Nothing new - but mind = blown
774 19 2021-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

I had a DJI Spark since it was first released and have absolutely loved it. I have never had a crash, although I would occasionally get a little weirdness.

I finally bought a DJI Mavic Air 2 which arrived yesterday. I am at a bit of a loss for words. The difference is unbelievable. I can't get over how good the Air 2 is. I would lfy the Spakr in FCC mode (blush) and could get about 1.3 Km reliably in the area where I live. I took the Air out to exactly the same location yesterday (in CE mode) and it sailed past without losing a single signal bar. But more than that it felt absoltuely rock solid all the way. When I flew the Spark long distance I lost about 3 pounds in bodyweight due to sweat and stress. The Air just gives so much more confidence.

I am still learning about the camera and other flight modes, but I am loving every second of it. Excelsior to you DJI. You certainly know how to build drones.

2021-1-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did the lack of the EU classification not put you off an Air 2?
2021-1-30
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

DAFlys Posted at 1-30 01:14
Did the lack of the EU classification not put you off an Air 2?
Hi
I understand that DJI would offer CE retrospective on the Mavic Air 2 for current users. But it would take official confirmation from DJI to be sure...
2021-1-30
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Enjoy your new machine! I like my MA2 as well...
2021-1-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 1-30 01:57
Hi
I understand that DJI would offer CE retrospective on the Mavic Air 2 for current users. But it would take official confirmation from DJI to be sure...

The only retrospective classification as laid out by EASA involves returning the drone to the manufacturer to be modified.  There’s no word that will be offered from DJI yet.  Which sadly drops the Air 2 into the A2 class for transition period and then A3 after that which is very restrictive.
2021-1-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your positive experience here, StarFishUK. Congrats and enjoy!
2021-1-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on upgrading to the MA2.  It truly is a beast.  Happy flying.
2021-1-30
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Before I got the Mavic Air 2 I bummed drones from other people or entities.  I finally found some one who would let me try the Mavic Air 2 and I was astounded by it's capabilities in such a a small form factor.  The first real drone I flew was the Mavic Mini and I was so impressed at the time.  Then Mavic 2 Zoom which was awesome but had too many settings for the camera configuration for my need.  The Phantom 3/4 were way to big for excursions but a pleasure to fly.  The Mavic Air 2 has similar speed, battery life, wind capabilities and signal range of Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom predecessor but in a much more compact form factor.

There are times when flying with other people that I truly appreciate the Mavic Air 2's design and size.  The Autel Evo II is a comparative alternative but seems somewhat buggy and less polished in comparison for a significantly higher price.
2021-1-30
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-30 11:04
Before I got the Mavic Air 2 I bummed drones from other people or entities.  I finally found some one who would let me try the Mavic Air 2 and I was astounded by it's capabilities in such a a small form factor.  The first real drone I flew was the Mavic Mini and I was so impressed at the time.  Then Mavic 2 Zoom which was awesome but had too many settings for the camera configuration for my need.  The Phantom 3/4 were way to big for excursions but a pleasure to fly.  The Mavic Air 2 has similar speed, battery life, wind capabilities and signal range of Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom predecessor but in a much more compact form factor.

There are times when flying with other people that I truly appreciate the Mavic Air 2's design and size.  The Autel Evo II is a comparative alternative but seems somewhat buggy and less polished in comparison for a significantly higher price.

Very well said.
2021-1-30
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126729 ft
Australia

Yes it is an amazing drone, I upgraded from the mavic mini which is still a great drone but the air 2 is pure genius. I agree ,DJI knows how to build drones .
2021-1-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 1-30 02:47
The only retrospective classification as laid out by EASA involves returning the drone to the manufacturer to be modified.  There’s no word that will be offered from DJI yet.  Which sadly drops the Air 2 into the A2 class for transition period and then A3 after that which is very restrictive.

A2 seems just fine for the next couple of years. I expect certification will be sorted out by then.
2021-2-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-1 07:10
A2 seems just fine for the next couple of years. I expect certification will be sorted out by then.

It should have been available by the EU prior to changing the rules in my opinion,  very unfair the EU to mandate a requirement thats unobtainable.
2021-2-1
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 07:27
It should have been available by the EU prior to changing the rules in my opinion,  very unfair the EU to mandate a requirement thats unobtainable.

I agree. To top it all off, them now prohibiting manufactures from retroactively marking drones seems like a real d*ck move
2021-2-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-1 13:47
I agree. To top it all off, them now prohibiting manufactures from retroactively marking drones seems like a real d*ck move

Should be interesting seeing it enforced,   the not certified Mini 2 will be able to fly over people,  but the certified version will not be able to,  Im sure the authorities will be able to tell the difference from 50 metres.
2021-2-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 2-2 00:55
Should be interesting seeing it enforced,   the not certified Mini 2 will be able to fly over people,  but the certified version will not be able to,  Im sure the authorities will be able to tell the difference from 50 metres.

Why do you say the certified Mini 2 won't be able to overfly people?
2021-2-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-2 02:34

The rule changes from <250g weight to <250g MTOM.
2021-2-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-2 02:34

Ian in London explains it in his video,  jump to about 15:40 for the Mini 2 stuff and watch till 19 mins.

2021-2-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 2-2 02:39
Ian in London explains it in his video,  jump to about 15:40 for the Mini 2 stuff and watch till 19 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4xWX0cloJk

If what he's saying is true (meaning we'll be considering the MTOM instead of the weight), than that would mean the Mini and Mini 2 won't be classified in C0 at all?...
2021-2-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-2 03:07
If what he's saying is true (meaning we'll be considering the MTOM instead of the weight), than that would mean the Mini and Mini 2 won't be classified in C0 at all?...

The EASA slides show MTOM - https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites ... -images/Tabelle.PNG
2021-2-2
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-2 03:07

If I remember there's no benefit of beeing certified for those two machines and no "penalty" after transition period (still A1). Very different from MA2...
2021-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules