Is it safe to fly with these warnings?
12Next >
3788 52 2015-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

Just fired up the P3P for the first time in a little while and got this set of unsettling warnings. I dont want to upgrade to the newest firmware yet as it has some issues so my question would be is it ok to fly with the warnings (photo below) Thanks!

Warnings

Warnings
2015-7-6
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I have the same Warnings and I am still on 1.1.9 and flying flawlessly...

I will not upgrade until DJI released another firmware and PEOPLE actually confirms its good.....
2015-7-6
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-7 12:05

I will not upgrade until  ...

thanks for the reply and glad to hear it, I should be back up in no time. Thanks again SectorDrone for your help!
2015-7-6
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

My P3A will be back tomorrow, as UPS say, if the FW isn't the latest I surely won't update. 7 weeks without my bird is enough time without flying
2015-7-6
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-7-7 13:58
My P3A will be back tomorrow, as UPS say, if the FW isn't the latest I surely won't update. 7 weeks  ...

Congrats Dude! You'll absolutely love it. Dont worry about firmware problems much if at all just stay up to date on DJI's plans to repair it. The P3 is a fantastic platform and I think you'll love it especially after all the time waiting for it. Awesome avatar btw
2015-7-6
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-7-7 13:58
My P3A will be back tomorrow, as UPS say, if the FW isn't the latest I surely won't update. 7 weeks  ...

It will more than likely have the latest firmware on it ( mine did after repair ).
2015-7-6
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2015-7-7 14:01
Congrats Dude! You'll absolutely love it. Dont worry about firmware problems much if at all just s ...

@Michael: Thanks Michael, I used to fly before crash and DJI support keep my bird away from my rc ;)
I had a bad crash and, afaik, it was a gps problem (no cost for repair). I'm checking the UPS tracking page once/hour... like a child waits xmas. rotfl. (you can see where I live at the end of post, so, imagine the possibilities I miss in the last 7 weeks )

2015-7-7
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-7-7 14:13
It will more than likely have the latest firmware on it ( mine did after repair ).

I agree, 99.99% will have new FW. Tomorrow I'll new.
2015-7-7
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-7-7 20:11
@Michael: Thanks Michael, I used to fly before crash and DJI support keep my bird away from my rc ; ...

I feel happy for you. You have been so patient during the last weeks, taking part in discussions without just bitching on DJI. I do hope that you will have a lot of fun with your P3 from tomorrow on and I am looking forward to seeing some videos. Where is it, Riviera? I would be happy to see some spots on the DroneZones App (from Newcastle University).
2015-7-7
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

DroPro Posted at 2015-7-7 20:56
I feel happy for you. You have been so patient during the last weeks, taking part in discussions wi ...

For being bitchy... not bitchy but I have to admit it, I trolled some posts (while suggesting DJI ways to redeem themselves).
Amalfi Coast. I'm quite sure to obtain some dramatic shoots, I'll keep posting.

2015-7-7
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-7 12:05

I will not upgrade until  ...

yeah me also
2015-7-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Those are firmware update warnings. We recommend you update firmware.
2015-7-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-7-7 20:11
@Michael: Thanks Michael, I used to fly before crash and DJI support keep my bird away from my rc ; ...

Beautiful video. Sorry to hear it took so long for you to get your Phantom back.
2015-7-7
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-8 08:25

DJI-DAVE

WHY WOULD YOU ADVOCATE THAT???? With all the problems the update has caused, you want to take another P3P out of service or even destroy it????  Making a statement like that is just so wrong in so many ways !!!!!
2015-7-7
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

myhondas Posted at 2015-7-8 11:20
DJI-DAVE

WHY WOULD YOU ADVOCATE THAT???? With all the problems the update has caused, you want to  ...

They just blindly following Company Policy.... no Customer Care whasoever !!!
2015-7-7
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-8 11:57

Guys... I wouldn't want to be in DJI shoes, not talking about customer care for well known problems, but talking about safety first/priorities. If, an example with some random data, with FW 1.X we had 1200 malfunctions on 10k P3 sold ( a 12% rate) and with FW 2.X we had 2.500 malfunctions on 100k P3 sold ( a 2.5% rate) what you will say to the customers? "update, UPDATE for motherofupdate sake!"

Main purpose of forums, since first one, is to solve problems so it is natural to have tons of FW malfunctions threads instead of awesome videos (ok both, but we feel close to the noisy posts, human nature)

It is just a personal point of view.
2015-7-7
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-7-8 14:27
Guys... I wouldn't want to be in DJI shoes, not talking about customer care for well known problem ...

I just bought my P3 a week ago still in 1.1.9  and Im good...

I dont think FW 2.XX already reach more that FW 1.XXX and tons of people with flawless P3 having issue in a snap !!
2015-7-7
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-8 08:25

Thanks Dave, I understand what the warnings are for I was just was wondering if it would cause any negative effects on flight performance. Due to widespread firmware updates I can't under good conscience possibly update a perfectly flyable aircraft to a firmware that has been so far damaging and unpredictable to several people who have downloaded it
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-7-8 11:20
DJI-DAVE

WHY WOULD YOU ADVOCATE THAT???? With all the problems the update has caused, you want to  ...

Why are you yelling? You do know that going to all caps is the digital equivalent of yelling at someone?
I will not yell back at you.

We recommend that you update firmware but the choice is up to you.

The new firmware is not causing people to destroy their Phantoms.
The main issue is the vps problem.
Just turn vps off and you are fine. I am flying on current firmware as are most other guys. So that a very big number of people flying on current firmware with no trouble!
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2015-7-9 06:04
Thanks Dave, I understand what the warnings are for I was just was wondering if it would cause any ...

On this update you will be ok waiting. You should not have any negative effects. That is not always the case though. Sometimes a firmware update is released because there is a problem found in the current
firmware that could cause a serious problem.
It would be unfortunate if you did not update because of a minor issue some users are having (or even if all users were having) and then you crashed because of the major issue the firmware fixed, but you did not update.

Please keep in mind that we sell hundreds of these Phantoms every day world wide. The number of guys with trouble is very low in comparison. And the problems these guys have is not always firmware related.  
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Also keep in mind that one of the first questions we will ask you if you crash your Phantom and you want to blame us,  is..... Did you update to the latest firmware?
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-8 11:57

We do care. In fact we are listening to our customers. Especially the ones that are respectful and not yelling at us.

We are soon going to be releasing firmware that will have the option to roll back to the old firmware if you want. We have never done this before. This of course will not be available if the new firmware fixed a serious bug that could cause serious problems. That would not make sense.
2015-7-8
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

Dave,
     So you are saying that even if everything is working fine, including VPS, we should go ahead and update firmware and disable VPS?
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

rseal Posted at 2015-7-9 07:15
Dave,
     So you are saying that even if everything is working fine, including VPS, we should go ah ...

Usually we do always recommend updating firmware. That is why we come out with firmware when we do. We would not work hard on a new firmware just to tell everybody not to use it. so yes.

However. As I said a couple of post up. On this update you are ok waiting. That is my personal recommendation.

It is up to you.
2015-7-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rseal Posted at 2015-7-9 07:15
Dave,
     So you are saying that even if everything is working fine, including VPS, we should go ah ...

rseal, the current firmware improves VPS for some but not for all.  What Dave and DJI is recommending is if you have an issue with VPS turn it off.  If not leave it on.  We are working on a fix for all but this is an issue that only a few are having and even with having users send units back to DJI HQ we are have difficulty isolating the root cause.  Please be patient and we will resolve this.
2015-7-8
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

My P3 is flying well right now so I am going to let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak, and when the next firmware comes out, then I will take another look. Thanks for your input.

2015-7-8
Use props
astanatv
lvl.2

Kazakhstan

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-9 07:15
We do care. In fact we are listening to our customers. Especially the ones that are respectful and ...

Just reading your posts - I see how nervous you are. Somebody uses this fault to make a big noise. 3DR? Anyway, I am waiting for your new firmware (with that magic option of rolling back) and I am not even touching my 1.2.6 RC. Scared...
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

astanatv Posted at 2015-7-9 12:04
Just reading your posts - I see how nervous you are. Somebody uses this fault to make a big noise.  ...

Nervous? No I can assure you we are not nervous. Does a 800 pound gorilla get nervous? Do you know the size of DJI compared to 3DR?

2015-7-9
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-10 01:48
Nervous? No I can assure you we are not nervous. Does a 800 pound gorilla get nervous? Do you know  ...

Maybe you've answered this and maybe you havent but i'd like to be 100% clear. I just opened my P3P today and obviously, it is asking me to update the firmware. Do you recommend that I upgrade?
2015-7-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-7-10 04:53
Maybe you've answered this and maybe you havent but i'd like to be 100% clear. I just opened my P3P ...

Hi REBELLimgs.

No problem, we do not mind answering questions that might have been asked before. Sometimes that is just how all these online forums work.

Usually we (as a company) always recommend updating firmware. That is why we come out with firmware when we do. We would not work hard on a new firmware just to tell everybody not to use it. so yes.

However. As I said a couple of post up. On this update you are ok waiting. That is my personal recommendation.  

It is up to you.
2015-7-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Many users have suggested that we provide more versions of the firmware so you can choose which one to use. This is something that we have taken on board, and we are delighted to announce that we will be making that happen as soon as dedicated engineers assess the best possible way to make this available.

In the future, there will be two versions of the firmware for you to choose from, the previous version and the new one. This means if for any reason you are not satisfied with the latest firmware you can revert back to the previous one.
2015-7-9
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-10 07:44
Many users have suggested that we provide more versions of the firmware so you can choose which on ...

and another question..

Is there some kind of information on what the latest firmware improved or added?
2015-7-10
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-9 07:07
Also keep in mind that one of the first questions we will ask you if you crash your Phantom and you  ...

I understand, and I get that there are more people that aren't having problems than those who are. However the issues people did experience with 1.1.9 were small glitches that mainly effected the app and not the flyability of the actual craft. 1.2.6 introduced a slew of issues that effect the actual safety of the aircraft. Im willing to risk an older firmware and the possibility that DJI wont help in the event of a crash in the overarching interest of safety.
2015-7-10
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-10 01:48
Nervous? No I can assure you we are not nervous. Does a 800 pound gorilla get nervous? Do you know  ...

This type of comment worries me about the safety that DJI feels in the drone segment and the possibility that innovation will slow. I love Dji and I think you guys make great products, but rivalry between a company should not be with words and insults but rather with innovation and a race for who can create the greatest product. Im sure chevy isn't nervous about Tesla just the same way Dji isn't nervous of 3dr, but both Chevy and Dji have shifted their strategies due to actions of the smaller competitor
2015-7-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-7-10 20:38
and another question..

Is there some kind of information on what the latest firmware improved or  ...

Sorry we do not provide the details of our firmware updates. Very few companies do.
2015-7-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2015-7-11 04:05
This type of comment worries me about the safety that DJI feels in the drone segment and the possi ...

I understand your concern. Healthy rivalry between companies is always good for the customer!
However I do not think you need to worry about innovation. In the last 2 years we have had so much innovation and new products that I can hardly keep up....
Just in the last 2 years we have come out with the Naza-M V2,Naza-M lite, A2, H2-3D, H3-3D, H4-3D, Z15-BMPCC, Phantom2, Phantom Vision, Phantom Vision+, Phantom FC40, Phantom3 both Advanced & Profesional, new light weight smart batteries, Ronin, Ronin-M, Ronin wireless thumb controller, Inspire1, S800 EVO, S900, S1000, S1000+, E300, E310, E305, E600, E800, E1200, Matric-100, new Guidance system for Matric-100,SDK, Lightbridge, Dropsafe,DT7 & DR16, Accessories for a bunch of this stuff, and I might have missed one or two things!

So yeah, that is just the last 2 years! Every time I turn around we have a new product, and I know of several more that are in the works but not released to the public yet! And no I can not say what they are! NDA form and all that you know.

2015-7-10
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-11 08:35
Sorry we do not provide the details of our firmware updates. Very few companies do.

You lost me there. Most firmware updates come with notes that explain the improvements and fixes in the new update. I hope you misunderstood my original question.
2015-7-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-7-11 18:48
You lost me there. Most firmware updates come with notes that explain the improvements and fixes i ...

I think I did. I think I read something into your question that was not there.

When you download a new firmware there is a description of what the firmware corrects or enhances.

For instance here is a "Release Notes" explaining one of the Inspire1 firmware updates.

Overview:
1. All-in-One Firmware version updated to: v1.2.0.16
2. DJI Pilot app Android version updated to: v1.0.5
Major Updates:
1. Enhanced self-check when the aircraft is powered on.
2. Optimized IMU calibration process.
3. Raised the electro-magnetic interference standard for compass calibration.
4. Optimized aircraft yawing motions.
5. Auto-takeoff altitude set to 1.2 meters (3.9 feet).
6. Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meter
(65 foot) radius of the Home Point.

SZ DJI Technology Co. Ltd. provides the firmware “as is” and “as available” for your use, without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including all implied warranties of merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose. You expressly agree that your use of, or inability to use the firmware is at your sole risk. In no case shall SZ DJI Technology Co. Ltd. be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, special, or consequential damages arising from your use of any of the firmware, including but not limited to, any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your misuse, transmitted, etc.
2015-7-12
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-12 16:03

When you download ...

Yes, "Release Notes" is the phrase I was looking for! Thanks
2015-7-12
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-12 16:03

When you download ...

Indeed. Your last update, for the P3, just listed the bug fixes as "various bug fixes" - it would be nice to know what bugs were fixed before upgrading. Why is that section not detailed?
2015-7-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules