Locking gimball but track face?
1002 4 2021-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

Hey folks,

New Pocket 2 user here. I am just wondering if there is a way for me to use the Pocket 2 sitting on the table, stationary on its tripod feet, and then not actually move about but be locked, however... during this fixed position it will actually 'track a face', so if I come closer to the camera it focuses on my face, if I sit back it tracks my face still, or move left/right etc.

Or/And, if I hold something up to it it focuses on that object, then when I pull it away it focuses back on my face.

At the moment it seems that whenever it I engage actual Face Tracking then even if the gimball lock icon is showing it will still move the gimball head around. I want it to track my face and keep it in focus but not actually move.

Are these things possible?

Cheers,

BB
2021-2-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You want the gimbal locked in position but focus to follow your face - no, that's not the way it works.  Nearest you could do would be to use manual focussing within the app.
2021-2-8
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-8 04:08
You want the gimbal locked in position but focus to follow your face - no, that's not the way it works.  Nearest you could do would be to use manual focussing within the app.

That's cool, I just wondered. I thought perhaps it could operate like a mirrorless camera when tripodded and is face tracking, the camera itself stays still but is keeping the face in focus as it moves back and forth within the frame.

I thought perhaps there might be a difference between Face Tracking and just how to device works when not in this mode. It seems to still figure out that there's a face in the scene and gives priority to that does it not? Face Tracking is tied to the Gimbal feature of the Pocket 2, but do we need Face Tracking on for the device to still be smart enough to see a face and give that focus priority?

Also, is there a way to disable Face Tracking?
2021-2-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In the settings you can disable auto face tracking.  Swipe down from top, then tap on the large gear icon, then see the option at bottom left.   To turn off tracking if manually turned on (by double tapping the screen), tap the screen once.
2021-2-9
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-9 03:13
In the settings you can disable auto face tracking.  Swipe down from top, then tap on the large gear icon, then see the option at bottom left.   To turn off tracking if manually turned on (by double tapping the screen), tap the screen once.

Thanks for that, will try it out.

I had a small test yesterday, P2 tripodded on table, gimbal locked, Face tracking not tracking (just for whatever reason, the setting was still on for face tracking at this time but hadn't locked onto me), and then I sat outside of centre so my face was a little to the right of frame and it appears to focus on my face (and importantly not move). If I brought something up close to the centre (my mouse for example) it would focus on that and then focus back on my face when taking it away.

This is essentially what I am after for some of the use of the P2.

When connecting the phone up to it, I can see the yellow box track my face (not the green one that moves the gimbal), it just seems to have native face tracking or prioritising anyway I think, its just that Face Tracking is a step up and will aim to keep the face in the centre of the frame and move the gimbal if necessary I think...
2021-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules