Mini 2 owner thinking of upgrading to Air 2
794 11 2021-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

As per the title, I'm thinking of getting the Mavic Air 2, even though I have the Mini 2 (which I might sell afterwards).  I already have my license, so I'd only have to register the drone (which isn't expensive).
The main reasons are collision detection, active follow, but most of all, the Canadian winter weather is below the temperatures that the Mini 2 can handle (i.e. Air 2 is rated for -10C).

Can anyone chime in on the last point (operating temperature)?  Assuming that I can handle the drone with gloves on, are my expectations out of whack?

Thanks,
LJR
2021-1-29
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Do a search on the forum and see what temps others are flying their Mini 2s at.
2021-1-29
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

yogi053 Posted at 1-29 03:15
Do a search on the forum and see what temps others are flying their Mini 2s at.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I’ve seen that some are running into problems.  Also, Transport Canada is big on ensuring that the drone is operated within published specs.  If there were to be an incident and found that I was operating below the published temperature, I could be found as being negligent/fined.
2021-1-29
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-29 03:16
Thanks for the suggestion.  I’ve seen that some are running into problems.  Also, Transport Canada is big on ensuring that the drone is operated within published specs.  If there were to be an incident and found that I was operating below the published temperature, I could be found as being negligent/fined.

Yep, I see where you are coming from, and I know rules and regulations, in the main, are usually good to follow, but would the temperatures be that exact during flying periods.
I would hazard a guess that very few, if any, drone operators, have adhered to all the regulations 100% of the time.
Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating that you should break any laws or such.
In the end, the choice is yours, and I hope you enjoy flying whatever you choose.
Stay safe, happy flying.
2021-1-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there LJR. Thank you for reaching out and for considering the DJI Mavic Air 2 as your nest DJI drone. The Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Mavic Air 2 is at -10° to 40°C ( 14° to 104°F ). In addition to this and since you are flying your DJI Drone to a winter weather I will I will post a link where in you can check some tips on Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/winter-drone-flying-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-1-29
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks, DJI Stephen.  Unfortunately, there appears to be another discrepancy in the information being provided.

You confirmed that the operation temperature is as low as -10C whereas the article you linked states, “Do not fly in temperatures below 0°C (32°F)”.

Which directive are we to follow?
2021-1-29
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Mavic Air 2 performs far better than the Mini 2 in wind conditions.  Given your location, in Canada, wind during the winter is probably a significant factor.  

I was really keen on getting the Mini 2 but after an experience flying the Mini 2 while showing a new pilot the basics in 10-15mph gusts I shelved the idea.  This was in San Diego on a particularly windy day near the ocean.  There were handful of other drone operators at the location flying a variety of drones.  Another guy had a Mini 2, he was having a lot of trouble with the wind also.  The Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2 Zoom and Autel Evo II where unaffected by the wind for the speed against headwind and battery loss going into the wind.

Also, the battery and speed to range on the Mavic Air 2 is significantly greater than the Mini 2.  With the Mavic Air 2 you are able to get to the location fast and have more time to shoot before having to return due to battery depletion.
2021-1-29
Use props
Ninja63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 359478 ft
United Kingdom

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-29 11:15
The Mavic Air 2 performs far better than the Mini 2 in wind conditions.  Given your location, in Canada, wind during the winter is probably a significant factor.  

I was really keen on getting the Mini 2 but after an experience flying the Mini 2 while showing a new pilot the basics in 10-15mph gusts I shelved the idea.  This was in San Diego on a particularly windy day near the ocean.  There were handful of other drone operators at the location flying a variety of drones.  Another guy had a Mini 2, he was having a lot of trouble with the wind also.  The Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2 Zoom and Autel Evo II where unaffected by the wind for the speed against headwind and battery loss going into the wind.

i tried a friends mini 2 and its not in the same league for high wind stability ,,,i would never ever swap my Mavic air 2 for the mini 2 it gets blown about like a bee ,i have flown my air 2 in 35mph with no issues at all..
2021-1-29
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

fans42c8019f Posted at 1-29 05:24
Thanks, DJI Stephen.  Unfortunately, there appears to be another discrepancy in the information being provided.

You confirmed that the operation temperature is as low as -10C whereas the article you linked states, “Do not fly in temperatures below 0°C (32°F)”.

Yesterday and during the night we had a heavy snow fall.
This morning a bright sunny and cold day at -2°C and 78% humidity
So i took the chance to take some nice snow pictures of our house and property.
During 25 min. flight no issues. The only thing i discovered after landing was a little ice on the tips of the props.
Over all the MA2 seems to be reliable within the given specs.
2021-1-30
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

MySky Posted at 1-30 03:23
Yesterday and during the night we had a heavy snow fall.
This morning a bright sunny and cold day at -2°C and 78% humidity
So i took the chance to take some nice snow pictures of our house and property.

Over all the MA2 seems to be reliable within the given specs

I have the same experience. I´ve been flying in winter conditions (the lowest temp was -4,5°C at the ground) and MA2 did well.
2021-1-30
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Ninja63 Posted at 1-29 11:57
i tried a friends mini 2 and its not in the same league for high wind stability ,,,i would never ever swap my Mavic air 2 for the mini 2 it gets blown about like a bee ,i have flown my air 2 in 35mph with no issues at all..

I would agree.  I did experience the Mavic Air 2 getting buffered by the wind and shaking the gimble at around 35mph winds that were gusting.  It made the footage unusable but the Mavic Air 2 stayed on course and was able to power through with a significant battery depletion going into the head wind.  

I wonder if given the price point and target market of the Mini/2 if a significant number of purchasers lack the foundation in flying and have not done there due diligence in research to understand the complexities of wind.  Therefore ending up in situations where the Mini/2 meets a tragic fate.  Hence, the greater number of post about a lost Mini than other drones.  No amount of pilot experience is going to change how the Mini performs in wind but more expired pilots have a better change of getting the Mini down in windy situations than beginners.  I hypothesize, that pilots who owned other drones before the Mini/2 know when it is appropriate to use the Mini from experience and also are better capable at managing adverse situations.

The Mini 2 is a fine drone at an excellent price point for new pilots full of features and capabilities.  The Mini 2's portability is far superior to the other DJI drones.

GaryDoug has both and he said he rarely uses the Mini 2 and primary flies his Mavic Air 2 for daily excursions.
2021-1-30
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for all the comments.  I ended up buying a Mavic Air 2 and can’t wait to get it up into the air.  (Just waiting on this Firmware/App version mess to be sorted out by DJI).
2021-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules