 1-27 08:39
The issue is as follows. In the manual of the Mini 2 it states the speed of the aircraft is limited in Normal and Cinematic modes while the camera is pointed straight down to provide smooth video footage. It also states the Mini 2 will over ride this programming when strong winds start to blow the aircraft off it's path or point. This over ride is not functioning as it states, and your Mini 2 will blow away unless you lift the camera or switch into photo mode or Sport mode.

So how come the drone did not drift in normal model with the gimbal at 0 degrees a few minutes after the first flight?  The drone was flown along exactly the same route and altitude and the wind was light
1-27 23:05
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

Arpettaz Posted at 1-27 23:05
So how come the drone did not drift in normal model with the gimbal at 0 degrees a few minutes after the first flight?  The drone was flown along exactly the same route and altitude and the wind was light

Possibly the wind wasn't as strong on the next pass would be my guess.
1-27 23:07
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

teeroy Posted at 1-27 23:07
Possibly the wind wasn't as strong on the next pass would be my guess.

But the drone is designed not to drift if the wind is within limits - and the latest firmware targeted some drifting issues that had been reported by other users. Sorry, but I don’t agree with your hypothesis.
1-27 23:14
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

Arpettaz Posted at 1-27 23:14
But the drone is designed not to drift if the wind is within limits - and the latest firmware targeted some drifting issues that had been reported by other users. Sorry, but I don’t agree with your hypothesis.

It happened to my Mini 2, flight logs distinctly show aircraft failing to tilt past 9 degrees to counteract the wind in normal mode with the gimbal pointed down. Aircraft travelled more than 60 meters despite full reverse input from the controls opposite the direction it was travelling. Once the aircraft was switched to camera mode instead of video, normal flight characteristics resumed.
Flight log https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/P505LY9RKGUVKNTH5DH9/
1-27 23:23
Use props
Donut Michigan
First Officer
Flight distance : 20587 ft
United States

It says in the manual that when the pointing straight down it automatically reduces power and to raise it up about 10 to 15 degrees to get full power back.
It’s built into the DJI fly app.
1-28 19:53
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

Donut Michigan Posted at 1-28 19:53
It says in the manual that when the pointing straight down it automatically reduces power and to raise it up about 10 to 15 degrees to get full power back.
It’s built into the DJI fly app.

This is what it says. Nothing about raising the camera to regain full power.

1-28 20:59
Use props
Firefly2000
lvl.1
Italy

Hi all flying friends!

I'm a very happy Mini 2 owner. That is a fantastic machine that allows us to fly with our mind while grounded!

I confirm what user Arpettaz says, I tried and had the same experience today, all updated (last firmware) and recalibrated (IMU, compass,...).

The test is very simple, starting at few feet high, only full "throttle" command. Of course you need wind (no so strong you have wind warnings). During the climb, at about 100-150 ft Mini 2 start drifting exactly in the wind direction. The drift lasts less than 10 seconds during which my drone shifted 80-100 ft (sorry I cannot tell you the wind speed value, I think it was just below the warning threshold). In the next 10 seconds, without any input commands, the drone slowly returns in the correct place. So, the drift is temporary.

What was said happen only (and systematically) with camera pointing down at 90 degree (red circle blinking). If you raise a bit at 89 degree (up to 0, horizontal) never happen, wind force is perfectly compensated, as usual. Note that, if you raise a bit the camera while Mini 2 is drifting, the drift stop immediately.

For what concerns me, this is not an issue. I know it and never stay at 90 degree limit with the cam. But if the problem is spread among users, I believe that it would be good DJI fixes it. In the presence of wind, people who have this issue, must be careful to takeoff and climb with camera at 90 degree when flying close to tree, building, etc.

Happy flying!
3-6 04:27
Use props
Arpettaz
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Firefly2000 Posted at 3-6 04:27
Hi all flying friends!

I'm a very happy Mini 2 owner. That is a fantastic machine that allows us to fly with our mind while grounded!
Hi there, did you do your test flight before or after the most recent firmware was released? There was a firmware update a few days ago. I have just taken my drone for a test flight with the brand-new firmware installed and there was no drifting of the drone with the gimbal at 90 degrees even at the maximum legal altitude of 120 m with a headwind 26 km/h. The notes that accompanied the firmware update did say that a drifting problem has been rectified and it looks like DJ I have done just that
3-6 04:36
Use props
Firefly2000
lvl.1
Italy

I updated yesterday my setup, before the test flight.

Firmware drone is 01.02.0300
Firmware controller is 02.00.1200
IOS app is 1.3.0

See you!
3-6 05:27
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 555348 ft

United Kingdom

So Been using the DJI Mini 2 just under a month now and the past 2 days I have noticed some issues with the gimbal. I have never crashed or damaged the drone or anything but I have noticed that when I am in Cinematic or Normal mode that the gimbal does not stay in place and a lot of the time it seems to move as shown in the footage below as well as a screen recording I have linked.  It also seems to move up when Im not even doing anything or adjusting the gimbal.  I have also re calibrated the IMU and compass many times but dosent seem to do anything.  Has anyone came across this issue before, is it a fault and do I need to get it repaired or is it a software related issue as only had it since I updated the firmware 2 days ago?  All the footage below had no movement done to the gimbal so you can see how it is moving without me doing anything.   Footage 1 [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/VRCOT5-6w0M  Screen Recording -https://youtu.be/LndXRPRBN5Y  Footage 2 [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/r-dqoTQCjAY
3-6 08:23
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ive had drifting as well but with the gimbal
3-6 08:23
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Firefly2000 Posted at 3-6 04:27
Hi all flying friends!

Did you have this issue same as me? Check video links which shows the gimbal drifting

So Been using the DJI Mini 2 just under a month now and the past 2 days I  have noticed some issues with the gimbal. I have never crashed or  damaged the drone or anything but I have noticed that when I am in  Cinematic or Normal mode that the gimbal does not stay in place and a  lot of the time it seems to move as shown in the footage below as well  as a screen recording I have linked.  It also seems to move up when Im  not even doing anything or adjusting the gimbal.  I have also re  calibrated the IMU and compass many times but dosent seem to do  anything.  Has anyone came across this issue before, is it a fault and  do I need to get it repaired or is it a software related issue as only  had it since I updated the firmware 2 days ago?  All the footage below  had no movement done to the gimbal so you can see how it is moving  without me doing anything.   Footage 1  [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/VRCOT5-6w0M  Screen  Recording -https://youtu.be/LndXRPRBN5Y  Footage 2  [color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/r-dqoTQCjAY
3-6 08:25
Use props
Firefly2000
lvl.1
Italy

Hi DronePilot567, in my case the gimbal behaves properly and as expected (today experience with the new firmware).
It does not happen what I saw in your videos. Unfortunately I do not know what is causing your gimbal drift...
3-6 09:32
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3558757 ft
United States

Did you update to the very latest FW that came out a few days ago?
3-6 12:05
Use props
djiuser_DYNygzbCOXBZ
lvl.3

United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-6 12:05
Did you update to the very latest FW that came out a few days ago?
Yes, and as you can see from the message I posted earlier today the latest firmware seems to have fixed the problem I was having.
3-6 15:02
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3558757 ft
United States

djiuser_DYNygzbCOXBZ Posted at 3-6 15:02
Yes, and as you can see from the message I posted earlier today the latest firmware seems to have fixed the problem I was having.

Good to hear
3-6 19:02
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules