I think we can now say that Mini 2 is "bird proof" XD
3657 24 2021-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

At the beginning I was completely trapped inside and didn't even see it  coming... still surprised how I could get out of there alive o_O

If you wonder how I didn't notice that 500.000 bird folk coming... The  town council announced the following day that environmental workers were  trying to force that community of roughly 500,000 starlings to change  their resting place, scaring them out of the trees, at that very  moment... (they have been living in the nearby pines for the last few  weeks). So the just came out of the trees just when I was flying nearby  XD

I've already had some experience with small folks of starlings (not at  this scale though) and I know they don't hit you on purpose, they fly  close and in big numbers and try to scare predators, but won't hit you  on purpose. So I tried to slowly flew out of the area into a more rural  one, searching for an optimal crash site just in case I got accidentally  hit (a little hit and you are down). Tried to avoid fast movement to  let the starlings have enough time to evade (are pretty agile) and  stopped in the areas where the folk got more dense.

Small folks I encountered before were more "aggressive", but you just  move out of the area, in a nice and predictable straight line, and you  will be ok. Pigeons seem to do the same, but they are less agile so it's  easier for them to accidentally hit the drone. Beware of lonely  predators or aggressive birds though, and get out of there ASAP in sport  mode.

2021-1-29
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Nice shot, glad the birds left you alone!
2021-1-29
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

What a fantastic video of your situation indeed. Thanks for showing us, quite amazing the number of birds!
2021-1-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Huginn Kenningar, wow . . . lots of them, any evidence that your drone propellers struck any of them?    But nice video, and thank you for sharing.
2021-1-29
Use props
Photo Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 456201 ft
Canada

That is like a bad nightmare, I would of got out of there as fast as possible.
Guess it was you lucky day.
2021-1-29
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

wow, that was a close one...good those birds are quite agile to avoid the drone. good call not putting in sport and trying to speed out of there.  the footage is impressive
2021-1-29
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I suspect the birds get used to dodging other birds real quick...or else they end up on the ground...dead ;-)
2021-1-29
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

The obstacle avoidance systems aboard the Starlings are performing flawlessly.
2021-1-29
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

I thought you did it on purpose.
Nice footage, Hitchcock style...
2021-1-29
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i see a dozen birds and i run like hell.  i guess i really don't need to do so going forward.  although in my case, the birds seem to be hovering, circling, and attacking.  still....if you can withstand a couple thousand bird onslaught, that's pretty outstanding.  nice video!
2021-1-29
Use props
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

that's to show us how amazing those birds are at acrobatics. I bet you didn't end up with even 1 feather on your props. From one bird watcher to another (?), great video! (where i live, we don't have bird flocks like that and so far i've only managed to take close up vids of single birds... although some really nice birds xD)
2021-1-29
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Cients Posted at 1-29 15:03
I thought you did it on purpose.
Nice footage, Hitchcock style...

Haha, I still can't believe it landed in one piece (not a single feather or any indication that they touched it).

I was just shooting a video of the castle and the full moon rising... and then started to see little black dots everywhere in the screen... looked at the sky and OMG, this is it, good bye Mini 2 U_U

When I realized I was fully surrounded and could not run out of there in sports mode I was expecting the drone to fall at any time, just hoping I could slowly make it to the reedbed in order to not hurt anyone/anything in the crash.

Some starlings flew suuuuper close and I was like, ok, here comes the crash XDD

Thought the Mini 2 was going down like the Last Crusade plane XDD

2021-1-29
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Nice video. Thank you for sharing.
You were extremely lucky nothing happened.
2021-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

too close for comfort.
2021-1-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Great shots and yes, that's was a close call. Thanks for sharing it with us, Huginn Kenningar, Huginn Kenningar.
2021-1-30
Use props
Dakster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378196 ft
United Kingdom

Great video, thanks for sharing
2021-1-30
Use props
hhasanain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064308 ft
Saudi Arabia

I’d freak out if I saw 2-3 birds around me lol.
Craws once attacked my drone I actually had to fly away and down instantly,, lovely shots with all these birds
2021-1-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely a nightmare situation.  Glad your drone was not harmed.  Pays to be lucky at times.
2021-1-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that is impressive!
2021-1-30
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 1-29 17:33
Haha, I still can't believe it landed in one piece (not a single feather or any indication that they touched it).

I was just shooting a video of the castle and the full moon rising... and then started to see little black dots everywhere in the screen... looked at the sky and OMG, this is it, good bye Mini 2 U_U

Oh, you were super-calm to land the Mini in one piece!
2021-1-31
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

That's impressive and terryfing! I panic when I see even 1 bird around my mini. Never thought I'd start hating birds this badly ever since I bought my 1st drone
2021-2-1
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110184 ft
United Kingdom

Holy crap I'd have brought it down immediately haha.
2021-2-1
Use props
Aman27
lvl.1
Canada

Amazing shot. kudos on your bravery and not running away from that flock!
2021-2-1
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Incredible experience with the Mini.
2021-2-1
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30128 ft