Dynamic Home Point Queries
1278 8 2015-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If I set dynamic home point during a flight and then lose signal due to an obstacle, does this mean;

1) When the bird clears the signal it should regain connection and fly to me?

2) Do I need to turn the remote off and back on after losing signal? Does this have an effect?

3) If it did not regain signal would it return to the previous home point i.e. take off location?

4) If it is turned off at its landing point then moved and turned on at a different location and moved a few metres; would it create an assumed flight path between the location of turn off and the location of turn back on and moved slightly?

Thanks
2015-7-6
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1. If you or phantom lose signal, phantom will simply return to the HP or DHP. It will be then up to the pilot to cancel RTH and take over.

2. If you turn off remote - it will be like signal loss and it will RTH.

3. It will RTH to last known HP.

4. Not sure. I think it classes as new HP and new flight every time you power off and on the phantom. I haven't tested.
2015-7-6
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

1)  It will fly back to the dynamic home point you set..  So if that was the remote location it's you, but if some random point where the P3 was, that's where it's going..

2)  Most of the time people say their phantom 'lost signal' they're actually talking about the video, not the R/C it seems. If you check the status LED on the R/C and it's red, then you've lost the R/C link, and the bird is coming home..  I'd be leaving it on, but if that LED is red I'd suppose there is a chance cycling the power on the remote might bring it back?

3) It will return to the last home point...  Where you took off from, or where you set the point to dynamically in the app.

4) Not sure what you're asking??  The home point is set when the motors start turning...  If you start the motors, hover, land and then move 10 meters and take off again the home point is at that new take off point, not the first one..  Even if you leave the phantom on.

Hope that helps. :-)
2015-7-6
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-7-7 07:34
1)  It will fly back to the dynamic home point you set..  So if that was the remote location it's yo ...

On the one hand I don't want to burden developers with BS requests. On the other hand....

After it becomes obvious that the dynamic home point is working properly, it might be nice to have some sort of confirmation that you're changing the home point. Perhaps a verbal query from the virtual co-pilot? "Press (fill in the blank) to confirm change of Home Point."

At the moment, my virtual co-pilot never says much. Upon first booting, I hear "...welcome, please complete..." blah, blah, blah. Then, when everything is warmed up and motors are started, I hear "takeoff!" But we're expect to look at the display and verify that we do indeed have a Home Point established. If my honey could say "...home point established, ready for takeoff." And later, if you decide to change the Home Point, receive a verbal cue to verify that's what you intend to do.

I'm also trying to sort out (in my imagination - you did smell something burning, didn't you?) when you truly need to dynamically alter your Home Point.
2015-7-7
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Try it, that is what I would do. Rth won't break your p3 ya know...  And the map shows you where your home point is on top of it
2015-7-7
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-7-7 07:32
1. If you or phantom lose signal, phantom will simply return to the HP or DHP. It will be then up to ...

I tested this recently, it was about 10-15 meters away, hovering at about 20 feet. I turned off my Tx and it just started descending, landing were it was. In my settings my fail safe was set to RTH. My home point was where I was standing. Is there a rule about proximity, like with the RTH button? I haven't tested it again at a longer range because I'm unable to use my ultrasonic sensors and don't want to risk it landing too hard.
2015-7-18
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Swiss Tony Posted at 2015-7-19 09:33
I tested this recently, it was about 10-15 meters away, hovering at about 20 feet. I turned off my ...

Yes. If you are within I believe 20 meters or so it simply lands.
2015-7-18
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Swiss Tony Posted at 2015-7-19 09:33
I tested this recently, it was about 10-15 meters away, hovering at about 20 feet. I turned off my ...

If the phantom is within 20m / 65ft and RTH is triggered, it will land.
There is no need for the phantom to shoot up XXm into the air and RTH when its in visual range. Also, this prevents users from thinking its a "fly-away". Some users may idle/drain battery/accidently turn off controller when they are standing near the phantom. And then all of sudden (battery at critical), the phantom shoots up into the (roof inside the house) and try to "fly-away".

They have made a failsafe with in a failsafe.
2015-7-19
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the confirmation chaps. I don't like this rule, unless you're flying in an area of flat land with a radius of 40m then it can just land on anything.

Do you happen to know if it's just horizontal distance or if it includes distance from Tx? I often fly off cliffs and over water and there's plenty of "dead quad" landing spots within 20m. I guess I'll have to move my take off point accordingly from now on, I'm glad that you told me this, thank you.
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules