Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI MINI 2 PROBLEM Horizon not level
123Next >
17380 85 2021-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

I just got my DJI Mini 2 for xmas and I really like it but there is a problem.

When I use the WIDE-ANGLE PANORAMA MODE it gives me a sloping horizon in the left and right images (see example).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. For me as far as I have tested it only occurs when using the wide-angle panorama mode that creates a series of 9 images.

On my old Mavic Air the horizon was always straight and when stitching the images in other applications I always got a good result. Now I get a bent horizon.

I have talked to support and I have calibrated the gimbal and have the latest firmware. They keep sending me to different departments and requiring me to send the same information again and again. It is very frustrating and I would like to know if this is a fault in the Mini 2 or if its a limitation in the drone.

Tobias

DJI_0004 small.jpg
DJI_0008 small.jpg
2021-2-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Was there wind?  This can cause the drone to shift attitude to maintain a hover location.  The reason why I ask is that horizon tilts in opposite direction in the photos.  Possibly gust are moving the gamble or the attitude is rapidly shifting to compensate for the wind.
2021-2-8
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

JohnLietzke Posted at 2-8 10:05
Was there wind?  This can cause the drone to shift attitude to maintain a hover location.  The reason why I ask is that horizon tilts in opposite direction in the photos.  Possibly gust are moving the gamble or the attitude is rapidly shifting to compensate for the wind.

Hi

No no wind to speak of and I have tried in several conditions. Its only when doing the Wide Panorama option this happens. My Mavic Air never did this in any conditions so it must be a gimbal problem is my guess. Does this happen to other Mini 2 owners I wonder?

T/
2021-2-8
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

JohnLietzke Posted at 2-8 10:05

The reason the horizon are tilting in different directions is that one is taken from the right hand side images and the other from the left out of the 9 the drone takes.
DJI_0001 small.jpg
DJI_0002 small.jpg
DJI_0003 small.jpg
DJI_0004 small.jpg
DJI_0005 small.jpg
DJI_0006 small.jpg
DJI_0007 small.jpg
DJI_0008 small.jpg
DJI_0009 small.jpg
2021-2-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

tbny Posted at 2-8 10:36
The reason the horizon are tilting in different directions is that one is taken from the right hand side images and the other from the left out of the 9 the drone takes.

Thanks for the clarification on the environmental conditions.  Hopefully the additional photos will help resolve your problem.  
2021-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tobias. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what happened to your drone prior to experience this issue? Did your DJI Mini 2 experienced any hard landing or a crash before and can you please try to recalibrate the gimbal of the said DJI Drone to see if there would be some changes? Please keep us posted fro further assistance. Thank you.
2021-2-8
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-8 20:57
Hello there Tobias. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what happened to your drone prior to experience this issue? Did your DJI Mini 2 experienced any hard landing or a crash before and can you please try to recalibrate the gimbal of the said DJI Drone to see if there would be some changes? Please keep us posted fro further assistance. Thank you.

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply.

This a brand new drone. I have only had it in the air about 4 times since I got it at xmas. Its fully updated and calibrated as suggested to me by dji support. It has had no crashes or rough landings and its been used very little. This issue occured the very first time I used the drone. It ONLY happens when I use the photo WIDE-ANGLE Panorama option (3x3 images).

Is this a fault?  If so how do I return my drone for either a refund or a replacement?

Regards

Tobias

2021-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

tbny Posted at 2-9 00:30
Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply.

Hi there Tobias. Thank you for the reply and for the given update. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist your on this matter. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for understanding.
2021-2-9
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I had the same in app version 1.2.2
2021-2-10
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-9 23:05
Hi there Tobias. Thank you for the reply and for the given update. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist your on this matter. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for understanding.

Hi Stephen

I have already contacted the DJI support team but its taking very long time. Thats why Im posting on the forum to see if other people have similar experiences.

Thanks

Tobias
2021-2-10
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 2-10 00:28
I had the same in app version 1.2.2

Hi

Thats interesting.

Did u have general gimbal problems or just in the wide panorama photo mode?

I have App version 1.2.1 which is the latest app for Android.

/Tobias
2021-2-10
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

only in the wide panorama , look like it's a bug photo, 3,4,8 and 9
2021-2-10
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Maybe more people can test this out
2021-2-10
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 2-10 10:25
Maybe more people can test this out

Hi

Yes it would be good if more people could see if their Mini 2 does the same thing!

Did you get yours sorted out or does it still do this?

T/
2021-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

tbny Posted at 2-10 08:36
Hi Stephen

I have already contacted the DJI support team but its taking very long time. Thats why Im posting on the forum to see if other people have similar experiences.

Hi there Tobias. Thank you for the reply and it is good to know that you have already contacted DJI Support with regards to this matter. Rest assured that our DJI support team will do there best to to fix and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2021-2-11
Use props
SKY KOREA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

Smaller drones such as the mavic air or the mini series have a very fragile gimbal, which means the gimbal can be (slightly) damaged just by touching the gimbal. Because of this, it is nearly impossible to move the gimbal to a perfectly horizontal state
2021-2-11
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

SKY KOREA Posted at 2-11 23:47
Smaller drones such as the mavic air or the mini series have a very fragile gimbal, which means the gimbal can be (slightly) damaged just by touching the gimbal. Because of this, it is nearly impossible to move the gimbal to a perfectly horizontal state

Hi

I never had this issue with my Mavic Air. That was always horizontal. With a similar small gimbal.

And as you can see from my images we are not talking about slightly off but a big difference.
The thing is that the angles are the same in the left hand and right hand images which to me suggest a built in limitation in the gimbal.

And if there was any damage to the gimbal I would presume that there would a constant problem with the gimbal not being horizontal. As I said this issue ONLY occurs when I use the wide-panorama photo mode.
2021-2-12
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

SKY KOREA Posted at 2-11 23:47

Whaaat???? )))))

Man, there is no such thing...a product is made in order to resist for the purpose is made...How do you change the filters of this drones? In surgery room at hospital? )))
I have seen at Mini 2 that the remote have the plastic more low quality than MA2 remote, they wanted to get low cost, ok, but this is not our concern...It must work as specified...or stop selling it.

Related to this problem, I believe is a software issue, try from another platform...(if you have IOS, try Android, and vice-versa)....I will experiment on it when I will need to put Mini 2 in air, at this point MA2 is making the hard work...and see what is the result...
But from my consideration, if that is a limitation of the drone, it goes instantly back at dealer for a full refund, as I don't care about limitations that are not presented from beginning at acquisition
2021-2-12
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-12 06:00
Whaaat???? )))))

Man, there is no such thing...a product is made in order to resist for the purpose is made...How do you change the filters of this drones? In surgery room at hospital? )))

Hi

Yes that is what I am trying to find out from DJI.

Is this a fault or is it just the way this drone works?

If it is a fault Id like to return my drone or get it fixed.

The panoramas on the Mini 2 are for some strange reason not stored on the memory card as in previous drones (spark/air) but u have to go into the app and click them there and they will then be stored on your phone.

The stitched panorama looks ok but if I want to use the raw files and stitch the image in lightroom the tilting horizon makes it less smooth.
2021-2-14
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

tbny Posted at 2-14 03:33
Hi

Yes that is what I am trying to find out from DJI.

Strange...all photos must be stored on SD card, panorama included...I will check on my Mini2 next days...as I do not usually use panorama....
If you refer at fact that panorama photos are stored as separate files and you need to combine them in Adobe manually, this usually can be easily made in Lightroom...but cannot say until I check, as I said, not using panorama.
Also a recommendation for you: try and take a 360 photo, than use any 360 software from Qoocam or Theta and save what you want, at the settings you want...you can save panorama, different angle photos, with or without zooming in or out, all from a 360 photo...
Cheers.
2021-2-19
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-19 00:22
Strange...all photos must be stored on SD card, panorama included...I will check on my Mini2 next days...as I do not usually use panorama....
If you refer at fact that panorama photos are stored as separate files and you need to combine them in Adobe manually, this usually can be easily made in Lightroom...but cannot say until I check, as I said, not using panorama.
Also a recommendation for you: try and take a 360 photo, than use any 360 software from Qoocam or Theta and save what you want, at the settings you want...you can save panorama, different angle photos, with or without zooming in or out, all from a 360 photo...

Hi

The Mini 2 does not store the stitched panoramas on the sd card. You have to go into the app. stitch them there and then download it from your phone. The stitched version looks fine with a straight horizon but i prefer to stitch the raw files manually for more control.

But because of the sloping horizon the result in Lightroom can vary.

Yes I could take 360 but it takes a lot longer time. The wide panorama function is my favourite and is quite fast. Also fast to stitch. On my old Mavic Air the horizon was always straight when using this function so no problem.
2021-2-19
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

I will try in weekend and will give you a feedback.
2021-2-19
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-19 01:18
I will try in weekend and will give you a feedback.

Thanks
Will be interesting to see how it works for you
2021-2-19
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Seems that only at WIDE Panorama is making this problem...I have tested it today and is looking as it is angled...

2021-2-20
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-20 06:59
Seems that only at WIDE Panorama is making this problem...I have tested it today and is looking as it is angled...
[view_image]
[view_image]

Hi

Yes thats the same as I have it. It seems to be the normal way for Mini 2. My Mavic Air did not have this.
Have you tried to stitch these photos in Lightroom? I dont get e great result.
2021-2-21
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

tbny Posted at 2-21 08:22
Hi

Yes thats the same as I have it. It seems to be the normal way for Mini 2. My Mavic Air did not have this.

No, as I don't work with Wide panorama...But for sure you will get a crop at this...
2021-2-22
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-22 10:15
No, as I don't work with Wide panorama...But for sure you will get a crop at this...

Yes but not always with a straight horizon
2021-2-22
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Tested again with 1.2.4, still happen in wide panorama, sphere and 180 are good
2021-2-26
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 2-26 05:18
Tested again with 1.2.4, still happen in wide panorama, sphere and 180 are good

Hi

Yeah for me the other panorama modes are fine too.

I run latest app for android.

2021-2-26
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

tbny Posted at 2-26 05:21
Hi

Yeah for me the other panorama modes are fine too.

Hi

Just for information I have been told by DJI to send in my mini 2 for repairs in regards to the sloping horizon issue.

But since you have it as well Im wondering if this is standard on all Mini 2 drones?
2021-3-5
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

tbny Posted at 3-5 02:36
Hi

Just for information I have been told by DJI to send in my mini 2 for repairs in regards to the sloping horizon issue.

Probably is more easy for them to ask you this instead of thinking...Brain needs proteins...and so on...
As all here have the same problem, is clear that is a software problem...Panorama is working, so is all about how the image is composed and saved...
My opinion is that you will waste time and money on a useless sending of the drone to DJI...
Let's push them to test their own drones there, as this is a problem with all batch, or is a soft problem.
2021-3-5
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 3-5 02:41
Probably is more easy for them to ask you this instead of thinking...Brain needs proteins...and so on...
As all here have the same problem, is clear that is a software problem...Panorama is working, so is all about how the image is composed and saved...
My opinion is that you will waste time and money on a useless sending of the drone to DJI...

Hi

So you have the same issue using wide panorama mode?

It could be a software problem or a physical gimbal problem who knows?

That is just what I was wondering. If everyone with a mini 2 has the same issue why should I send in my drone? Considering that it has taken 3 months from contacting support until they ask me to send in the drone who knows how long it will take for me to get it back?
2021-3-5
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Still the same with new firmware and 1.30 fly app
I notice that the mini 2 taken the photo's to fast after each other, so the drone is turning into new position and the photo is already taken before gimbal is stable

2021-3-5
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-5 06:11
I notice that the mini 2 taken the photo's to fast after each other, so the drone is turning into new position and the photo is already taken before gimbal is stable
[view_image]

So mabe its a software issue? In that case why should I leave in my drone for months of service??
2021-3-5
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-5 06:11
[view_image]

Have u contacted dji about this issue? Would be interesting to hear
2021-3-5
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-5 06:20
So mabe its a software issue? In that case why should I leave in my drone for months of service??

I think so , I hope more people can test this out and report.
2021-3-8
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Still waiting for others to comply.
2021-3-9
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-9 01:14
Still waiting for others to comply.

yes it would be great if a few more Mini 2 owners could test out the wide panorama mode and see if this is a common issue
2021-3-9
Use props
djiuser_aWXRaVJGrRnR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136089 ft
Netherlands

tbny Posted at 3-9 02:29
yes it would be great if a few more Mini 2 owners could test out the wide panorama mode and see if this is a common issue

Hi fellow pilots
I see several mini 2 gimbal tilting issues on the web and YT.
Unfortunately confirmed that I am not the only one.

My 5 week old mini 2 is also experiencing a horizon gimbal tilt issue.

This happens during filming and photo shooting.
When I hover the drone and turn 45" to the left, the horizon moves up on the right side.
When I turn 45" to the right, the horizon moves up on the left.
Back to center, the horizon is level again.
While flying the same problem remains and the image remains skewed This happens in all all flight modes C N & S.
Latest firmware installed. Gibal EMU and compass calibrated again, no improvement.
With iPhone's 5s- 7 Plus - 8 and iPad mini the same result.

We have two mini 2. We had those do the same thing simultaneously. Flight conditions good - Artificial horizon indicator shows stable flat position of drone. One is perfectly horizontal, the other gives a tilded image as described above.
Temperature of the outside air and or batteries is proven nonsense in this regard

Don't know what causes it.  What I do know is it is extremely annoying.

Anyone ?
2021-3-9
Use props
tbny
lvl.2
Sweden

djiuser_aWXRaVJGrRnR Posted at 3-9 09:54
Hi fellow pilots
I see several mini 2 gimbal tilting issues on the web and YT.
Unfortunately confirmed that I am not the only one.

Very interesting. I have not had time to fly and film too much since the weather here has been supercold and snowy so have not had time to test everything with the Mini 2. Its the wide angle panorama mode that I know for sure gives a sloping horizon in the individual images. (not center images). Which corresponds with what you were saying about 45" left and right problem.

Mabe its an indication that some Mini 2s come with a faulty gimbal rather than a software issue? As said before dji has asked me to send in my Mini 2. I guess I should do that but Im afraid it will take a very long time to get it back....
2021-3-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules