White balance, ISO and shutter speed settings using ND filters
3865 10 2021-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Hello!

Quite soon after I got my Pocket 2, I also bought myself a 6-pack set of PolarPro Polarizer and ND Filters (ND4-ND64). I am still quite a newcomer when it comes to using ND filters and polarizers with cameras (both photo- and videography), and I'm still a bit confused about the settings concerning the ISO and shutter speeds. As far as I have understood, when, for instance, I am shooting video inside a reasonably-lit (normal roof lamps, some light spots such as table lamps etc.) house at 1080p30fps, I should be setting the shutter at 1/60 and the ISO setting should not be more than 400, and I either should be using no filter or if I use, it shouldn't be darker than ND4. However, when I tried using these settings, it seems like the material got somewhat underexposed. While in theory, raising the ISO number could ease the problem, it also introduces noise and graininess into the picture the higher the number is. I also remember hearing somewhere that ISO exposures exceeding 1600 should never be used.

I feel a tad stupid pondering these settings, and I haven't even yet changed much of the white balance settings. So is there some kind of for-dummies guide somewhere to consult, to see when and which kind of settings and filters to use for general use?

I mostly shoot at 1080p30, as I want to have the HQ enabled and I currently don't have any 4K monitors and projectors. Also, as far as I have understood, 1080p is still fully acceptable quality for YouTube use (which will be my main channel for recording and releasing video, besides having the files on my computer).

Don't know if this is a dumb question, but any help would be appreciated :-)

2021-2-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

It definitely is not a dump question, and here is a simple guide:

The "N" in ND filter suggests that they should not affect the white balance, as they should not alter the color in any way. So no need to worry about white balance as long as you have proper ones. When it comes to Iso, if you are using anything but the lowest, then you are using the ND filters wrong

The whole idea behind the ND filter is simple: You set and lock your shutter speed at double your frame rate which would be 60 in your case since you shoot at 30fps. Even when you drop your Iso to the lowest possible setting you might end up with an over exposed image because 1/60 is quite a long exposure time and you cannot compensate for it with the aperture (as it is fixed). This is the only scenario you need the ND filters. You add ND filters to cut down the light and prevent over exposure. That's it If the image is dark or you need to raise the Iso, you are using too high of an ND filter.

Hope this helps,
2021-2-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 2-9 12:51
It definitely is not a dump question, and here is a simple guide:

The "N" in ND filter suggests that they should not affect the white balance, as they should not alter the color in any way. So no need to worry about white balance as long as you have proper ones. When it comes to Iso, if you are using anything but the lowest, then you are using the ND filters wrong  

Thank you for your kind words and advice. Guess I ought to practice a little using these tips.

Any further possible tips will be appreciated. Still a bit timid about using manual settings, but probably would get better results, and on the other hand I'm wondering if using the ND filters would lose their point if I kept it all automatic. But I will practise and see if my results will get better.
2021-2-9
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Imo only 4k because the hd1080 looks bad at all iso settings.  Use 30 shutter instead of 60 unless 60 is a must for smooth motion. Use Neat Video for clean up and a little sharpening.  Its the best.  Good luck.
2021-2-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

HGDC84 Posted at 2-9 15:55
Thank you for your kind words and advice. Guess I ought to practice a little using these tips.

Any further possible tips will be appreciated. Still a bit timid about using manual settings, but probably would get better results, and on the other hand I'm wondering if using the ND filters would lose their point if I kept it all automatic. But I will practise and see if my results will get better.

You are welcome

If you limit your Iso to the minimum you can use them on Auto; the camera will try to combat the decreased light by dropping the shutter speed; although it will be jumping up and down a bit and you probably will never get the exact speed you want (2 times the frame rate, also called the 180 degree rule, is considered to be the most perceptually pleasant).

If you don't limit your Iso, at one point the camera will start bumping  it up instead of lowering the shutter speed, and that is something nobody wants

In the end if you don't have fast motion in your footage, you can get away with high shutter speeds; so you won't need ND filters at all. Any fast motion (including the camera movement), and the footage will look unnatural/jittery with high shutter speeds.
2021-2-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blellow Posted at 2-9 16:54
Imo only 4k because the hd1080 looks bad at all iso settings.  Use 30 shutter instead of 60 unless 60 is a must for smooth motion. Use Neat Video for clean up and a little sharpening.  Its the best.  Good luck.
Thank you for your opinion on the matter.

I could do some comparison to see whether 4K will really look better. I just first thought it would be pointless to shoot 4K if one doesn't have a 4K monitor to see the results in their meant resolution. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that many YouTube users already do use 4K to watch the videos.

As for the Neat Video etc., I assume you mean using those settings in post-processing (editing on PC or other external device?) Or are you talking about some settings on Pocket 2 I am not aware of yet? If you talk about post-processing, do you mean some specific video editing software?
2021-2-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 2-9 17:14
You are welcome

If you limit your Iso to the minimum you can use them on Auto; the camera will try to combat the decreased light by dropping the shutter speed; although it will be jumping up and down a bit and you probably will never get the exact speed you want (2 times the frame rate, also called the 180 degree rule, is considered to be the most perceptually pleasant).

That's good to know, not completely certain yet how much fast movements my videos will have (probably occasionally something, but not on a regular basis). I'll see where I will get with some practice :-)
2021-2-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Have been keeping on experimenting with the Pocket 2 and the filters. Still a bit uncertain on some situations.

For instance, the shutter speeds are still a bit of a mystery to me. Recently, I have been ending up in situations where either the background is overexposed or the subject has been too dark. This has occurred even when I haven't been shooting against a light source. Is it that I just need to use an external spotlight aimed at the subject to lessen the contrast between the fore- and background, or are there some settings that could help the issue without additional lighting?

Also, when I recently shot a clip using ISO 100, at 30fps, with shutter speed 1/60, with ND32 filter (on a bright sunny day, using the Pocket 2 as a dash cam), I think the motion of other cars and the signs I passed by still looked occasionally jerky. Not sure if it was about the camera possibly overheating (it did disconnect the DIA handle after a while) thus affecting the fluidity of recording, or that I should have had used other kind of settings. For instance, would it have been better to use shutter speed that was another than the 1/60?

I feel so stupid when I am confused by this
2021-6-18
Use props
Jonau
lvl.1
Australia

Hi im new to this. Somehow it tells me i can't post in the forum by making a new threat ? Not sure why.    I have just brought a brand new Dji Pocket 2 creator combo.  Today has been a very sunny summer day across my city. It was bright sunnyday with partly cloudy day.....  I went to film continuously in 4K/60 (auto) not PRO.   And as i was walking around filming non stop for 1 hour  i notice sometimes as i was filming today the actual sky felt like far too bright white... almost as if the while image was over-exposed white image.... And if i move camera around it sort of clears off or i don't no... Its like almost felt like i was filming in a cheap camera when its not.   
I was told don't use PRO because i was told that sometimes the balance of white and non white end up having to constantly change from time to time when filming. And i was told to always keep everything AUTO and in ISO800. Now i have upsolutely no idea how am i suppose to keep it as ISO800 when not using PRO on the pocket 2 ? Or does this mean i have to switch PRO in order to keep it ISO800 ? and if i get off the PRO does the ISO800 no longer exist ?  I don't even no if ISO800 is even the best or it is.... I was just told by a live streamer he has the Pocket 2 as AUTO and has the ISO800.   
I want to keep filming during the day most of the day is a very sunny day or sunny and partly cloudy. I was also told don't use PRO because it mgiht end up making things darker and sometimes brighter and ends up having to change things constantly when filming and was told for best results to keep everything AUTO. Well i have it AUTO i have not touched anything on PRO mode settings...

I have PRO off. But i don't understand why if having it AUTO will end up correcting things automatically when.... some how today as i was filming the city and buildings it sort of made the scenery far too white almost like over-exposure of the actual sky at times.. Not all the times but if there is a tree in front of me and a old building beside and i was to film the both things as i lift the camera up to the sky it sort of makes it over exposure...  But this didn't happen while i was filming the first 40minutes or so until somehow play back more then 1 hour video and after 40min in video it sort of looked over exposure when filming.. Unless the camera got tired of filming in 4k/60 as it got overheated maybe ? I kept the Pocket 2 continuesly powered using a cable with the PowerBank as i was continuesly recording with the camera.  

So i have no idea what wrong am i simply doing ? I was told keep everuthing AUTO... well thats what i did? Look forward some profetional to this will guide me as i dont want my videos to look cheap looking and out of balance colour. I was using the wide screen lens to it. No filter lenses here. Just the camera and the wide-lens that came with it. Thank you.
P.S i have plenty of filming to it as i have one of those tiny 265 or something plenty to record 4k/60 more then 1 hour or more.  

2022-1-10
Use props
chiditty
lvl.2
United States

Was doing a search and found this.  I'm definitely not a pro at video but I too having acquired a Pocket 2 and have started using ND filters.  For me, my settings are to set the shutter manually to 1/60 (I'm shooting at 30 fps) and allow the ISO go to go auto but no higher than ISO800.  From there, when I'm actually shooting the video, I basically let the ISO adjust accordingly and hope that the ISO800 limit is enough is darker conditions like when I transition from full sunlight to shade.  If you are transitioning from bright to dark often, you may want to consider getting a variable ND filter.  While your video would have to be disrupted in order for you to adjust the variability of the ND on the VND, you can fix this is post.  Also, VNDs tend to soft videos.

I'm actually looking forward to the Pocket 3 assuming that the third time around, DJI will introduce a variable f-stop which will provide even more flexibility when it comes to attaching an ND filter.
2022-3-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

chiditty Posted at 3-8 11:09
Was doing a search and found this.  I'm definitely not a pro at video but I too having acquired a Pocket 2 and have started using ND filters.  For me, my settings are to set the shutter manually to 1/60 (I'm shooting at 30 fps) and allow the ISO go to go auto but no higher than ISO800.  From there, when I'm actually shooting the video, I basically let the ISO adjust accordingly and hope that the ISO800 limit is enough is darker conditions like when I transition from full sunlight to shade.  If you are transitioning from bright to dark often, you may want to consider getting a variable ND filter.  While your video would have to be disrupted in order for you to adjust the variability of the ND on the VND, you can fix this is post.  Also, VNDs tend to soft videos.

I'm actually looking forward to the Pocket 3 assuming that the third time around, DJI will introduce a variable f-stop which will provide even more flexibility when it comes to attaching an ND filter.

Thanks for your thoughts and input, I'll have to think about the VND. Also, having a variable f-stop would certainly be an upgrade, gotta agree with that.
2022-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules