Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 - No Object Avoidance in Point of Interest, crash!
3555 33 2021-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

Well, I was at the golf course to test out the tracking features and object avoidance. Be careful, the object avoidance works pretty good in Active Track mode but as soon as you switch to Point of Interest to track from the side, it doesn't have sensors to see what it might run into. I quickly ran my brand new Mavic Air into a tree. Lucky it didn't destroy it but it did crack off one of the legs. A quick super glue repair and it's all good, although it could have been a lot worse.

2021-2-5
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sorry about your crash.
I do like the dog, was this a video of you learning to ride a bicycle?

I’m thinking superglue is not the best repair method.
2021-2-5
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I love Bulldogs.
If you have RTFM you would have known.
And as Karen mentioned Superglue is not a good idea. Best way would be to send it to DJI for repair.
2021-2-5
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yes...you're just looking for a worse accident and maybe a liability issue relying on a superglue repair.
2021-2-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, FlyEasternOR. Thanks for reaching out! We have watched the video that you have posted and that was truly unfortunate. It is suggested to return your unit back to our Service Center to have it checked. You can open a ticket by reaching our Customer Support. Hopefully, this will be all sorted out.
2021-2-5
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Instead of super glue try using Bison Epoxy Universal or Metal...bi-component. Is like a super strong hibrid plastic-metal after 24h.
2021-2-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use epoxy not super glue if you must glue it.
2021-2-6
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 2-5 19:12
Sorry about your crash.
I do like the dog, was this a video of you learning to ride a bicycle?

Haha, thanks - no I've been riding a bike for a few years now, it's probably because I'm trying to hold the smart controller and check in with the status of the drone while riding. And that leads to another question I have: what are you supposed to do with the smart controller while you are doing some activity like this and have it on autotracking? I tried putting the controller in the frame bag of the bicycle with the control sticks removed, but as soon as I hit a jump it somehow moved one of the controls or touch screen and took it out of active track. Probably not best to be jumping the bike with the smart controller on board either.
2021-2-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I would consider using JB Weld over super glue.  
2021-2-6
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

MySky Posted at 2-5 20:33
I love Bulldogs.
If you have RTFM you would have known.
And as Karen mentioned Superglue is not a good idea. Best way would be to send it to DJI for repair.

She's a good girl! Taking her running on the bike is one of her favorite hobbies - and chasing squirrels!
Hey I read a little bit of the manual and watched a tutorial or two - I thought trying out the different modes at the golf course was a nice conservative place to test it out, and figured I had clearance on that tree. If you notice the drone moved in closer on me from the side right before impact. I learned my lesson.
And for everyone saying super glue isn't good - it wasn't the actual arm that broke, it was the leg (landing stabilizer?) at the end of the arm. I attached a picture to show that it is indeed secure with the super glue.. lucky nothing else broke like the camera gimbal or internal components.

2021-2-6
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

You would want to use methacrylate (two part epoxy) not cyanoacrylate (super glue)

It sets fast and the vapors are powerful, use with ventilation.
Better yet, replace the part.
2021-2-6
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FlyEasternOR Posted at 2-6 08:35
Haha, thanks - no I've been riding a bike for a few years now, it's probably because I'm trying to hold the smart controller and check in with the status of the drone while riding. And that leads to another question I have: what are you supposed to do with the smart controller while you are doing some activity like this and have it on autotracking? I tried putting the controller in the frame bag of the bicycle with the control sticks removed, but as soon as I hit a jump it somehow moved one of the controls or touch screen and took it out of active track. Probably not best to be jumping the bike with the smart controller on board either.

Sorry, I’m not the person to answer your question regarding tracking videos.
There are many on the forum who are much better with selfie type videos.
Not familiar with this the best I can offer is altitude is your friend.

Glad to see you have a sense of humor.
Best of luck.
2021-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

there is no side obstacle avoidence, you should be aware of this before flying. It’s a bitch to have a crash, but it could have been avoided, lucky not so much damage.
2021-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

there is no side obstacle avoidence, you should be aware of this before flying. It’s a bitch to have a crash, but it could have been avoided, lucky not so much damage.
2021-2-6
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047251 ft
Greece

By the way i had the same experience with avoidance. BUT! I wanted the same camera angle (side view) and i just turn my gimbal! NOT THE DRONE! there are NO side avoiding thingys so ... Sad crash
2021-2-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Make sure you keep an eye on the drone at all times!
2021-2-8
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2-8 00:09
Make sure you keep an eye on the drone at all times!

that's fine, but I'm still wondering what you're supposed to do with the controller when you need to do an activity that requires both hands, like biking down a hill or something, and you want the drone to actively track you.

like I said in a previous reply - I tried putting the controller in the frame bag so I could do some downhill runs and as soon as the screen or controls are bumped it takes the drone out of active track and it just sits there idle until I pull the controller back out and reset it to track me.

I guess leave the controller on the ground somewhere close? In that case, even if I did keep an eye on the drone I wouldn't be able to make any adjustments in case it was running into trouble.

I guess the moral of the story is you just need an extra person to still oversee the drone during active track, it's not really setup for solo adventuring unless you want to set the controller down somewhere and just do short runs.

Anyways, thanks for all your help (and criticism ;)  to everyone who replied.
2021-2-8
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

dreamergr Posted at 2-7 23:21
By the way i had the same experience with avoidance. BUT! I wanted the same camera angle (side view) and i just turn my gimbal! NOT THE DRONE! there are NO side avoiding thingys so ... Sad crash

See I didn't even know you could turn the gimbal on the mavic air 2 - I had a mini before this and all there was is tilt. I guess I have to do some more reading and tutorials. I love the drone though, it handles much better in the mountain strong-wind conditions so far and the camera seems much better resolution.
2021-2-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

FlyEasternOR Posted at 2-8 08:30
that's fine, but I'm still wondering what you're supposed to do with the controller when you need to do an activity that requires both hands, like biking down a hill or something, and you want the drone to actively track you.

like I said in a previous reply - I tried putting the controller in the frame bag so I could do some downhill runs and as soon as the screen or controls are bumped it takes the drone out of active track and it just sits there idle until I pull the controller back out and reset it to track me.

I have seen on eBay a DJI Remote Control holder for bike handle bars.  

The problem with the whole riding the bike while flying a drone is that you are very distracted which is a violation of the FAA Part 107 and Exemption rules and regulations.  Affixing your Remote to handlebars would be a demonstration of negligence in the off chance something were to go wrong and serious crash with injury or damage were to occur.  In the United States civil legal system you would negate any argument of a reasonable duty of care.

All that being, to me it does not seem dangerous or negligent despite the legal quandary.  More than likely the largest risk is you crash your bike.

Early on I had a few close calls with the Intelligent Flight Modes.  The Mavic Air 2 is prone to move in unpredictable ways simultaneously on all three axis of flight to keep the subject in focus.  Now when using the Quickshots or Intelligent Flight Modes I exercise extreme caution.  

I joke that Active Track and Focus Track are revenue generating features for DJI as often crashes occur that result in repair or replacement for first time or beginner pilots.
2021-2-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, I wonder about that too.
I never tried it and my current drone does not have active track.
2021-2-8
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

have you taken a look at the skydio 2 with beacon?  ;)
2021-2-8
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047251 ft
Greece

FlyEasternOR Posted at 2-8 08:33
See I didn't even know you could turn the gimbal on the mavic air 2 - I had a mini before this and all there was is tilt. I guess I have to do some more reading and tutorials. I love the drone though, it handles much better in the mountain strong-wind conditions so far and the camera seems much better resolution.

Yeah its very nice drone! What you need to do is press and Hold the screen until it gives you the right to turn the gimbal manually. Turn it 60° and just put it on Tracking you. it will fly "straight " and the sensors are gona look a bit forward too
2021-2-8
Use props
EmpieDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741102 ft
Belgium

The Saint Posted at 2-8 12:45

Skydios are also crashing into wires and or falling into water.... Check YT....
2021-2-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Yes, you worked it out for yourself.
Another person!
Perhaps the video would be better if a girl rode the bike and you learned to fly manually.
The dog was a star.
2021-2-9
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

EmpieDrone Posted at 2-9 01:08
Skydios are also crashing into wires and or falling into water.... Check YT....

not mine.  comparing the skydio and dji, it's not even close.
2021-2-9
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

dreamergr Posted at 2-8 23:33
Yeah its very nice drone! What you need to do is press and Hold the screen until it gives you the right to turn the gimbal manually. Turn it 60° and just put it on Tracking you. it will fly "straight " and the sensors are gona look a bit forward too

Thanks, I looked online for hours to try to find out how to turn the gimbal with the smart controller and came to the conclusion that it was impossible/not a feature. I will try this suggestion next time I'm out to see if it works. I'll make sure to not try to test the object avoidance around solid trees this time.
2021-2-9
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2-9 03:54
Yes, you worked it out for yourself.
Another person!
Perhaps the video would be better if a girl rode the bike and you learned to fly manually.

Gotta find a girl who rides a bike first then I guess; that's been a bigger challenge than learning to fly a drone without crashing into a tree... baby steps! Thanks for the suggestion/confidence boost though.
2021-2-9
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-8 12:45

Ya I saw that.. after the boss bought me this Mavic Air 2 to use for work. Don't tell him I crashed it at the golf course testing it out. Also probably not the best forum to talk about other brands being better at certain features or not. Looks like a cool drone though. I like the Mavic Air 2 camera and the way it folds up too. They probably both have their plus/minus, but I've seen videos on youtube now where the skydio has much better object avoidance and then that beacon thing for solo action sports.
2021-2-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

FlyEasternOR Posted at 2-9 14:36
Ya I saw that.. after the boss bought me this Mavic Air 2 to use for work. Don't tell him I crashed it at the golf course testing it out. Also probably not the best forum to talk about other brands being better at certain features or not. Looks like a cool drone though. I like the Mavic Air 2 camera and the way it folds up too. They probably both have their plus/minus, but I've seen videos on youtube now where the skydio has much better object avoidance and then that beacon thing for solo action sports.

I carried out some practical tests of the avoidance system on MP (the original) and whilst they are set to on, I never rely on them working. By that I mean, I fly like they don't exist.
A slightly amusing story that springs to mind is with my Phantom 3 pro. I happened to have it with me one evening while passing the harbour. I live on a small Island. It was late evening. I spotted a 'Tall Ship' at anchor and because of the sunset, I just had to film it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEp81qKrBmE
It was a long way out and I hadn't had the Phantom long, so flying over water was a big risk.
Having taken my time to get the best shots I could, i flew back with low battery warning. I was just below 30%, the default setting.
It seemed to take ages to fly back and suddenly, the drone stopped dead at about half way. The warning was that there was an obstacle ahead. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to pass this invisible barrier. At first I thought I had made a mistake judging mast heights of other boats, but I was way above all of them.
In the end, I had to fly sideways and then forward to get to my landing spot.
It was simply the avoidance system reacting in a low light situation.
My Mavic Pro tests were to approach obstacles to see if the system worked. It always did, except for bushes with straggling foliage. These are able to bring the drone down.

2021-2-10
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

dreamergr Posted at 2-8 23:33
Yeah its very nice drone! What you need to do is press and Hold the screen until it gives you the right to turn the gimbal manually. Turn it 60° and just put it on Tracking you. it will fly "straight " and the sensors are gona look a bit forward too

Hey that dragging on the screen to the left or right works great! Thanks for the tip. Turns the gimbal all the way over to where you can even see the front arms. Will try it with the object avoidance next.
2021-2-10
Use props
FlyEasternOR
lvl.1
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2-10 04:15
I carried out some practical tests of the avoidance system on MP (the original) and whilst they are set to on, I never rely on them working. By that I mean, I fly like they don't exist.
A slightly amusing story that springs to mind is with my Phantom 3 pro. I happened to have it with me one evening while passing the harbour. I live on a small Island. It was late evening. I spotted a 'Tall Ship' at anchor and because of the sunset, I just had to film it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEp81qKrBmE

Wow that's a sweet video. I was curious about the location so I looked up Alderney on google maps - what a cool spot to live. Seems my mavic air 2 was able to sense the branches in my first test and avoid them by ducking under but I'll be careful of that too from now on. Thanks for all your tips.
2021-2-10
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Jersey

FlyEasternOR Posted at 2-10 09:12
Wow that's a sweet video. I was curious about the location so I looked up Alderney on google maps - what a cool spot to live. Seems my mavic air 2 was able to sense the branches in my first test and avoid them by ducking under but I'll be careful of that too from now on. Thanks for all your tips.

If you ever visit, look me up. My dron pics are used on the fort information boards.
If you are interested in a drone tour of the island, try
https://youtu.be/P_yQdU-ofvs
2021-2-11
Use props
fansf2412862
lvl.1

Norway

Why doesn’t the POI have the Obstacle Avoidance-feature? Could DJI turn it on for POI?
2022-5-2
Use props
blue_canyon21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23302795 ft
United States

fansf2412862 Posted at 5-2 22:33
Why doesn’t the POI have the Obstacle Avoidance-feature? Could DJI turn it on for POI?

Technically, it does... but the drone doesn't have sideways sensors. In this particular mode, the drone goes sideways. Thus, no obstacle avoidance available.
2022-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules