DJI Pocket 2 compatible and non-compatible phones/troubleshooting
62114 353 2021-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf383ef6a
New

United States

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkX6XWsREA0 So, if I don't have a compatible phone, does the pretty much mean I should NOT purchase the DJI Pocket 2?
2022-9-5
Use props
webcat
New

United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2021-3-6 07:46
First of all, thank you for sharing your experience. It will help others to avoid the same pitfall. Also, it is important to express the dissatisfaction for them. Thing's won't get fixed if we just keep quiet.

I feel your pain. I am extremely frustrated about this very same issue, though I have a different phone. Before buying, I thought that being able to run DJI Mimo on my phone would be enough to ensure compatibility with my phone. But NO! Never did they state anywhere that you need a VERY SPECIFIC version of the app to be able to use the whole darn thing.

Honestly this all is completely ridiculous of them. First you have to "Activate" the thing like it's a Tria Hair Removal Laser, then you have to have a Special Phone like being part of some Special Club. I am extremely grateful I always research things before I purchase them, because I would have been beyond P'd off had I purchased the thing and it not work. I hate "returning" things. I spend my money for stuff i 'want' not stuff i want to spend my time shipping it back and forth. I thank All of you for sharing and DJI you should be ashamed. I doubt you are though.
2022-9-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansf383ef6a Posted at 9-5 17:55
I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkX6XWsREA0 So, if I don't have a compatible phone, does the pretty much mean I should NOT purchase the DJI Pocket 2?

It depends on your use scenario. After the activation, most of the Pocket 2's functions can be used as a stand-alone unit, however some operation will require a compatible iOS or Android device. For instance, taking pictures and video the normal way works without an additional device, but remote controlling and pano functions require a compatible phone or tablet.

At first, I was completely unable to use my Pocket 2, but my friend borrowed his phone for the activation and I could use the camera at least partially after that. Later on, I got a compatible phone and got access to all the functions.

If you don't have a compatible phone and need the additional functions, you could see if you have a compatible tablet. For further reference, see my tablet-compatibility list and troubleshooting tips at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237518

Good luck with your ventures, either by getting the Pocket 2 to work or by finding another camera that works for your needs!
2022-9-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

webcat Posted at 9-5 18:28
Honestly this all is completely ridiculous of them. First you have to "Activate" the thing like it's a Tria Hair Removal Laser, then you have to have a Special Phone like being part of some Special Club. I am extremely grateful I always research things before I purchase them, because I would have been beyond P'd off had I purchased the thing and it not work. I hate "returning" things. I spend my money for stuff i 'want' not stuff i want to spend my time shipping it back and forth. I thank All of you for sharing and DJI you should be ashamed. I doubt you are though.

I do agree on your opinion about activation and restrictions on the compatibility of phones. For many, the great camera is ruined by these limitations. I was extremely frustrated with this myself too. It could have been that I would have initially bought another manufacturer's camera had I known this forehand. But now that the activation hassle is over, I have been content with it.

You are absolutely right in the usefulness of researching forehand, it should be that we shouldn't need to do it, but unfortunately nowadays many manufacturers include such caveats on their products, and investigating and comparing forehand can save you a lot of time, money, effort and headaches.

I hope you find the best solution for your needs, and thanks for contributing to the discussion! :-)
2022-9-6
Use props
Javier Alonso60
lvl.1

Spain

Samsung A53-5G - NO (La pantalla permanece en negro, lo que la inutiliza. Hay posibilidad de solucionar este problema
2022-9-21
Use props
Javier Alonso60
lvl.1

Spain

Samsung A53-5G - NO (La pantalla permanece en negro, lo que la inutiliza. Hay posibilidad de solucionar este problema.
Hola buenos días, desde que compre el DJI pocket 2, funciono y sigue funcionando bien, pero cambie de móvil pasando de un Galaxy A12, A UN Galaxy A53 5G, y ya dejo de funcionar en el móvil actual, pero solo si uso este nuevo móvil, habrá alguien que me pueda ayudar para solucionar este problema? Muchas gracias.
Javier Alonso
2022-9-21
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Javier Alonso60 Posted at 9-21 03:17
Samsung A53-5G - NO (La pantalla permanece en negro, lo que la inutiliza. Hay posibilidad de solucionar este problema.
Hola buenos días, desde que compre el DJI pocket 2, funciono y sigue funcionando bien, pero cambie de móvil pasando de un Galaxy A12, A UN Galaxy A53 5G, y ya dejo de funcionar en el móvil actual, pero solo si uso este nuevo móvil, habrá alguien que me pueda ayudar para solucionar este problema? Muchas gracias.
Javier Alonso

Samsung A53-5G - NO (The screen remains black, which renders it useless. There is a possibility to solve this problem.) Hello good morning, since I bought the DJI Pocket 2, I work and it still works well, but I changed mobile phone going from a Galaxy A12, to a Galaxy A53 5G, and I stop working on the current mobile, but only if I use this new mobile, will there be someone who can help me to solve this problem? Thanks a lot. Javier Alonso

Hello and thank you for your information, will compare it to my list and see if it needs to be updated. I apologize for not being able to read Spanish, I tried translating through a computer program but couldn't exactly figure out the exact meanings to write here. I hope you'll still be able to understand my reply.

I unfortunately have no personal experience on this model, so I can't say much more than to try the troubleshooting tips and see if those make a difference. But if I will figure out something else to try, I will mention it on this thread.

Good luck with your troubleshooting, I hope you'll get it to work the way you want it!
2022-9-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Added one new troubleshooting tip for scenarios where the app works but the monitoring is laggy. Thanks for zciUKm88uBnUtbtd0pL4ZA2 and CopterSpy for pointing this out!
2022-11-4
Use props
djiuser_30ziBMfxsOkR
New

India

Does Redmi note 8 pro connects the camera?
2022-11-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_30ziBMfxsOkR Posted at 11-18 01:57
Does Redmi note 8 pro connects the camera?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test this model personally, nor have I received any comments of it's compatibility from other users. But as soon as I find out something about it, I will report it here.

Are there any other fellow forum members who would possibly know about this model?
2022-11-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Added one new troubleshooting tip for scenarios where the preview on Android/iOS devices is black, flickers or gets stuck.
2022-11-19
Use props
djiuser_gaOQqARrMHJC
New

United States

I wonder If there is anyone who has this problem.
I recently bought DJI Osmo Pocket Part 13 Expansion Kit and learned that It doesn't work with my Pocket 2.
Of course the official website says it support and I believe both pocket 2 and expansion kit is not counterfeit.
If there is case like this, would anyone let me know? Super annoying and not sure if I can buy another one since the first one didn't fit.

2022-11-22
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_gaOQqARrMHJC Posted at 11-22 18:01
I wonder If there is anyone who has this problem.
I recently bought DJI Osmo Pocket Part 13 Expansion Kit and learned that It doesn't work with my Pocket 2.
Of course the official website says it support and I believe both pocket 2 and expansion kit is not counterfeit.

Can't see exactly precisely from that picture, so I'll have to ask. Is there some of the bottom parts (the standard one or the one with the tripod thread) connected when you attempt to connect the wireless adapter to the Pocket 2? If there is, will it fit better with just the Pocket 2 directly connected?

I recently discovered a similar situation when I bought a Ulanzi adapter that adds a tripod thread and two USB-C ports located on sides of the adapter to the original Osmo Pocket. When I attempted to connect the Pocket 2 to it with the bottom cap attached, it couldn't go in, but after I removed it prior to attempting again, I got it attached.
2022-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Added one new troubleshooting tip (#13), updated a previous one (#4), added new compatible models (Google Pixel 5 and Pixel 6A, OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos) ) and one non-compatible (Sony Xperia 1 Mark II). If you know others or see contradicting information, feel free to correct me.
2022-11-29
Use props
fava
lvl.1

Greece

HI everyone. Since I found this thread, I got disappointed. My Samsung Note 10 plus is in the Not working list. So, the question is? Can I use an older device as a monitor without using is it as my smartphone too -eg with no sim card?
Thanks in advance.
2022-12-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fava Posted at 12-5 13:27
HI everyone. Since I found this thread, I got disappointed. My Samsung Note 10 plus is in the Not working list. So, the question is? Can I use an older device as a monitor without using is it as my smartphone too -eg with no sim card?
Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with that model :-(

For what I know, the SIM card is not needed for the basic operation of the Mimo app. You just need Wifi connection (and possibly Bluetooth/GPS locating) to operate the Android/iOS device as a monitor/remote control. When I tested my Pocket 2 a while ago with my Android tablet and Mimo app, I only needed to enable the Wifi to get the remote control/monitoring functions.
2022-12-6
Use props
fava
lvl.1

Greece

HGDC84 Posted at 12-6 11:46
Hello!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with that model :-(

Thanks, that's good to hear.
I hope I can work this around by buying an older compatible phone to use as a remote screen
2022-12-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fava Posted at 12-6 12:34
Thanks, that's good to hear.
I hope I can work this around by buying an older compatible phone to use as a remote screen

Good luck with your efforts, I hope you get it working!

As for the operation, do keep in mind that you need to activate the Pocket 2 first before operating (unless you have already done so with another phone or tablet). But I think you can do that if the Pocket 2 is connected with and physical adapter to the phone/tablet and you then connect it to a Internet-connected WIFI router etc.
2022-12-6
Use props
fava
lvl.1

Greece

HGDC84 Posted at 12-6 12:37
Good luck with your efforts, I hope you get it working!

As for the operation, do keep in mind that you need to activate the Pocket 2 first before operating (unless you have already done so with another phone or tablet). But I think you can do that if the Pocket 2 is connected with and physical adapter to the phone/tablet and you then connect it to a Internet-connected WIFI router etc.

I bought it second hand so it's already activated.
One question for you. I found a Huawei P40 lite for a good price. Is this the one you mention on the list? Because I see only Huawei P40 and Huawei P40 Pro.
Thanks in advance
2022-12-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fava Posted at 12-6 12:55
I bought it second hand so it's already activated.
One question for you. I found a Huawei P40 lite for a good price. Is this the one you mention on the list? Because I see only Huawei P40 and Huawei P40 Pro.
Thanks in advance

Glad to know it is activated, life becomes much easier with it when it's done.

The Huawei P40 and the P40 Pro are models that I have not been able to test myself, added them because they were (at least at some point) on the official DJI Compatibility list. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience or other people's reports on the Lite version of P40, nor is it mentioned on the official DJI list, so I personally cannot confirm nor deny it working. I would guess it could work, but cannot give any guarantees on it.

Usually, the safest bet is to go with the models officially mentioned by DJI, but at least in most cases, the models in the "YES" category should work fine straight ahead unless stated otherwise. There may be some limitations and/or extra requirements with the "YES" models, but many need no extra efforts to make them work.

I also hope the list helps you to find a compatible model, also do bear in mind that if you cannot find a phone that works, you could possibly use a compatible tablet for the job. See the first post for the link for the tablet list if you want to seek that option.

Good luck with your investigations, and if you happen to test the P40 Lite yourself, I would love to hear your results!
2022-12-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Added two new non-compatible models on the list. If you test new models or find errors on the ones already mentioned on the list, feel free to post your notes here. :-)
2022-12-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Added one new compatible model: Google Pixel 7 Pro.
2023-1-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

UPDATE on the list: Recent feedback has proven that the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G is compatible with the Pocket 2 after installing the latest version of the Mimo app and applying the troubleshooting tip #11 to the app. Thanks for username GiuseppeC for pointing this out! :-)
2023-1-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Additional update to the previous one: The Mimo version used was v1.8.12.
2023-1-19
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Updated the troubleshooting list about the Mimo app being compatible with the different Android versions.
2023-2-1
Use props
buddy08
lvl.1
Germany

Hello all, for your info. the Samsung S21 FE with Android 13, One UI 5.0 is not working with Mimo over the USB-C-Adapter.
Mimo V1.8.12(226083) is installed. I have no wireless adapter to check another way.
2023-2-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

buddy08 Posted at 2-13 13:50
Hello all, for your info. the Samsung S21 FE with Android 13, One UI 5.0 is not working with Mimo over the USB-C-Adapter.
Mimo V1.8.12(226083) is installed. I have no wireless adapter to check another way.

Thank you for reporting the results of your tests, I hope you get it to work the way or the other.
2023-2-14
Use props
buddy08
lvl.1
Germany

HGDC84 Posted at 2-14 07:28
Thank you for reporting the results of your tests, I hope you get it to work the way or the other.

Update, I have received a spare USB-C-Adapter from Dji Support. Now it works with my Galaxy S21 FE. Thx for help
2023-2-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

buddy08 Posted at 2-26 10:57
Update, I have received a spare USB-C-Adapter from Dji Support. Now it works with my Galaxy S21 FE. Thx for help

Thank you for that status update, I have updated the list accordingly. Will be helpful to those who want to use that same model.
2023-2-27
Use props
SamSepi0l
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Compatibility testing report

Galaxy A10s (Android 11) -> NO, not even able to install the app
Galaxy A6+ (Android 10) -> NO, not even able to install the app  

Just to be clear I am aware that the APK must be downloaded from DJI website and unknown sources need to be given permission. Both processes have been done to no avail. My only option that I am aware of now is to buy a compatible phone as I have exhausted my phone borrowing options.   

Luckily, I was planning and needed to buy a new phone anyway so it is not much of an inconvenience for me. Although, I am glad I did not buy a new incompatible phone before buying the pocket 2 just to be left with the nasty shock of the trials and tribulations required to activate the pocket 2, otherwise I would have been left in a rather precarious position.

DJI should really abandon this ridiculous activation process; they are only antagonizing their customers for no reason.

2023-3-2
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Sony Xperia 1 Mark II - NO

Who wrote this? It works just like all other android download app from the DJI website and allow installing 3rd party software. I have never heard any Sony phones from 1 or 5 series not working. They all work if you know what to do.
2023-3-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

SamSepi0l Posted at 3-2 20:21

Galaxy A10s (Android 11) -> NO, not even able to install the app

Thank you for that report, list updated accordingly.

Sorry to hear your phones did not work with the Pocket 2 and the Mimo app, but glad to hear it wasn't too much of an inconvenience to you.

And I absolutely agree on the problems of the activation, I do believe this frustrates many potential customers and could end up causing financial losses to DJI.
2023-3-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Aavalaakso Posted at 3-2 23:02
Sony Xperia 1 Mark II - NO

Who wrote this? It works just like all other android download app from the DJI website and allow installing 3rd party software. I have never heard any Sony phones from 1 or 5 series not working. They all work if you know what to do.

While I cannot directly comment on single models working or not working the way or the other without personal experience, I do find it a good idea to occasionally investigate and report models that have been tested earlier on, as factors such as OS and app updates and discovery of new troubleshooting tips could help make earlier models work.

Have you personally tested this very model and noticed it works, or have you deduced it by other means?

For now, I will mark the entry as having contradicting information. And if somebody reports this model as working, I will change the entry.

Thanks for this and earlier posts!
2023-3-3
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

HGDC84 Posted at 3-3 06:09
While I cannot directly comment on single models working or not working the way or the other without personal experience, I do find it a good idea to occasionally investigate and report models that have been tested earlier on, as factors such as OS and app updates and discovery of new troubleshooting tips could help make earlier models work.

Have you personally tested this very model and noticed it works, or have you deduced it by other means?

I know Xperia 1 I and III works. Also Xperia 5 II works and Xperia 5 II is the same device than Xperia 1 II except screen size is just smaller. Sony phones are very close to stock android. Thats why all Sony USB-C phones works.
2023-3-3
Use props
SamSepi0l
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 3-3 05:40
Thank you for that report, list updated accordingly.

Sorry to hear your phones did not work with the Pocket 2 and the Mimo app, but glad to hear it wasn't too much of an inconvenience to you.

Thank you for still updating the list. Very useful and appreciated.
2023-3-4
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

SamSepi0l Posted at 3-4 06:21
Thank you for still updating the list. Very useful and appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback, though I'll have to say most of the work is done by all the forum members who send reports of the tested phones. So in this case, you can pat yourself on the back Thank you for contributing and helping to solve the problems!
2023-3-5
Use props
SamSepi0l
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 12) -> YES, activated pocket 2 successfully  

The USB-C connection is stable. I personally will use pocket 2 as a stand alone device but the app works great so far from my limited testing.  

I know in the last posting about S10+ there was a little confusion but hopefully this confirms that the S10+ definitely works.
2023-3-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

SamSepi0l Posted at 3-5 17:01
Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 12) -> YES, activated pocket 2 successfully  

Thanks for the feedback, list updated accordingly.

I will do a small confirmation though - My earlier information did show that model to be compatible, I would like to ensure if you meant that specific model or did you accidentally write a wrong model name? But good to know it to be confirmed if you meant exactly that one.
2023-3-6
Use props
djiuser_pYNSvmRddDTU
New
Malaysia

Just got my Pocket 2 today, downloaded the Mimo app from the website and it worked with my Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G. Didn't prompt me to download a firmware update like I thought it would but not sure if my firmware is the latest for now.

Pocket 2 Firmware - 01.03.00.10
Mimo - V1.8.12(226083)

Hope this helps
2023-3-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_pYNSvmRddDTU Posted at 3-7 05:54
Just got my Pocket 2 today, downloaded the Mimo app from the website and it worked with my Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G. Didn't prompt me to download a firmware update like I thought it would but not sure if my firmware is the latest for now.

Pocket 2 Firmware - 01.03.00.10

Thank you for this report, it certainly is useful information as there had not been earlier reports of this model. Also, glad to hear you got it working.

Thanks once more and happy filming!
2023-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules