Noise issues while skiing
1167 8 2021-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aarvag
lvl.4
Norway

Hi fellow Osmo Action users!

I am excperiencing some noise issues with my Osmo Action. I primariy use my camera for skiing, mounted on a helmet. I am very pleased wit the cameras perfomance regarding image quality, but the sound is nothing but terrible.

I use my Action to post short videos on social media (therefore the vertical orientation), but i always have to camouflage the video with music of some sort, cause the sound quality is rather painful to listen to.

The noise I am referring to is the constant high pitched whistling, as well as some sort of hollow echo from time to time (audible at around 0:26 in the video). I understand that the speed will be a factor, but I am not going that fast. I have seen cameras mounted on cars and motorcycles with much less noise trouble.

The camera is mounted on a helmet and used in perfect winter conditions, no wind at all. Wind noise reduction is switched on, and I have even tried covering the microphones with different sort of home made windfilters without that helping at all.

Any tips on how to get rid of this painful high pitched whistle noise?

2021-2-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Got the same problem, but think my home made deadcat I used last summer did help a lot.
2021-2-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Camera is fine, so is the sound, Cynova and mic or deadcat
2021-2-4
Use props
aarvag
lvl.4
Norway

johansenfoto Posted at 2-4 00:57
Got the same problem, but think my home made deadcat I used last summer did help a lot.

Thanks for your reply! I might have to test that a bit more then. What did you make the deadcat from? Still able to fit the camera in the original case?
2021-2-4
Use props
aarvag
lvl.4
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 2-4 07:21
Camera is fine, so is the sound, Cynova and mic or deadcat

Thank you for replying! I know other cameras handle this type of environment way better than the Osmo Action, so I am kind of disappointed with it. A setup with an external microphone seems to be quite a pain when mounted on a helmet... Probably have to test some wind filters.
2021-2-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

aarvag Posted at 2-4 07:55
Thanks for your reply! I might have to test that a bit more then. What did you make the deadcat from? Still able to fit the camera in the original case?

Q-tips and made a small portion to cover each hole for mic. Temporary solution that I still use
2021-2-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

top mic we know is already covered by the Frame, so simply put tape on the side where the front screen is not the lens side  and see what that does for you
2021-2-4
Use props
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The horrible whistling noise I found comes from air swirling around the top mic.
Micro windjammers on both mics & a foam case have helped immensely
2021-2-5
Use props
aarvag
lvl.4
Norway

BoozaWooza Posted at 2-5 14:24
The horrible whistling noise I found comes from air swirling around the top mic.
Micro windjammers on both mics & a foam case have helped immensely

Thanks for your reply! I guess you have to use an different case than the original one then?
2021-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules