DJI Pocket 2 Activation Requirements (Really??)
8362 19 2021-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fondfoat
lvl.1

United States

I was shown a DJ Pocket 2. It looked great. I went home and looked at the page on Dji.com. Nothing about needing a specific phone to activate a CAMERA on the front page. The camera arrives today. Great. Not so great. So, apparently I need to activate it. Next thing I find out is that I can't connect it to a PC to activate it. Huh?? Why not? I am going to use a microSD card and store eveything on my computer for editing and such. Nope. I need a phone. i hate using my phone for any of these kind of things. Phones weren't designed for this. Anyway, I get my Samsung out and...yay...no connector for it.

What is wrong with this company?
1. Forced to activate a CAMERA to use it.
2. Can't activate it using a PC which contains everything you need for video work.
3. Only certain phones can be used.

I am finding it hard to stay civil here after paying quite a bit of money for this product.

I hope I have misundertsood something, and it will turn out I look like a fool, and someone will tell me it is an easy thing to fix.

Thanks for reading my rant ;)

2021-2-5
Use props
fondfoat
lvl.1

United States

Honestly, this product can't be activated by connecting to your computer?? There is no DJ Mimo for Windows???
2021-2-5
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry, but I think you've pretty well summed it up correctly.  The Original Pocket came with both types of USB connectors but I noticed there was only one in the Pocket 2 Pack.  Fortunately for me, I do have one of the recommended phones.  I think you would need an adapter lead and connect to the base of the Pocket 2 with your phone.  A more knowledgeable member will know.

I don't understand DJIs thinking of carrying out activations and upgrades only via mobiles.  I would much prefer to download to my PC and use that.

On the plus side, The Pocket 2 is an amazing camera and I think once you've got this current hassle sorted you will be well pleased with it.  There are still some firmware upgrades to come as there was with Pocket 1 but it's worth the wait.
2021-2-5
Use props
fondfoat
lvl.1

United States

John Walker Posted at 2-5 08:43
Sorry, but I think you've pretty well summed it up correctly.  The Original Pocket came with both types of USB connectors but I noticed there was only one in the Pocket 2 Pack.  Fortunately for me, I do have one of the recommended phones.  I think you would need an adapter lead and connect to the base of the Pocket 2 with your phone.  A more knowledgeable member will know.

I don't understand DJIs thinking of carrying out activations and upgrades only via mobiles.  I would much prefer to download to my PC and use that.

Thanks. I guess I just need a USB-C to Micro USB. I will try to get one tomorrow.
2021-2-5
Use props
TobiFromGermany
lvl.3
Flight distance : 45423 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fondfoat Posted at 2-5 08:50
Thanks. I guess I just need a USB-C to Micro USB. I will try to get one tomorrow.

Yes, unfortunately. It's actually a penny item. But of course you get annoyed if the thing isn't included.
But I can promise you won't regret buying it and buying the Pocket 2. The device is great. I'm excited. I already had the Osmo Pocket and the Pocket 2 goes one better.
2021-2-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I fully understand your frustrations. I just wrote a topic on basically the same thing (though yours was a bit more through, concerning the idea of using a PC instead of phone for activating the camera - if removing the activation altogether is not an option for some strange reason, then that would definitely be the next best option). You can read my thread here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-235190-1-1.html

My suggestions would be making it clear to DJI that you are frustrated about this. Also trying the adapter could prove essential - my previous employer's phone worked perfectly with the Pocket 2 after trying the adapter.

However, even having a USB-C on your phone does not guarantee it working with Pocket 2 - a very confusing and misleading problem indeed!

On my topic, I have suggested gathering lists for the phones that do or do not work with Pocket 2. Hope it helps people to find out if Pocket 2 works for them before they buy it only to find out it won't.
2021-2-5
Use props
fansffabcd42
lvl.1

United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-5 17:07
I fully understand your frustrations. I just wrote a topic on basically the same thing (though yours was a bit more through, concerning the idea of using a PC instead of phone for activating the camera - if removing the activation altogether is not an option for some strange reason, then that would definitely be the next best option). You can read my thread here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-235190-1-1.html

My suggestions would be making it clear to DJI that you are frustrated about this. Also trying the adapter could prove essential - my previous employer's phone worked perfectly with the Pocket 2 after trying the adapter.

I will let them know. I live in a small town in a southeast Asian country so I often have to rely on mail order for things (even things like adapters), so when something like this happens it triples the frustration of  what for others may be a minor issue.
2021-2-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

My memory was that micro USB has never worked with either model.  And it's been the subject of several discussions here - but of course if you didn't anticipate the problem you wouldn't come here to read up about it.  However, I don't think DJI are alone in not supporting older phones - my wife's one often won't run apps for stuff (eg home automation light controls) and I have to configure them on mine instead.
2021-2-5
Use props
fansffabcd42
lvl.1

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-5 22:31
My memory was that micro USB has never worked with either model.  And it's been the subject of several discussions here - but of course if you didn't anticipate the problem you wouldn't come here to read up about it.  However, I don't think DJI are alone in not supporting older phones - my wife's one often won't run apps for stuff (eg home automation light controls) and I have to configure them on mine instead.

My wife as a Huawei y9 2019, so we will try that. My Samsung is 1 year old. These are not old phones (well. not according to my definition of old). I'm sorry there is no way to defend what is happening here. Forced activation (on a camera), no way to activate by PC, and make the compatability limited. Great job!
2021-2-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-5 22:31

I personally have managed to make it work with Huawei P Smart 2019 and Pocket 2 using a Micro USB adapter, and also have read others have managed to do that with some other models. There are even YouTube videos concerning the issue. So *some* Micro USB devices do work, and yet on the other hand there are some USB-C devices that don't. So the connector type may not tell everything about the compatibility.
2021-2-6
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

The fact that you have to connect it to the phone for activations and updates is ridicolous, but what can we do?
I hate to connect it to the phone, the connection is not stable at all. it's unplugging, moving, and it's loosing the connection. You have to hold it with hands, you cannot leave it on the desk.
UNLESS YOU PAY FOR THE ACCESSORY
2021-2-6
Use props
fansffabcd42
lvl.1

United States

chririva Posted at 2-6 04:20
The fact that you have to connect it to the phone for activations and updates is ridicolous, but what can we do?
I hate to connect it to the phone, the connection is not stable at all. it's unplugging, moving, and it's loosing the connection. You have to hold it with hands, you cannot leave it on the desk.
UNLESS YOU PAY FOR THE ACCESSORY

Drove 20 km to the nearest shopping centre and picked up an adaptor for usb-a to usb-c. My Samsung A1 didn't seem to pick it up, though I just tried once because my wife's Huawei y9 2019 did work. However, even though we got it to activate and update, the phone didn't seem to want to show the camera view. Anyway, never have to worry about the phone again now thankfully. Micro SDs and PC for me
2021-2-7
Use props
Basic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8196 ft
United Kingdom

It's actually worse than that... If you have an Android phone, MIMO is no longer listed in the Play Store, you have to go and download a custom APK from DJI directly.

The privacy policy gives them the right to share your location data and there are multiple posts online showing eh MIMO app phoning home phone IDs and other personal data (even worse if you sign in using facebook).

Having forked out rather a lot for what I expected to be a camera, not a personal tracking device, I'm absolutely seething
Edit: Apologies, only just noticed how old this thread was.
2022-4-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Basic Posted at 4-17 12:43
It's actually worse than that... If you have an Android phone, MIMO is no longer listed in the Play Store, you have to go and download a custom APK from DJI directly.

The privacy policy gives them the right to share your location data and there are multiple posts online showing eh MIMO app phoning home phone IDs and other personal data (even worse if you sign in using facebook).

No need to apologize on my behalf about this, it still applies.

This is, for me, personally easily the worst aspect of the Pocket 2. And I see why it frustrates people and makes them suspicious.
2022-4-20
Use props
Pyro99
lvl.1

Italy

WTF this camera is not compatible with my phone for activation I can't just use it! Even my microSD cards aren't even recognized! DJI wtf is this company?!
2023-5-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Pyro99 Posted at 5-27 12:25
WTF this camera is not compatible with my phone for activation I can't just use it! Even my microSD cards aren't even recognized! DJI wtf is this company?!

Hi, Pyro99. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you confirm what mobile device and SD card model you're using? Also, what specific error messages are you getting? You may check this link to see the compatible mobile devices, and here is the list of the recommended SD cards:

Please keep us posted.
2023-5-28
Use props
Pyro99
lvl.1

France

I also tried with a 1GB Sony M2 microSD card.

DJI Tony Posted at 5-28 04:47
Hi, Pyro99. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you confirm what mobile device and SD card model you're using? Also, what specific error messages are you getting? You may check this link to see the compatible mobile devices, and here is the list of the recommended SD cards:
[view_image]
Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the answer. I tried with a 1gb Kingston microSD and the pocket 2 indicates the card is too slow.
2023-5-31
Use props
djiuser_CTYmlV7PPTet
New

South Africa

The OSMO POCKET 2 keep giving me "Device not activated. Connect to the mimo app" error. Device do not want to connect.

Please Please help
2023-5-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Pyro99 Posted at 5-31 11:38
Thanks for the answer. I tried with a 1gb Kingston microSD and the pocket 2 indicates the card is too slow.

We understand. We're sorry, but such model has not been tested, therefore, we cannot guarantee how it will perform. If possible, please try using one of the recommended SD cards. As for the activation issue, what error are you getting and what phone are you using?
2023-6-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_CTYmlV7PPTet Posted at 5-31 12:58
The OSMO POCKET 2 keep giving me "Device not activated. Connect to the mimo app" error. Device do not want to connect.

Please Please help

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry you're experiencing such issues. What mobile phone are you using to activate your DJI Pocket 2? And when you try to connect it, what error are you getting? If possible, please post a short recording showing the operation for further checking.
2023-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules