17382 85 2021-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-9 10:18
Very interesting. I have not had time to fly and film too much since the weather here has been supercold and snowy so have not had time to test everything with the Mini 2. Its the wide angle panorama mode that I know for sure gives a sloping horizon in the individual images. (not center images). Which corresponds with what you were saying about 45" left and right problem.

Mabe its an indication that some Mini 2s come with a faulty gimbal rather than a software issue? As said before dji has asked me to send in my Mini 2. I guess I should do that but Im afraid it will take a very long time to get it back....

thanks for your feedback, I think it's a software issue, if you look when mini 2 taken photo's in wide angle panorama, the drone turns to new position and taken picture already, the gimbal isn't stable yet, if they delayed the speed of taken the pictures it should be fine.
2021-3-9
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136089 ft
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-9 10:18
Very interesting. I have not had time to fly and film too much since the weather here has been supercold and snowy so have not had time to test everything with the Mini 2. Its the wide angle panorama mode that I know for sure gives a sloping horizon in the individual images. (not center images). Which corresponds with what you were saying about 45" left and right problem.

Mabe its an indication that some Mini 2s come with a faulty gimbal rather than a software issue? As said before dji has asked me to send in my Mini 2. I guess I should do that but Im afraid it will take a very long time to get it back....

2021-3-15
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

2021-3-15
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

I just sent my Mini 2 to holland as requested by dji. Should be interesting to see what happens......
2021-3-15
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-15 11:58
I just sent my Mini 2 to holland as requested by dji. Should be interesting to see what happens......

Interesting indeed.
I am curious about the result of the technical investigation.
Please keep us informed of the progress.

Compared to the photos ... Holland does not hang to one side ..
It's actually pretty flat.
Excellent conditions to test your gimbal / horizon.
2021-3-21
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

2021-3-21
Use props
TomRoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28924 ft
Germany

Hi, I have the same problem with the Mini 2 plus uneven horizon while flying. When I adjust the Gimbal (See Video stills) and fly to the left, the horizen "falls" at the left side, the opposite when flying in the right direction.
What can I Do to prevent this?
Never had a crash. Only flew a couple times...

Thanks
Thomas
still1.jpg
still2.jpg
still3.jpg
2021-3-24
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

TomRoo Posted at 3-24 09:20
Hi, I have the same problem with the Mini 2 plus uneven horizon while flying. When I adjust the Gimbal (See Video stills) and fly to the left, the horizen "falls" at the left side, the opposite when flying in the right direction.
What can I Do to prevent this?
Never had a crash. Only flew a couple times...

I sent my Mini 2 to holland for repairs in regards to the tilted horizon (which I had only when using the WIDE PANORAMA MODE)

I was first told that there was nothing wrong.....  But when I sent them images (similar to yours) they have now agreed to change the gimbal axis arm.

I am glad that they are doing something but after 2.5 months to customer support explaining the issue and being told to send more and more images and explain the issue over and over I am a bit annoyed to being told by the repair section there is no problem and then having to supply proof yet again. There seem to be no communication between support and repairs..

I hope what they are doing will help! This seems to be a very common problem with the Mini 2
2021-3-24
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-24 09:58
I sent my Mini 2 to holland for repairs in regards to the tilted horizon (which I had only when using the WIDE PANORAMA MODE)

I was first told that there was nothing wrong.....  But when I sent them images (similar to yours) they have now agreed to change the gimbal axis arm.

Did you test the horizon with a circle or a helix ?

Apparently with a circle or helix the horizon stays perfectly straight.

When I hover, the horizon is tilted and slowly shifts in the wrong direction.
The higher I fly, the more tilted the horizon.

Annoying for you - to hear that communications, research and repair has to take so long.
2021-3-25
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

E.W. Posted at 3-25 05:59
Did you test the horizon with a circle or a helix ?

Apparently with a circle or helix the horizon stays perfectly straight.

To be honest I have only seen this problem when i do WIDE PANORAMA PHOTO. But have not tested the Mini 2 that much since I got it at xmas beacuse of cold and windy conditions here.

The repair went really quickly so thats great. After a week it has been returned to me from Holland. But to be told "there is no problem" when there is a problem is not so good.

Anyway I hope the change of gimbal axis arm makes a difference. Ill test it when I get it back
2021-3-25
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-25 07:24
To be honest I have only seen this problem when i do WIDE PANORAMA PHOTO. But have not tested the Mini 2 that much since I got it at xmas beacuse of cold and windy conditions here.

The repair went really quickly so thats great. After a week it has been returned to me from Holland. But to be told "there is no problem" when there is a problem is not so good.

Keep us posted please. And show us a couple more pictures of your beautiful county
2021-3-26
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I hope dji can take a look about this since a lot of people has this issues in wide angle panorama. (other forums)
Using the fly app 1.3.0 the problem is the same. Stitching done by the fly app shows a small curved horizon, but stitched with for example adobe lightroom/photoshop or kolor autopano giga it's shows a more curved horizon.

2021-3-28
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-28 23:09
I hope dji can take a look about this since a lot of people has this issues in wide angle panorama. (other forums)
Using the fly app 1.3.0 the problem is the same. Stitching done by the fly app shows a small curved horizon, but stitched with for example adobe lightroom/photoshop or kolor autopano giga it's shows a more curved horizon.

I will return my mini 2 today to the store where I have my warranty.
I wonder how long it will be gone for analysis and repair.
Or that DJI recognizes that there is a technical problem..

In the meantime I am obliged to buy a new one as it is part of my income with aerial photography within the city limits. A few weeks without a light 250 gram drone costs me more.

I cannot sell tilted horizon photos.
Correcting with Photoshop is an option but not the purpose of this drone.
2021-3-30
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

E.W. Posted at 3-30 00:06
I will return my mini 2 today to the store where I have my warranty.
I wonder how long it will be gone for analysis and repair.
Or that DJI recognizes that there is a technical problem..

I got my Mini 2 back from Holland a few days ago. It was a very quick turnaround to be fair. But as i said before first they said there was no fault with it. When I then supplied a sloping horizon photo they said they would change the gimbal arm. When I got the drone back it looked like they gave me a new one BUT it is exacly the same problem with sloping horizon in wide panorama mode..

So my questions is this! WHY DID I HAVE TO SEND IT IN??

Did Dji not understand the problem?

Is this the same on all Mini2 drones?

The drone stitches the image through the app (why through the app?) and get an ok image but if you want to use the RAW images (and why would you settle for the jpegs when you have RAW??) and stitch through Lightroom you end up with a curved horizon.

So this ruins wide panorama for me. My clear favourite of the 3 panorama modes.

2021-4-2
Use props
noxo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137503 ft
Finland

Same thing on my brand new Mini 2. It's clearly software problem / feature in wide panorama  mode.

The panoramas stitched by DJI Fly app have the horizon tilt compensated. But then the set of 9 JPEGs for same panorama have have the tilt - which you would then need to manually compensate in "Photoshop".

Looks like some sort of timing issue in drones firmware, that picture is taken before gimbal is in sync. Anyway I think DJI is aware of it, because picture produced by Fly App is in properly compensated.
2021-4-2
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 4-2 05:25
I got my Mini 2 back from Holland a few days ago. It was a very quick turnaround to be fair. But as i said before first they said there was no fault with it. When I then supplied a sloping horizon photo they said they would change the gimbal arm. When I got the drone back it looked like they gave me a new one BUT it is exacly the same problem with sloping horizon in wide panorama mode..

So my questions is this! WHY DID I HAVE TO SEND IT IN??

Sounds Annoying. I know the feeling..

Even with the new gilbal arm the problem is not solved?

I don't use panorama function with
my MIni 2 but all photos and movies are not straight.
when I hover and turn 360 ', the horizon is swinging from left to right. The higher I fly the greater the deviation.

Last week the drone was sent to DJI.
My provider said 5 to 7 weeks.
I can't wait for that because of my aerial photography assignments, so I bought a new one right away.

Unfortunately the weather is not suitable for flying and testing the drone.
2021-4-8
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

2021-4-8
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

SKY KOREA Posted at 2-11 23:47
Smaller drones such as the mavic air or the mini series have a very fragile gimbal, which means the gimbal can be (slightly) damaged just by touching the gimbal. Because of this, it is nearly impossible to move the gimbal to a perfectly horizontal state

"Just by touching the gimbal it's getting damaged"?

I agree, of course we have to be careful.
But with all the respect for you,  what you describe comes across as a bit of nonsense to me.

My old mav-mini fell straight from the sky 35 meters down and hit the beach with a loud bang.
It even bounced and landed  the second time on his back..

Charged battery placed and it functioned again without any problem, no negative effect on the gimbal. Just a straight horizon.  I think the impact of the crash is worse than 'just by touching' the gimbal ?

Our 'group' flys with about 12 DJI drones, including a couple Mav-Mini and mini's 2  
The all work perfect.  Except one Mini 2 got a horizon tilt problem.  
2021-4-8
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

noxo Posted at 4-2 09:21
Same thing on my brand new Mini 2. It's clearly software problem / feature in wide panorama  mode.

The panoramas stitched by DJI Fly app have the horizon tilt compensated. But then the set of 9 JPEGs for same panorama have have the tilt - which you would then need to manually compensate in "Photoshop".

Last week, After 2 weeks I turned my Mini 2 in for the tilt problem..
I received a package in the mail with a brand new mini 2.  
"Replacement by warranty without cost"   
I did not have a DJI Care assurance.

Unfortunately no information  what was wrong with the tilt problem mini 2.

2021-4-18
Use props
djiuser_7xiGgkD40In8
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have the same problem with the wide panorama (3x3 images). The problem is on both Mavic Air 2 and also DJI Mini 2.
My workaround on Air 2 is to have camera point straight forward when triggering panorama. When I point it even slightly down, the result is that the side images are not straight.
I dont have a workaround for Mini2 .. as it seems it's not able to point the camera upwards as much as Air 2 .. and so when I take the panorama, instead of the first photo being straight the way I set it up, the drone points it slightly down, and the result when I stich those images in lightroom is curved horizon.

Dji Air (1) did not have that issue and horizon was always level.

I believe this is a software issue, but as this is what DJI's stitching software works with, they have no interest to provide us a solution that would work with other stiching software, such as lightroom and photoshop. This has been an issue since they released Air 2, so more than a year ago, and no change or even confirmation that I can see .. from what I read online, they ask for people to send in the drone, like they are not able to test with theirs.
2021-4-19
Use props
djiuser_7xiGgkD40In8
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Also, there is no issue when taking 3x3 photos for panorama manually by rotating drone / gimbal and taking photos one by one .. so this is not a hardware limitation. But it's very annoying to have to do it manually.
I think DJI Go 4 had the expected implementation (Air 1), but DJI Fly App has strange unwanted implementation (Air 2, Mini 2). I wish I could use DJI Go 4 with those two drones for this reason alone.
2021-4-19
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

djiuser_7xiGgkD40In8 Posted at 4-19 13:18
I have the same problem with the wide panorama (3x3 images). The problem is on both Mavic Air 2 and also DJI Mini 2.
My workaround on Air 2 is to have camera point straight forward when triggering panorama. When I point it even slightly down, the result is that the side images are not straight.
I dont have a workaround for Mini2 .. as it seems it's not able to point the camera upwards as much as Air 2 .. and so when I take the panorama, instead of the first photo being straight the way I set it up, the drone points it slightly down, and the result when I stich those images in lightroom is curved horizon.

But why did DJI not just tell me this is the way this drone works rather than have me go through months of talks to support and then having to send the drone from sweden to holland and back if there was NOTHING wrong with it??

Why not just say that this is a limitation with the Mini 2 and spare me months of trouble???

2021-4-19
Use props
djiuser_7xiGgkD40In8
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I suspect, as is the often the case, that the people providing the support have limited knowledge in the area, and simply have no idea about what is expected and what is not. And you were given generic response - send it in, we will have a look.
2021-4-20
Use props
Invisible
lvl.1

Canada

This is my 3rd Mini 2. My first one was serviced under warranty for an onboard charging issue. My replacement Mini 2 (different serial number) came with this exact same camera level issue you have while filming or while taking pictures. It had a continuous need for compas calibration so I sent it back for repairs. Just received a “new” mini 2 and guess what, same camera level problem.  DJI has a serious problem with their gimble level issue. I keep manually calibrating the level of the camera gimble, it gets really frustrating. My Mavic Air 2 is rock solid and has no issues what so ever.
2021-4-20
Use props
Invisible
lvl.1

Canada

djiuser_aWXRaVJGrRnR Posted at 3-9 09:54
Hi fellow pilots
I see several mini 2 gimbal tilting issues on the web and YT.
Unfortunately confirmed that I am not the only one.

Yep, this is my 3rd Mini 2 and have the same problem even after returning for warranty repair. Hoping for a software fix.
2021-4-20
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

Invisible Posted at 4-20 15:14
Yep, this is my 3rd Mini 2 and have the same problem even after returning for warranty repair. Hoping for a software fix.

Strange story. very frustrating.

My mini 2 did fine at first. until an update.
Then came the horizon tilt problem.

Discussed the problem and returned it - for repair - to the store where I bought it.

10 days later I received a new one under warranty.
Free of charge. I did not have DJI care insurance.

This new Mini 2 works perfectly, no horizontal deviation or tilt. Up to 120 meters perfectly straight horizon.
While flying - in any flight mode - and hovering at any height up to 120 meters. As it should be.

Apparently resellers give a better guarantee than DJI itself?
2021-4-29
Use props
djiuser_7xiGgkD40In8
lvl.1
United Kingdom

E.W. Posted at 4-29 04:26
Strange story. very frustrating.

My mini 2 did fine at first. until an update.

This topic discussed different issue. Normal photos all have straight horizon. But when doing the 3x3 panorama, the size photos don't. But that is a software decision, and not a bug. Even though it stops us from making decent panoramas like with Air 1/2 and other drones using Lightroom / Photoshop.
2021-4-29
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

You're right.

Sorry for the confusion of various tilt issues that are mixed up in this topic.

Quite interesting anyway
2021-5-1
Use props
djiuser_El6lPxkduAVb
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Same thing brand new Air 2s not leveling it self!!!
2021-6-13
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

djiuser_El6lPxkduAVb Posted at 6-13 09:44
Same thing brand new Air 2s not leveling it self!!!

Horizon - or panorama problem?

A new model with the same malfunction? That's a bit remarkable.
2021-6-14
Use props
djiuser_05k0FHsDFzQi
lvl.2
Argentina

just wanted to report that I am having similar issues, I work in IT and the impression is that the fault is related to the algorithm that fine tunes the IMU data to figure out the horizontal plane while in flight, so basically maybe fixable by firmware update. I guess maybe there is some A.I. related complexity for this issue/fix.
2021-6-22
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

djiuser_05k0FHsDFzQi Posted at 6-22 15:08
just wanted to report that I am having similar issues, I work in IT and the impression is that the fault is related to the algorithm that fine tunes the IMU data to figure out the horizontal plane while in flight, so basically maybe fixable by firmware update. I guess maybe there is some A.I. related complexity for this issue/fix.

I don't know much about IT, but I can follow your explanation a bit.

What I wonder about it and my question to you -

why only 1 out of 4  ( of our own ) mini2s showed the horizon tilt problem ?
If it's a programming error, shouldn't all mini2s function the same ?
2021-6-25
Use props
djiuser_05k0FHsDFzQi
lvl.2
Argentina

E.W. Posted at 6-25 13:29
I don't know much about IT, but I can follow your explanation a bit.

What I wonder about it and my question to you -

if only 1 out of 4 drones showed the horizon tilt problem then it is very unlikely it is a software problem and I am royally screwed as I live in Argentina and there is NO WAY I am going to have it replaced
2021-7-4
Use props
E.W.
lvl.1
Netherlands

djiuser_05k0FHsDFzQi Posted at 7-4 11:17
if only 1 out of 4 drones showed the horizon tilt problem then it is very unlikely it is a software problem and I am royally screwed as I live in Argentina and there is NO WAY I am going to have it replaced

Did you order your drone at DJI or via a reseller / drone shop ?

I got a replacement, no questions asked at the reseller after inspection.
2021-7-9
Use props
Victor_djimini2
lvl.1

France

hi! I have exactly the same problem as you. Have you found a solution?
2021-12-14
Use props
Victor_djimini2
lvl.1

France

2021-12-14
Use props
Victor_djimini2
lvl.1

France

my drone is brand new, and unlike you, it does this to me in any mode. even for videos. at the start of the video the horizon is straight, but gradually it tilts ...
2021-12-14
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

Victor_djimini2 Posted at 12-14 19:36
hi! I have exactly the same problem as you. Have you found a solution?

Hi

In my case i dont think that the tilting horiz in wide panorama photo mode is a fault.
Thats just the way mini 2 works as it stitches the image fine to jpg.

The problem is when u want to do the stitching your self using raw-format.. u then
have to warp the image in photoshop afterwards.

But in all other modes and for filming I have a straight horizon.

In your case did u calibrate the gimbal? If that does not work you probably have to send it in to dji
for replacement or repair. I dont know where in the world you are but it takes a looong
time unfortunately if you are in europe.

In my case I sent the drone in and it was returned exactly the same..... A waste of time as my problem was not a fault.... I wish they could have informed me of that before I sent it in but the support never seemed to understand what my problem was.....
2021-12-14
Use props
Victor_djimini2
lvl.1

France

Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes everything is set correctly.
I calibrated the IMU, everything is ok in my settings. But I don't know why he's doing this.
You are right on one point, it is that in AEB mode, the problem is not serious because with the straightening of the geometry in Photoshop, the problem disappears.
By cons for the video, nothing to do. Automatic stabilization in post production is not enough.
I looked on YouTube, there are some videos that explain how to fix the problem. (adjustment of the platform manually) but I doubt the effectiveness of the adjustment. Thank you very much ! (sorry for the poor english, I'm from France, translating with Goolge.)
2021-12-15
Use props
twum
New
Flight distance : 21033 ft
Cyprus

tbny Posted at 2021-3-9 10:18

Hi,
So yesterday I wanted to do a sunset Wide Angle Pano and I realized the horizon was slanted on the right and left sides. When I joined the images in LR, I get a kind of curved horizon. I looked at the image in the fly app and there the horizon seems horizontal, but the other parts of the image look stretched out.

So I came to look online if it was an issue and if there is a fix and come across your post above and this whole thread. So indeed, I'm having the same issue. Only with Wide Angle Panorama shots. Normal photos, Sphere and 180 Panoramas are fine.
2022-1-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules