OSMO Pocket 2 Grainy Video. Excessive Noise
12Next >
15002 44 2021-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

My Osmo Pocket 2 has, I would say, not been recording with a better video quality after its recent update than it was when I first bought it. The images are very soft. And videos are grainy. Too much noise in them.

I know its night time performance isn't supposed to be compared with professional cameras but the grain is too much. Something seems odd.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone else also noticed this?

2021-2-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Saransh Bakshi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Can you please try to post a short sample video showing the said issue for us to see and assist you further and may we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? Thank you.
2021-2-1
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

yes, Here it is. The video was shot with the Pro mode off and in 4K 60FPS.
My phone model is a Redmi Note 9 Pro. The video was directly copied from the OSMO Pocket 2 to my HDD and uploaded. The phone was not involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBzY8rgSsg

2021-2-3
Use props
TobiFromGermany
lvl.3
Flight distance : 45423 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Saransh Bakshi Posted at 2-3 02:12
My phone model is a Redmi Note 9 Pro. The video was directly copied from the OSMO Pocket 2 to my HDD and uploaded. The phone was not involved.

Hi Saransh Bakshi,
I really can‘t see exzessive noise. You are in an extreme lowlight situation. I find your clip  more than good enough. You can‘t expect a better result in darkness.
Perhaps with a fullframe sensor ;-)
2021-2-3
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

Thank you for your reply. Well, then I must have expected too much from this little camera.
2021-2-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A "black cat in a coal cellar" indeed!  
2021-2-3
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Although your scene is pretty dark !  I do find the image even in good light has noise.  You may notice some that some people do use a 'de-noise' plugin in their edit process to good results.
2021-2-6
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use 30 or 24 frame rate. Never use any iso over 1600.
2021-2-6
Use props
lvl.1

United States

Just a heads up - I noticed this on my Pocket 2. I did a video test between my Osmo Pocket and Pocket 2 - and the video quality in low light and ALL situations is WAY better on the original Osmo Pocket comparatively to the Pocket 2. I'm not sure what they did to the Pocket 2 - but the video is garbage on it.
2021-3-6
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063596 ft
Australia

I noticed the same when filming in 4K/60fps in broad daylight.. This was my first time filming in 4K. Usually I would film in 2.7K and no noticeable nose. Will revert back to 2.7K or change frame rate.
2021-3-7
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

I have noticed a considerable depreciation along with the updates. Every update seems to add a new feature but depreciates the quality of the camera.  
2021-3-7
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

Blellow Posted at 2-6 07:50
Use 30 or 24 frame rate. Never use any iso over 1600.

wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of the camera mainly? since it was specifically marketed as 4K/ 60FPS?
2021-3-7
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

Saransh Bakshi Posted at 3-7 18:28
wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of the camera mainly? since it was specifically marketed as 4K/ 60FPS?

Yes, but the only way to decrease in a tricky way the noise (but also increase the light in some scenes) is to decrease the framerate. This allows the camera to increase the shutter speed to get more light from every single frame. Unless high framerate is needed for some actions, i recommend you to use 30fps in dark scenes.

Despite this, we all expected better quality for this camera. Compared to the first version it has a larger and newer sensor, but the quality and noise is worse.
The problem is shown in every online review.
Chances are 2, either the sensor is of low quality, or the firmware was poorly written. Probably both.
2021-3-8
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063596 ft
United States

chririva Posted at 3-8 10:10
Yes, but the only way to decrease in a tricky way the noise (but also increase the light in some scenes) is to decrease the framerate. This allows the camera to increase the shutter speed to get more light from every single frame. Unless high framerate is needed for some actions, i recommend you to use 30fps in dark scenes.

Despite this, we all expected better quality for this camera. Compared to the first version it has a larger and newer sensor, but the quality and noise is worse.

True! I had just noticed and I may have overlooked the settings. When filming @ 60fps, P2 only allows you to film in Battery Saver mode, which means video quality isn't great. Switching to 30fps allows High-Quality shooting. I will need to try this when the sun is a lot brighter replicating the condition I reported previously.
2021-3-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Many users feel that battery saver mode is best unless light is poor - the HQ setting has more aggressive noise reduction with resulting loss of detail.
2021-3-11
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The conditions are very very lowlight so you will get noise.  Also don't shoot high frame rates in low light this is rule #1 for video filming in low light conditions.  Higher frame rates  demand higher shutter speeds which reduces light to the sensor.  In such situations the camera has to compensate buy increasing ISO (because the aperture is already wide open and fixed) and this is where you noise comes from unless you have a large sensor format camera like a DSLR.

Keep your FPS to 24/25/30 in those types of conditions to give your elf the best chance of minimising noise.
2021-3-12
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

Hello Everyone,

This is an update regarding my concern about the quality of the Osmo Pocket 2. I have recorded a new video in a bright environment and the result is posted below.
I would like to draw your attention to the bottom left and right on the rocks and focus on the quality as compared to the rocks in the center of the frame.

Video is shot in Auto mode in 4K/60FPS. Unedited, directly uploaded to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFlr4YrKYQg
2021-3-18
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks ok to me.  You seem to have a focussing issue with the camera being affected by the moving waves.  I would have used manual focus for this shot.
2021-3-18
Use props
Itarrow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14728 ft
Italy

Saransh Bakshi Posted at 3-18 01:29
Hello Everyone,

This is an update regarding my concern about the quality of the Osmo Pocket 2. I have recorded a new video in a bright environment and the result is posted below.

I see the graininess as well, and it is video noise. At the moment I always use High Quality, lower frame rates 4K 24 and no battery saver. This works well especially in still frames, as movement introduces blurriness..

Hope future firmwares will improve the situation, especially in battery saving mode.
2021-3-20
Use props
MH91
lvl.1

India

Please help me guys. I am very disappointed with 4k video quality.  Too much grains and poor quality. Looks like360p . I tired all setting 4k60, 24p, 1080p,2.7k ,iso down,shutter speed double its frame rate. But quality is very degrade. I feel like i have wasted my money to get influenced by dji op2 youtube video. They all r fake n paid reviews. Please suggst to resolve issue or can i return this camera? I am from india and bought it last month.please help me
pano_180_6553876_1616335726000.jpg
2021-3-23
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

MH91 Posted at 3-23 13:06
Please help me guys. I am very disappointed with 4k video quality.  Too much grains and poor quality. Looks like360p . I tired all setting 4k60, 24p, 1080p,2.7k ,iso down,shutter speed double its frame rate. But quality is very degrade. I feel like i have wasted my money to get influenced by dji op2 youtube video. They all r fake n paid reviews. Please suggst to resolve issue or can i return this camera? I am from india and bought it last month.please help me

1. Panorama is not shot in 4K so not sure what you intend to show by posting that image.
2. Your image is badly over exposed, a night scene needs to be exposed for highlights then you will not have much problem of excess noise you are seeing in this shot.
3. 4K 60fps in low light will surely struggle, stick to 4K 25fps to get better video & correctly expose in manual mode. Auto mode in night is causing most of your problem.
2021-3-23
Use props
djiuser_AfcaTX5emReN
New

Slovenia

dissapointed as well with image quality. I have DJI AIR 2S and very satisfied by the image, but pocket 2, like it was from another company and not DJI!!
2021-7-21
Use props
Nathan Acre
lvl.3
Israel

we have no choice, waiting for pocket <3
2021-7-22
Use props
mikevman
lvl.2
United States

I also shoot night and low light stuff the most, your frame rate is much to high for low light scenes, 24-30 fps. at most, if i shoot at more then 800 iso i always use a de noise program, even my bmpcc 4k cinema camera gets noise at more then 800 iso., i have had no problem with low light video, but this little camera can only do so much, just try to keep it at 800 iso. or less and shoot 4K only if you need to, a lot of the big movies are shoot with Arri cameras and some in less then 3K.
2021-7-22
Use props
djiuser_OYjREBZGvzjW
lvl.1

Czechia

Hello. My Pocket is very poor quality even on a nice, sunny day. I shoot at 4k / 30 and the video quality when moving is terrible (noise, light flicker or pixel decay when moving). I use the recommended memory card (Samsung 64 Evo Plus). I shot the videos in auto mode. The forum will not allow me to post sample videos or a link. I would like to send the link to a private message.

Thanks for the feedback
2021-8-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Try using battery saver mode.
2021-8-16
Use props
anhilator
lvl.1

Czechia

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-16 15:25
Try using battery saver mode.

There is also a problem with this setting. The problem only disappears at higher frame rates.

Samples (noise, light flicker or pixel decay when moving) here:

https://www26.zippyshare.com/v/wy06LWxy/file.html

https://www26.zippyshare.com/v/OpeY4jBg/file.html

2021-8-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I have a question:

Did you use the Redmi Note 9 Pro to activate the Pocket 2, or can you control the camera with it (either wirelessly or physically connected)?

Just asking to gather information for my phone compatibility thread.
2021-8-17
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

HGDC84 Posted at 8-17 11:06
Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I have a question:

Did you use the Redmi Note 9 Pro to activate the Pocket 2, or can you control the camera with it (either wirelessly or physically connected)?

Yes, you can control the camera movements with it. And yes it is also compatible with Redmi Note 9 Pro.  Just think of your phone as an extension of your camera. Your screen changes, granting you more controls.

Unfortunately, I bought the standalone package and not the creator's combo so I dont have the wireless module that comes with it so I cannot answer for the wireless controls through the phone. Although on youtube you'd find many videos where the camera is being controlled wirelessly through a phone so there you go.
2021-8-17
Use props
Saransh Bakshi
lvl.1

India

Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for your replies. Going through each and every one of them I have found the following observations: -

1. Shoot in 24 - 30 FPS max.
2. Use Battery Saver Mode.
3. If in Manual Mode, the ISO should not be more than 800.
2021-8-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Saransh Bakshi Posted at 8-17 21:15
Yes, you can control the camera movements with it. And yes it is also compatible with Redmi Note 9 Pro.  Just think of your phone as an extension of your camera. Your screen changes, granting you more controls.

Unfortunately, I bought the standalone package and not the creator's combo so I dont have the wireless module that comes with it so I cannot answer for the wireless controls through the phone. Although on youtube you'd find many videos where the camera is being controlled wirelessly through a phone so there you go.

Thank you for your reply and information, knowing this information cetainly benefits my list. :-)

Also, one little addition to your observation list below:

Most of the time, I've seen people recommend using the Battery Saver mode on most filming conditions. However, many have said that when shooting in low light, the High Quality mode might help reduce some noise caused by the lack of light when compared to Battery Saver mode. But of course, depending on the situation, your results may vary.

Anyway, hope the advice here has helped you get better footage out of your Pocket 2. And once again, thank for taking time to reply my request about the Redmi's compatibility with the Pocket 2. :-)
2021-8-18
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

I wonder what DJI says about it except asking us to upload sample video.
2021-9-10
Use props
djiuser_9706hnPTMTod
New
United Kingdom

Hi, did you finally come to a conclusion on this?

I have a OP2 and been shooting night videos are the worst REALLY BAD GRAINY NOISE - How can I fix the current Videos in Adobe Prem Pro?

And to avoid the next shooting in OP2 at night?
2021-11-7
Use props
Karpath
New
Germany

I recently purchased a Pocket 2 and did some first recordings and I was instantly shocked by the amount of video grain/noise even at ISO100 at bright daylight. If I look at the blue sky I see nothing but noise the interesting thing is, now that I focus on it and compare youtube videos of others, shot at bright daylight with the pocket 1 and pocket 2, I see much more noise on the pocket 2. I must say that I'm pretty disappointed, together with the exposure flickering issue I'm really thinking about returning the pocket 2.
2021-12-20
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Karpath Posted at 12-20 05:13
I recently purchased a Pocket 2 and did some first recordings and I was instantly shocked by the amount of video grain/noise even at ISO100 at bright daylight. If I look at the blue sky I see nothing but noise  the interesting thing is, now that I focus on it and compare youtube videos of others, shot at bright daylight with the pocket 1 and pocket 2, I see much more noise on the pocket 2. I must say that I'm pretty disappointed, together with the exposure flickering issue I'm really thinking about returning the pocket 2. [view_image]

That's what I keep saying.
Since I have both P1 and P2, I can confirm that Pocket 2 produces more image noise than Osmo Pocket.
This is obvious in the sky and in the shadow areas.
2021-12-20
Use props
Karpath
New
Germany

I'm currently playing around with the Neat Video plugin demo and I must say that it does a damn good job with fixing the noise issue. I'm waiting for a sale and then get the plugin. So far it looks like shooting in high quality mode to apply the integrated denoising of the Pocket 2, and then fixing the remaining noise with Neat Video is a good way for me to get along with the Pocket 2. It's still a shame that you need some additional software (and pay extra money) to fix that huge amount of noise that occurs even in bright daylight with lowest ISO. But maybe we just have to accept that there has to be some kind of sacrifice for such a small form factor like the Pocket 2 has. Still, it's weird that the Pocket 1 seems to have fewer issues with noise and also with codec artefacts like frame flicker. Maybe the Pocket 3 will use another new sensor that will get us better results.
2021-12-22
Use props
djiuser_c2uqPo3cq9Lo
New
Flight distance : 17238 ft
Ireland

I’m another customer that upgraded from OsmoPocket to Pocket 2 and think the video quality on the new version is close to useless. It’s never going to be great in low light but even on a well-lit day any object not in the full glare of sunlight has tons of grain, far worse than, say, my iPhone 11, and certainly not an improvement in OsmoPocket 1. I don’t know if the problem is just the sensor: I think the firmware must be lousy too. Not only do I warn friends to AVOID Pocket 2, but it’s the last of this line of gadgets I’ll purchase from DJI — the focusing is jumpy and unreliable, the face-tracking is much worse than on the OsmoPocket 1 (actually useless, and still no firmware fix in sight), and it’s just too expensive, even without all the dangling extras. DJI have done some great innovating recently in the camera sphere; but sadly they don’t care about their Osmo/Pocket customers.

2022-3-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

These texts are shocking to read. Please take some lessons or courses how Gain, Iris, Sensors and sensor size, Shutter Speed, Video Frames etc. actually works.

Here are so many texts that shows directly that there are no understanding at all how the exposure of an image or video frame actually works.
2022-3-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Aavalaakso Posted at 3-26 00:43
These texts are shocking to read. Please take some lessons or courses how Gain, Iris, Sensors and sensor size, Shutter Speed, Video Frames etc. actually works.

Here are so many texts that shows directly that there are no understanding at all how the exposure of an image or video frame actually works.

I'll have to admit I'm one of those who really don't have that much knowledge of eliminating visual noise and grain on video. The last time I shot a video, it turned out to be quite noisy. I'll have to say my shooting conditions were quite challenging though, had to shoot against the sunlight, was in a dark pentice myself and had to use a ND64 filter to get somewhat acceptable exposure. Anyway, I'd like to learn more.

You have any tips where could be a good place to start?
2022-3-26
Use props
djiuser_J6USRlbloC51
New

France

DJI Pocket 2 has very grain and noise even in day light with ISO 100 and High Quality mode
2023-1-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules