Train Derailment
464 20 2021-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

So I finally got a chance to film something cool, and of course Murphy's Law had rear it's ugly head. I drove 45 minutes to see this and realize I left my SD card at home. Luckily I was able to record the video to my tablet, so please excuse the lower quality and jitterness.

2021-1-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nothing cool about that.
Very sad to see this happened.
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-28 00:32
Nothing cool about that.
Very sad to see this happened.

It was a derailed freight train, nobody got hurt. Perhaps I should have said interesting instead of cool.
2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 00:45
It was a derailed freight train, nobody got hurt. Perhaps I should have said interesting instead of cool.

I can see it is a freight train
Could be even worse with a freight train as it can carry stuff you don't want in the environment (I doubt that is the case here btw)

Still it is a major costly thing that should not have happened in the first place.
Usually it happens because of bad maintenance.

Probably costs the company a small fortune to repair this.
Not sure who owns the tracks over at your place, but chances are you are co owner (as a tax payer), so part of it will be on your bill too!
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-28 00:49
I can see it is a freight train  
Could be even worse with a freight train as it can carry stuff you don't want in the environment (I doubt that is the case here btw)

Luckily this was in another county about 45 minutes away so I don't think it will be showing up on my bill. You should have seen how bad the tracks were, its no wonder it derailed, they are going to have to spend alot more than just cleaning up those few cars. There is going to be alot of track that will need to be fixed or replaced. Also they were only carrying paper so you were right about no chemical spills to worry about.
2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 01:15
Luckily this was in another county about 45 minutes away so I don't think it will be showing up on my bill. You should have seen how bad the tracks were, its no wonder it derailed, they are going to have to spend alot more than just cleaning up those few cars. There is going to be alot of track that will need to be fixed or replaced. Also they were only carrying paper so you were right about no chemical spills to worry about.

It is a shame when they don't have the funds to maintain these lines.
As usually repairing after something bad is more costly than to do it upfront.
But hey, nothing we can do about that.

To get back 'on track' (pun intended), I did notice some jerky movements in your flying.
Looking at your mileage, you have plenty of experience.
Did something go wrong there, or was it just over excitement?
2021-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely captured.    
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-28 01:57
It is a shame when they don't have the funds to maintain these lines.
As usually repairing after something bad is more costly than to do it upfront.
But hey, nothing we can do about that.

There was some nervousness yes, but i think the jerkiness was more due to lag from the video transmission. As I said I forgot that my SD card wasn't in my drone so i had to use the video from my tablet.
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Thank you, I really wish I had my SD card in the drone so it would be higher quality and smoother video. But the way I look at it, the video from my tablet is better than no video.
2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 02:18
There was some nervousness yes, but i think the jerkiness was more due to lag from the video transmission. As I said I forgot that my SD card wasn't in my drone so i had to use the video from my tablet.

It is more the movements I'm talking about.
They seem very sudden and short.
Instead of nice continuous and slow.

It happens when I accidentally press  'rec' and record something that was not ready for recording.
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-28 02:27
It is more the movements I'm talking about.
They seem very sudden and short.
Instead of nice continuous and slow.

Ah yes that I had a hard time with because there was quite a few cars driving by and I was more worried about not hitting a car or a tree or something than getting really good video. Also there was a slight bend in the road from where I was standing so it was getting hard to see the drone.
2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 02:44
Ah yes that I had a hard time with because there was quite a few cars driving by and I was more worried about not hitting a car or a tree or something than getting really good video. Also there was a slight bend in the road from where I was standing so it was getting hard to see the drone.

I totally get it.
Better to watch out for problems than focus on the screen and derail your drone!
2021-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 02:21
Thank you, I really wish I had my SD card in the drone so it would be higher quality and smoother video. But the way I look at it, the video from my tablet is better than no video.

Indeed,  some video has to be better than no video.
2021-1-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely captured.  Appears there was a lack of track maintenance before this derailment.  
2021-1-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-28 06:24
Very nicely captured.  Appears there was a lack of track maintenance before this derailment.

Thank you. There was a definite lack of track maintenance, I have never seen tracks look so bad.
2021-1-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-28 10:40
Thank you. There was a definite lack of track maintenance, I have never seen tracks look so bad.

You're very welcome.  Stay safe and have a great weekend.
2021-1-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely capture
2021-1-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Looks like they've lain there for a good while?
2021-1-30
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-30 23:25
Looks like they've lain there for a good while?

Yeah sure looks like it. I don't know how any trains haven't derailed until now on those track.
2021-1-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-31 17:04
Yeah sure looks like it. I don't know how any trains haven't derailed until now on those track.

It does look to be in poor condition. Had there been flooding there in the past, perhaps, to undermine the railbed?
2021-1-31
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Just glad that no one got hurt.
2021-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now