Brand New DJi Mini 2 - sticky propeller - failed takeoff
8298 19 2021-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seb101
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Excited but slightly disappointed today, I got my brand new Mini 2 a few hours ago.  I went through all the setup steps, charged all the batteries, updated the app and the firmwares etc.  On physical inspection before the first flight, one of the motors (front left) was very stiff and notchy.  I was able to move it but I'd say it requires 3 times more force than the others to move it.

I went ahead and tried first flight and the drone failed to take off - the three other props span but the front left prop did not, then the app gave an error something like "Propeller speed error" or "propeller failed to start" or something like that, I didn't have chance to screenshot it.  

So I checked the motor again and gave it a lot of manual spinning and it did free up slightly.  Tried to fly again and this time it did take off successfully!  Great.

However, after landing and trying to take off again - the same error occured, and the front left prop failed to spin.  Once again, I was able to get it working by manually twisting it until it freed up a little.

What shoud I do?  Is this normal for new DJi drones and will it get better as the motor 'wears in'?  Or should I reject this straight away as faulty and claim a replacement off the retailer?

Thanks!
2021-2-3
Use props
seb101
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I've continued to investigate this specific motor.  The strange thing is, once you give it a few twists, it frees up and spins freely just like the other motors, but, you only have to leave it still for 10 mins or so and it seizes up solid again and requires quite a bit of force to get it moving freely.

I can't think what would be causing this?  Is it a lubrication issue?  Or do we think just a faulty motor?
2021-2-3
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

seb101 Posted at 2-3 08:00
So I've continued to investigate this specific motor.  The strange thing is, once you give it a few twists, it frees up and spins freely just like the other motors, but, you only have to leave it still for 10 mins or so and it seizes up solid again and requires quite a bit of force to get it moving freely.

I can't think what would be causing this?  Is it a lubrication issue?  Or do we think just a faulty motor?

I would send it back for a replacement. The motors don't need lubrication and you might not want to loose you drone in midair because of an obvious faulty motor.
2021-2-3
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

So I've continued to investigate this specific motor.  The strange thing is, once you give it a few twists, it frees up and spins freely just like the other motors, but, you only have to leave it still for 10 mins or so and it seizes up solid again and requires quite a bit of force to get it moving freely.

Interesting.

I noticed on first inspection my front left was stiffer. But it all works.

Notchy is expected. Rotors and stators it's how a brushless motor works.

It getting stuck is probably a naff bearing that is ceased.
2021-2-3
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Brand new, I'd return it (if possible).  
2021-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Return it for replacement,   no pointing taking risks of it failing in flight.
2021-2-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the issue. Please check if there is debris stuck inside the motor, if there is nothing inside the motor, I would not suggest continuing flying the drone.
Please try to contact the retailer to help for replacement, if they would not help, you may contact our support via email at http://www.dji.com/support to start a case. Thank you.
2021-2-3
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I hope you returned this ASAP
2021-2-12
Use props
djiuser_8mw8FGT3yU1m
New

Malaysia

So I've continued to investigate this specific motor.  The strange thing is, once you give it a few twists, it frees up and spins freely just like the other motors, but, you only have to leave it still for 10 mins or so and it seizes up solid again and requires quite a bit of force to get it moving freely.

Hey, I'm also having the same issue, should I just contact the retailer and ask for a replacement?
The drone is 2 months old by the way.
2021-11-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After 2 months, how many flights?
Its more than likely got some dust in the motor and not the retailer's fault in your case, I would, however, contact DJI service and get it to them for inspection, if its under warranty they will sort it, if its not covered then it will not cost a lot to change out a motor and well worth the peace of mind...
2021-11-15
Use props
Gunkura
New

Malaysia

Atleast 100 flights
2021-11-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunkura Posted at 11-16 06:40
Atleast 100 flights

Yeh, deffo got some foreign bodies in there, i suggest sending it in...
2021-11-16
Use props
Gunkura
New

Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 11-16 07:42
Yeh, deffo got some foreign bodies in there, i suggest sending it in...

Did it and they told me that the entire right arm is faulty and they fixed it
2021-11-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunkura Posted at 11-25 02:21
Did it and they told me that the entire right arm is faulty and they fixed it

Great result
2021-11-25
Use props
bosydeny
New

Australia

I got my brand new Mini SE today, same issue as your, and I went to retail shop. They exchanged a replacement for me. But the new one got same issue again. I don't know whether that is an common issue for every or just me, If its just me, what a coincident. I also doubt that whether DJI test their product before hand it over to customers. Why does a new drone suffer this issue?
2021-12-14
Use props
JCDM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102156 ft
Bolivia

Same problem, just unscrew the blades and put them back. It looks like they were too tight I'm not sure. I have rechecked and the problem did not appear again
2021-12-14
Use props
Keithawex
New

Sweden

Got exactly the same issue but it randomize the once that start. Giving the fail motor a spin with my fingers and it works. But recently that didnt work anymore so i send it in. Prob 6 months of waiting due to covid
2022-2-1
Use props
mike_o
lvl.1

United States

Problem ongoing.

I have the same issue, or more precisely, it's the motor bell (onto which the props are screwed) that's sticky. The drone is 3 months and 10 flights old, and the issue has been there from day 1. It's gotten worse during the winter (cold days). I'm very familiar with brushless motors, and I'm 99% sure that nothing has gotten into it. I know the feeling and sound of sand or dirt between the stator and the magnets, and this is NOT it. I've also inspected it very closely for dirt/hair what have you, but it's been like that from day 1. Same motor every time.

I feels like thick syrup in the motor, and you can massage enough life into it to get it running, but it's clearly a production quality issue. I'm retuning the drone next week.
2023-2-4
Use props
mike_o
lvl.1

Denmark

mike_o Posted at 2-4 08:40
Problem ongoing.

I have the same issue, or more precisely, it's the motor bell (onto which the props are screwed) that's sticky. The drone is 3 months and 10 flights old, and the issue has been there from day 1. It's gotten worse during the winter (cold days). I'm very familiar with brushless motors, and I'm 99% sure that nothing has gotten into it. I know the feeling and sound of sand or dirt between the stator and the magnets, and this is NOT it. I've also inspected it very closely for dirt/hair what have you, but it's been like that from day 1. Same motor every time.

Just an update: I handed in the drone 4 weeks ago, and the outlet (Elgiganten, DK) took their time with it, but have just swapped the drone (ex controller, battery, cables) for a new one.

No not hesitate to hand in your DJI Mini 2 if you experience any kind of stickyness in any of the motors / props !
2023-3-7
Use props
DJI_Cruiser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2619370 ft
  • >>>
United States

Reviving old thread.
I don't think this issue is based off of usage at all.
I have maybe flown my Mini 2 ten times since I bought it 2+ years ago.
Took it out today to test it as I will be selling it and the Front Right motor is sticky.
If you massage it it will take off.  If you land it may or may not take off.
Something else is going on.  I cleaned it as best as I could and it's no better, just stiff as hell. I did not a light brownish color on the motor.
It's no longer under warranty so I pulled it from CraigsList and will be sending it in for DJI to repair before I resale it.
2023-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules