United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-1
Use props
jason_m_bare
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-9 07:34
I can categorically state, that I never threw a drive shaft out of one of my daily driver cars or  ...

This point is not linear, your drag car is modified.  We are talking about OEM build and within limit usage.  Your P3 is the daily driver in your analogy, not the drag car.
2016-1-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jason_m_bare Posted at 2016-1-9 23:47
This point is not linear, your drag car is modified.  We are talking about OEM build and within li ...

Besides digging up a thread that's 6 months old, did you bother to read the entire back and forth?

DJI made a lot of assumptions with the internal design of the P3. With the top shell only carrying any torsional load through three screws on each arm, these areas are prone to cracking. There is nothing spreading the torque from the motors to upper shell.

Are you aware that late summer, DJI went back and designed a new inner shell bracing scheme? It's better than it was, but still doesn't tie the upper and lower shells together.
2016-1-10
Use props
jason_m_bare
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2016-1-10 10:48
Besides digging up a thread that's 6 months old, did you bother to read the entire back and forth? ...

No, I'm not aware of a redesign.  I am researching currently because I am ok the fence with buying a P3 Pro.  I have been reading all of this negative stuff.  Flyaways, mid flight power losses, app crash issues and most recently....  This geofencing BS.

I was considering looking passed all the other aforementioned stuff, but the geofencing is a hard pill to swallow.  

Back to the point though, I was reading through this thread and came across your fallacious analogy about a drag car and decided to add my 2cents.
2016-1-10
Use props
hannahendozo25
New

Philippines

Mine crack after 50 flight no history of crash good that found it early but so sad using it for mu business hope dji will make action with the problem..
2016-2-2
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

200 flights and clean.
2016-2-3
Use props
hannahendozo25
New

Philippines

No crash but has crack on both rear arms,and DJI wants me to sent it backnto chine im from the philippines,how much should i spend for the repair and it will took ages for me to wait at a chance to hold it buy the custom when they sent it back..i told them thatnim using it to my bussiness,no consideration..sorry for me..im giving them very poor rating because of that very poor customer service
2016-2-6
Use props
hannahendozo25
New

Philippines

Mine is crackd too,and they want me to send back to china..im from the philippines,,very very poor aftermarket service..
2016-2-6
Use props
tds-art
lvl.1
Flight distance : 157536 ft
Russia

2016-2-10
Use props
GortToo
lvl.1

United States

My shell is clean at 112 flights, no crashes. I put the strong arran caps on after just a few cliffhanger.
2016-2-27
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

32 flights and zero cracks.
2016-2-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

All in all a pretty amazing stat that more than 27% have reported cracks,
fortunately none for me and near 200 flights...
2016-2-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-8 22:13
Its a good question.   The phantom 3 was my first DJI product.    And may  be my last.    I feel lik ...

Exactly, hire more people, its that simple. Im sure there are still a few unemployed 9 year olds in china.
2016-2-29
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

This thread really worries me as a new phantom 3 pro owner, I haven't even opened the box yet to see what DJI does tomorrow.  I have the B shell on the pro with new motors, I've seen pics already of the new motor version cracking which really worries me.  

For those who loosened your screws, did anyone's still crack? I'm wondering if I should loosen my screws 1/4 turn.
2016-2-29
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

Food for thought, would the mounting brackets for the quick release prop guards add strength to the shell? I know it's plastic but it is rigid and weighs nothing.
2016-3-16
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

2nd of my 3rd p3 advance has developed a crack.. My third drone I've only flown about 5 times so who knows when that one will crack.. I can't believe it. I just received my p4. I hope it doesn't have any significant design flaws like the p3 shell crack..
2016-3-16
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

Looks like the one screw was torqued in too tight from the get go, any issues on the other three motor  mounts?
2016-3-17
Use props
Mwoods
lvl.1

United States

Cracks on both side of one arm before it flares to the engine mount. 2 minor incidents. Thought about how to reinforce it. Did the hair dryer / hot air to relax the plastic and it almost came back to its before incident shape. Thought of Gorilla Glue or something like that then bought some epoxy puddy, the one in a single tube you nead together then apply. I took a small dab of the puddy and mixed it together to activate it. It turned a gray color and I applied it to the area of the crack and spread it out making a thin layer over the area of the crack. I did this on both sides of the arm where the cracks were. It dried in an hour and didn't affect the characteristics of the flight of the drone at all. Very pleased.   
2016-3-19
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Yeah DJI where is the quality control.  My drone only fell from 100 feet after hitting a tree and look at the stress cracks I have now.   

Enjoy your drone folks and when you get cracks, buy some epoxy resin or a new shell.  

2016-3-27
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-8 19:14
DJI has stated if you are having this issue that they will replace the shell, but it will have to be ...

Is this for an indefinite amount of time despite 1 year general warranty? Can we quote you on this?
2016-3-27
Use props
KenBSA
lvl.1

South Africa

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-10 02:18
gregg
Read back  on some of my posts on the other cracking threads, that is exactly the 2 fixes I  ...

Hi. I have have my Phantom 3 Advanced for nearly six weeks now have flown it approx 37 times without any problems or crashes. After reading posts on this forum I decided to inspect it and found cracks in the casing at two of the motors. After contacting Dji, which took 3 days, they notified me that the Aircraft would be repaired free of charged. However, I don't want the problem to re occur, and reading your post, I possibly have access to a 3D printer and would very much appreciate an autocad file which would enable me to create a product to strengthen it.
2016-3-28
Use props
KenBSA
lvl.1

South Africa

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-9 23:16
Gregg
the problem is not around the motor mount screws,  I would think that the guards would add  ...

Hi. I have have my Phantom 3 Advanced for nearly six weeks now have flown it approx 37 times without any problems or crashes. After reading posts on this forum I decided to inspect it and found cracks in the casing at two of the motors. After contacting Dji, which took 3 days, they notified me that the Aircraft would be repaired free of charged. However, I don't want the problem to re occur, and reading your post, I possibly have access to a 3D printer and would very much appreciate an autocad file which would enable me to create a product to strengthen it.
2016-3-28
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-7-8 16:24
Mine is clean, plus I unscrewed all of the screws and re screwed them by hand. Finger tight.

is yours still clean now?
2016-3-28
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

Ik had cracks in my Ph 3 afther olmost 12 months, toke it back to my drone shop who sended it to the DJI service point in the netherlands, in 10 days recieved the drone back with a better new designed shell
so it is a production problem for sure, but DJI restored the shell and olso a brand new gimball because of terrible jello effect, so after all i am plaesed whit the good service in only 10 days, way to go DJI !
2016-4-2
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it is still clean.
2016-4-3
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

After cracking every phantom 3 but 1, with updated shell and motors, I picked up a phantom 4. Flight number 55 done today. Every single flight was done in sport, all long range with over 8 kilometers covered, no cracks yet. Knock on wood but it seems to be a far stronger bird. The motors mounts utilizing top and bottom shell seem to be working well.
2016-4-14
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15860 ft

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-9 17:11
Have you seen the mounting plates used by the removable prop guards? If not, the plates are around ...

I've got one I'll send you
2016-4-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jcripps91 Posted at 2016-4-15 14:22
I've got one I'll send you

Thanks for the offer, but I rarely fly the P3P.

The removable prop guard plates have kept the cracking at bay.

After the firestorm of shell cracks, DJI stepped up to replace cracked shells provided the unit hadn't been crashed.
2016-4-15
Use props
mikelt006
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

Hey
Is it recommended to unscrew the screws and screw them less tight?
2016-7-21
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

yes, it is recommended....
2016-7-21
Use props
jkbuda30
New

Greece

P3S 3 weeks old under warranty 10 flights , the local shop and dealer said it will take 2 months to get it back after they send it away for shell replacment , if i want the shell replaced by the local dealer i will be charged for the shell, work and courier around 130 euros and get it back in a few days , why send it to germany or holland ? does the warranty not apply for spare parts or a replacment unit ? why wait 2 months as iam using it for work ? not the best after sales policy i think ....

stress crack

stress crack
2016-8-7
Use props
mattwilcher
New

Well, You guys aren't alone. I replaced my body /shell after finding the dreaded cracks. I didn't overtighten any screws, I took my time and made sure the screws were firm , but not torqued. I even added the motor plates which I now believe are just "snake oil" . 2nd flight on new body I discovered a hairline crack. 3rd flight the crack had spread. I epoxy putted that arm with some marine epoxy putty I got from the hardware store. It looks kinda crappy on my new shell, but oh well I guess. The epoxy seemed to have stopped that crack cold for now. Tonight I flew and afterward I found a new crack on the other rear/aft arm . Once again I have epoxied it. If DJI doesn't come up with an improved body then I will replace this shell this fall ,when drone season is no fun due to weather, and I'll sell it. Very disappointed and considering a Typhoon. I have had so much fun with this thing ,but I really dont wont to keep wasting money on shells and wasting the 2 hrs to swap it out.
image1.JPG
2016-8-8
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

My P3S developed cracks on one motor mount after an ordinary flight. Never crashed or had any accidents either. It's on it's way back to DJI for repair for the third time now (first was because of a bad lens on the camera, second was due to short range.)

2016-8-18
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

I was told today that after the warranty is up they will not replace it.  Had mine 18 months before it cracked.
20160815_175343.jpg
2016-8-18
Use props
shura.shum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133533 ft
Portugal

Hi! Phantom 3 Professional, bought a month ago in Tallinn, Estonia. Did 14 flights, amounting to around 3 hours flight time. No crashes, no other issues, but small stress cracks on 2 motor arms, running  from the screws are already there. Will be visiting the dealer and demanding replacement or exchange for phantom 4 with extra money. DJI, this is plain unacceptable.
2016-8-19
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

I just want to be able to buy a new shell. Should be a easy fix but don't want 3rd party
2016-9-27
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

196  flights including one accident with a tree and dropped into the river. No cracks and I check every flight.
2016-11-13
Use props
fans5e96bf91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311385 ft
  • >>>
Finland

mattwilcher Posted at 2016-8-9 03:42
Well, You guys aren't alone. I replaced my body /shell after finding the dreaded cracks. I didn't ov ...

i believe these plates at least holds motors in place if shell fails. Or somebody can correct if i am wrong...

2016-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules