Photographing the moon with a drone - A 'How NOT to' guide
3047 21 2021-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So I am still discovering new ways to do things with my Mini 2.  Sometimes there is more than one way.  Sometimes there is just one way - and sometimes there is only the wrong way.  It seems that perhaps taking (unintentional) photos and video of the moon falls into the latter category.  

Tips from a newbie
Tip 1:  Look where you are going, not where you have been.  No matter how cool it looks on camera
Tip 2:  Trees, particularly the tall ones, are pseudo-magnetic to drones.  If there is just one tall tree in the area, thats the one you will hit.  aka Sod's Law.

It was all going so well .....

2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warnings!
2021-1-28
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You are welcome Montfrooij but I suspect you didn't need them.  It was a case of enthusiasm over experience - and skill.  Another lesson learned.
2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

oops.    .
2021-1-29
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Not quite what I said when it happened.  It came down of its own accord 3 days later after rain, snow and sub-zero temps.  Ripped the gimble off and snapped a motor arm in the 75'+ fall.  On its way to Heliguy as we speak.  
All trees in the area are only about 50 feet tall, except the one I reversed into of course.  Only myself to blame.

2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-29 06:43
Not quite what I said when it happened.  It came down of its own accord 3 days later after rain, snow and sub-zero temps.  Ripped the gimble off and snapped a motor arm in the 75'+ fall.  On its way to Heliguy as we speak.  Only myself to blame.

Ouch,  did Heliguy quote you before you shipped it off for repair?
2021-1-29
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-29 06:51
Ouch,  did Heliguy quote you before you shipped it off for repair?

Not exactly as he thought the battery and or motors may be screwed as well (wet, frozen) but did add that if the total cost or repair exceeds the cost of the unit replacement (~£250/£300!!!!) then thats what they will do.  Groan.  They will inspect and let me know before proceeding.  
2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-29 06:58
Not exactly as he thought the battery and or motors may be screwed as well (wet, frozen) but did add that if the total cost or repair exceeds the cost of the unit replacement (~£250/£300!!!!) then thats what they will do.  Groan.  They will inspect and let me know before proceeding.

I'll cross my fingers for you.  
2021-1-29
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-29 07:06
I'll cross my fingers for you.

Cheers DAFlys.  Appreciated.  I need all the finger-crossing I can get.
2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-29 07:34

You're very welcome.
2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniGitmo Posted at 1-29 07:34

You're very welcome.
2021-1-29
Use props
K-Castello
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2790305 ft
Belgium

Trees are actually drone magnets
2021-1-29
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

K-Castello Posted at 1-29 11:03

Yes, I think they are.
2021-1-29
Use props
Kostaban
lvl.1

Canada

Oh NO!!!
2021-2-10
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

K-Castello Posted at 1-29 11:03

That's for damn sure!

Couple months later.  What was the end result?
2021-4-23
Use props
bazilenco
lvl.2
Moldova

Ouch
2021-7-9
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 4-23 17:53
That's for damn sure!

Couple months later.  What was the end result?

Hi K6CCC.  Apologies for slow reply.  It took 3 months to repair!  Not a DJI issue but a consequence of Brexit (I am in the UK) and Covid.  Its a long story involving TWO trips for the mini 2 to the DJI repair centre in the Netherlands.  The first trip it almost made it to DJI but after several weeks residing in Customs it was returned to the UK because of incorrect customs paperwork.  The attempt was more successful and DJI turned is around in a week.  Busted camera replaced, as were 2 broken arms (from the fall from the tree in near zero temperatures I suspect).  Total cost £215.  Ouch.  Note to self:  Next time buy the crash insurance.  All good now and enjoying the flying - away from trees at the moment.
2021-8-16
Use props
djiuser_JsaDPfThwIIA
New

India

Nice guide
2021-8-16
Use props
v2web.in
New

India

Digital Marketing Agency in New York
2021-8-16
Use props
djiuser_YXMJN9V3Njzz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 359623 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks
2021-8-16
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

MiniGitmo Posted at 8-16 01:08
Hi K6CCC.  Apologies for slow reply.  It took 3 months to repair!  Not a DJI issue but a consequence of Brexit (I am in the UK) and Covid.  Its a long story involving TWO trips for the mini 2 to the DJI repair centre in the Netherlands.  The first trip it almost made it to DJI but after several weeks residing in Customs it was returned to the UK because of incorrect customs paperwork.  The attempt was more successful and DJI turned is around in a week.  Busted camera replaced, as were 2 broken arms (from the fall from the tree in near zero temperatures I suspect).  Total cost £215.  Ouch.  Note to self:  Next time buy the crash insurance.  All good now and enjoying the flying - away from trees at the moment.

Too bad that it was such a pain to get fixed.  I'm sure you are glad to have it back!
A little easier here in the USA where there are several DJI repair centers - including one within 30 miles of me.  Oddly enough, when I crashed my Mini last year, DJI had me send it to a repair facility half way across the county - I suspect that was due to COVID at the time.
2021-8-16
Use props
MiniGitmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 8-16 05:51
Too bad that it was such a pain to get fixed.  I'm sure you are glad to have it back!
A little easier here in the USA where there are several DJI repair centers - including one within 30 miles of me.  Oddly enough, when I crashed my Mini last year, DJI had me send it to a repair facility half way across the county - I suspect that was due to COVID at the time.

Yes, very glad thanks.  Slowly building my skills.
I believe that there is now at least one DJI repair centre in the UK that can handle the Mini 2 but hoping that I won't need it.
2021-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules