How long before the flight should we charge the battery?
3553 16 2021-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168727 ft
Brazil

Is there a best practice on how long before the flight should we charge the battery to its full capacity?
Typically, best practice is that we should not store fully charged batteries or fully discharged batteries. So usually I store my batteries between 40 and 50% of their capacity.
But if I'm flying tomorrow afternoon, when should I recharge them? Can I recharge them today or it will reduce the lifetime or damage the battery?

Thank you.
2021-1-24
Use props
Trevor OV MM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4562008 ft
Canada

Think I read somewhere to not keep them full for more than 10 days
2021-1-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You may charge them a day or two before flight, but no more if possible. Ideally just hours before flight. Keep them at 55-60% between flights.
2021-1-24
Use props
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Brazil

Trevor OV MM Posted at 1-24 12:38
Think I read somewhere to not keep them full for more than 10 days

Thanks, it makes sense.
2021-1-24
Use props
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Brazil

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-24 12:51
You may charge them a day or two before flight, but no more if possible. Ideally just hours before flight. Keep them at 55-60% between flights.

Thanks Matthew. I'll follow this instructions.
2021-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Zed_Br. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition, I will post a link where in you can see the DJI Mavic Mini Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines. This user manual include how to properly store your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_EK.pdf
2021-1-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep an eye on the charge level. I only have one Mini 2 battery and it never discharged automatically. I have not used or even touched it in 2 weeks and it still shows 4 lights. Guess I should manually discharge it.
2021-1-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 1-24 20:45
Keep an eye on the charge level. I only have one Mini 2 battery and it never discharged automatically. I have not used or even touched it in 2 weeks and it still shows 4 lights. Guess I should manually discharge it.

Do it ASAP, Gary. I never rely on autodischarge feature and all my DJI batts are happy, some 6 years old ...
2021-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always charge the night before.
2021-1-25
Use props
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-24 20:26
Hello there Zed_Br. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition, I will post a link where in you can see the DJI Mavic Mini Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines. This user manual include how to properly store your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20191030/Mavic_Mini_Disclaimer_and_Safety_Guidelines_EK.pdf

Thanks DJI Stephen.
2021-1-25
Use props
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Brazil

GaryDoug Posted at 1-24 20:45
Keep an eye on the charge level. I only have one Mini 2 battery and it never discharged automatically. I have not used or even touched it in 2 weeks and it still shows 4 lights. Guess I should manually discharge it.

Hi GeryDoug,

Thanks for your advise. To store my batteries I'm usually flying until reach around 40% of capacity. I think this is ok to store the batteries. My doubt was more about when to recharge before the next flight.

Thanks a lot.
2021-1-25
Use props
Zed_Br
lvl.4
Brazil

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 01:52
I always charge the night before.

Hi DAFlys,

This is what I'm going to do from now on.
2021-1-25
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

Out of curiosity, why shouldn't I keep my mini batteries (both Mini 1 and 2) fully charged if I don't plan to use the drone?  
What could happen if I store them fully charged for a prolonged period?
2021-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

moniek1996 Posted at 1-25 02:59
Out of curiosity, why shouldn't I keep my mini batteries (both Mini 1 and 2) fully charged if I don't plan to use the drone?  
What could happen if I store them fully charged for a prolonged period?

Lithium batteries tend to swell up if stored full,   and have been known to explode and/or catch fire.  Theres loads of examples on the forum for example of swollen Mavic 2 batteries.   DJI have this guide for batteries.

https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think/
2021-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zed_Br Posted at 1-25 02:24
Hi DAFlys,

This is what I'm going to do from now on.

Useful guide from DJI - https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think/
2021-1-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I check the weather forecast the day before I plan to fly and if it looks good then I charge the batteries that night.  Especially if I'm going to get up and try to capture some sunrise footage.  
2021-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Zed_Br Posted at 1-25 02:21
Thanks DJI Stephen.

Hi there Zed_Br. You are very much welcome and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you. .
2021-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules