First Shot with my Mavic Air 2 - Frozen Waterfall
845 22 2021-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Had a fun time with this drone, it's much easier to pack on my back than my Phantom 4 with 3 batteries, especially up a 1500' elevation gain in the mountains, on solid ice trails.

Here is Waterfall Canyon, Ogden Utah.

2021-2-5
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Most of you probably auto land on the ground, where I will try to catch by hand any time that I can. My launches and landings are usually on mountainous terrain, rarely a parking lot.  

So when I catch by hand, the sensors go crazy making it difficult. I'm holding down the throttle and once I catch it, I've gotta hold on tight so it won't fly back up again. There must be a smoother way to catch by hand, I'm sure I'll figure it out but feel free to drop your suggestions.

Also for this kind of shot, I will be learning how to disable the 120m or 400' altitude limit, as I'm often flying up hills. I'll give it a try today.
2021-2-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can turn the sensors off prior to hand catching. That's what I do if the environment permits such.
2021-2-5
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Netherlands

Great shot !!  I think you should do the same shot in summer again
2021-2-5
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

JodyB Posted at 2-5 12:47
You can turn the sensors off prior to hand catching. That's what I do if the environment permits such.

Thanks for the suggestion
2021-2-5
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

justin_mcvideo, WOW, how many people can say they stood on a waterfall.  Nice photo, thanks for sharing.
2021-2-5
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2-5 12:39
Most of you probably auto land on the ground, where I will try to catch by hand any time that I can. My launches and landings are usually on mountainous terrain, rarely a parking lot.  

So when I catch by hand, the sensors go crazy making it difficult. I'm holding down the throttle and once I catch it, I've gotta hold on tight so it won't fly back up again. There must be a smoother way to catch by hand, I'm sure I'll figure it out but feel free to drop your suggestions.

I always hand launch and land and I have never had the aircraft fight me once caught. I think the secret is to not move the aircraft once caught until the motors turn off. I have never tried moving it once in my grasp, but I would assume it would fight you to maintain position.
2021-2-5
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Most of you probably auto land on the ground, where I will try to catch by hand any time that I can. My launches and landings are usually on mountainous terrain, rarely a parking lot.  

So when I catch by hand, the sensors go crazy making it difficult. I'm holding down the throttle and once I catch it, I've gotta hold on tight so it won't fly back up again. There must be a smoother way to catch by hand, I'm sure I'll figure it out but feel free to drop your suggestions.

Put the drone above your hand, point the camera down so you can see that the hand is exactly under drone.
Push the stick Down and keep it in order to start landing auto procedure.
The drone will land perfectly in your still hand...wait until rotor stops. And...that is it.

This is what i always do, no injuries ever, no forced rotor stops (never use Grab and flip or you will get IMU errors after short time)....
Will keep the drone off from dirt and sand.
2021-2-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2021-2-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, spectacular footage.  
2021-2-6
Use props
rooller71
Second Officer
Flight distance : 750935 ft
Hungary

Most of you probably auto land on the ground, where I will try to catch by hand any time that I can. My launches and landings are usually on mountainous terrain, rarely a parking lot.  

So when I catch by hand, the sensors go crazy making it difficult. I'm holding down the throttle and once I catch it, I've gotta hold on tight so it won't fly back up again. There must be a smoother way to catch by hand, I'm sure I'll figure it out but feel free to drop your suggestions.

I turn the machine 90 degrees and call it that! His side is facing me.It works great!
2021-2-6
Use props
rooller71
Second Officer
Flight distance : 750935 ft
Hungary

Super shot!
2021-2-6
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Nice shot!  You can switch to Sport Mode on the Controller to quickly hand catch without sensors. When catching with sensors on, I walk behind it, put my open hand underneath, hold left stick down until it gets close to my hand so i can grab it and wait for the motors to stop.  Hope you find a smoother method.     Happy flying!
2021-2-6
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Thanks everybody, I might as well add these shots from the same location and time

2021-2-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there justin_mcvideo. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing videos you have filmed. Great work and keep on flying. .
2021-2-7
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Nice shots!
2021-2-7
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool shot...pardon the pun.
2021-2-8
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KDP + Posted at 2-5 12:53

Oh, yes agreed.  That would be awesome.
2021-2-8
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

KDP + Posted at 2-5 12:53

Thanks, I've got a few summer shots of this waterfall, although not exactly the same angle, this time with ziplines.

2021-2-8
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

On another note, it looks like ABC has shared one of these videos, and Good Morning America aired it on TV this morning.

https://fb.watch/3xosUVCaYQ/
2021-2-8
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2-6 22:22
Thanks everybody, I might as well add these shots from the same location and time

https://youtu.be/xr8gVO2saWA

More good stuff.
2021-2-8
Use props
TomBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 913891 ft
United Kingdom

That is very cool looking photography. Well Done
2021-5-8
Use props
SuperWinnieperruna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2-8 13:05
Thanks, I've got a few summer shots of this waterfall, although not exactly the same angle, this time with ziplines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-dgDykN6sk

Funny afternoon eh ?
2021-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules