Windows 10 Won't Recognise microSD Card
7940 32 2021-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Just had my mini 2 out for a quick test as I've only got it, but having impossible time trying to transfer video files to my Windows 10 laptop. I tried the DJI Assistant 2 specifc to the mini 2, but that only allows you to export the flight log.

Exited out of Assistant and looked in Windows Explorer but no extra drives showing for the drone. Latest step was to remove the SD card from the drone and put it in an adaptor and then into the laptop, and although Windows beeps to signal that it has detected a USB device, again nothing is showing up in Windows Explorer. Nothing shows up in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' application either. The card was formatted in the drone and is a Samsung EVO Plus 128GB as suggested by DJI. I also tried the DJI WIN driver installed but Windows 10 blocks that from installing.

So what am I missing here?
2021-2-9
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Try putting one of your other sd cards inthe adapter and see if your laptop recognises that drive, then remove sd card without ejecting that drive and reinsert drone sd card back into the adaptor and see if it is recognised then.
2021-2-9
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

yogi053 Posted at 2-9 07:40
Try putting one of your other sd cards inthe adapter and see if your laptop recognises that drive, then remove sd card without ejecting that drive and reinsert drone sd card back into the adaptor and see if it is recognised then.

Used the one from my dashcam and it shows in Explorer. Removed the SD card without removing the adaptor and put in the drone card. Nothing changed in Explorer (still showing dashcam folders), so clicked on C drive and then back to SD drive, got Windows beep indicating USB connection and then SD drive disappeared. If nothing else, that also confirms that the SD adaptor is working and that the SD slot in the laptop is working.
2021-2-9
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 2-9 08:06
Used the one from my dashcam and it shows in Explorer. Removed the SD card without removing the adaptor and put in the drone card. Nothing changed in Explorer (still showing dashcam folders), so clicked on C drive and then back to SD drive, got Windows beep indicating USB connection and then SD drive disappeared. If nothing else, that also confirms that the SD adaptor is working and that the SD slot in the laptop is working.

If you leave the card in the drone and plug the drone into your PC can you see the contents of the card?
2021-2-9
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

The Rev Posted at 2-9 08:37
If you leave the card in the drone and plug the drone into your PC can you see the contents of the card?

I did have the drone connected to the laptop when I was using the DJI Assistant but it never showed anything in Windows Explorer, as I was hoping that would be a lot handier than taking the card out, putting it in an adaptor and then plugging that into the laptop, and then doing it all again in reverse back into the drone afterwards.

I have an old Windows 7 laptop that I use for car diagnostics. I'll get that in and try using that and see what happens.
2021-2-9
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

Hi  found some micro SD adapters can be a bit flaky, I use mine in a USB adapter.  But my mini 2 did kill my first SD card because it was not fast enough?
You need an SD with U1 V30 for 4k video?   
2021-2-9
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

I have just checked and pluuged the Drone into the PC expecting it to show as an extra drive but didn't show at all so have to use a card reader or transfer the files by Wi-Fi,  Im using Windows 10
2021-2-9
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

whiteghost Posted at 2-9 11:02
Hi  found some micro SD adapters can be a bit flaky, I use mine in a USB adapter.  But my mini 2 did kill my first SD card because it was not fast enough?
You need an SD with U1 V30 for 4k video?

As stated in my original post, I purchased a micro SD card specified by DJI. As for the adaptor, it's brand new, as it came with the SD card. Not only that, but to rule things out, I also used the SD adaptor I got when I bought my dashcam six years ago and it still works.

Now, as to my Windows 7 car diagnostic laptop, I was able to put the SD card in either adaptor and Windows Explorer found it on both occasions. I also connected the drone with card in it directly to the laptop and again it was visible in Windows Explorer.

I'm assuming that Windows 10 is somehow preventing the drivers being installed, as comparing both laptops when using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option, my Windows 7 laptop shows 'A9 Platform' as well as a removable drive letter. Windows 10 on the other hand shows nothing at all.
2021-2-9
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 2-9 13:42
As stated in my original post, I purchased a micro SD card specified by DJI. As for the adaptor, it's brand new, as it came with the SD card. Not only that, but to rule things out, I also used the SD adaptor I got when I bought my dashcam six years ago and it still works.

Now, as to my Windows 7 car diagnostic laptop, I was able to put the SD card in either adaptor and Windows Explorer found it on both occasions. I also connected the drone with card in it directly to the laptop and again it was visible in Windows Explorer.

Don't suppose you powered off the drone whilst it was still recording video did you?  If so you likeley corrupted the filesystem or recording.  Try popping the card back into the drone and run another video recording, stop recording and power down.
2021-2-9
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

Andy Uk Posted at 2-9 13:48
Don't suppose you powered off the drone whilst it was still recording video did you?  If so you likeley corrupted the filesystem or recording.  Try popping the card back into the drone and run another video recording, stop recording and power down.

No, stopped recording before landing.

Besides, I was able to view the card contents on my Windows 7 laptop as mentioned in my previous post both directly from the drone and also with the micro SD card in the laptop.

Since then on my Windows 10 laptop, I've uninstalled the DJI Assistant, rebooted the laptop, disabled signature enforcement, rebooted, installed DJI Assistant (that worked anyway to see the drone and export the log files). I can connect the drone or put the micro SD card in the adaptor and then into the laptop and it still doesn't show up. I've also spent hours searching through other forums for other options.

The one option I did come across that someone suggested was that Windows 10 didn't like how Apple IOS formatted cards as exFAT. I know it's not an Apple, but I may as well try formatting the card in my Windows laptop and try again, as I've run out of other options.
2021-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there steamship. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried using a different suggested SD card for to see of the issue will still persist and just a reminder to always stop the video recording before tuning off the DJI Mini 2 to void video corruption and to avoid and issues on the said drone in the future. Thank you.
2021-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

steamship Posted at 2-9 15:16
No, stopped recording before landing.

Besides, I was able to view the card contents on my Windows 7 laptop as mentioned in my previous post both directly from the drone and also with the micro SD card in the laptop.

It is not a good idea to format your SD card in another device, always do it in the aircraft. And NEVER format it in any sort of iOS device.
2021-2-9
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-9 20:31
Hello there steamship. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried using a different suggested SD card for to see of the issue will still persist and just a reminder to always stop the video recording before tuning off the DJI Mini 2 to void video corruption and to avoid and issues on the said drone in the future. Thank you.

Easier said than done in the current environment with regards to trying another compatible card. As a combination of Covid, Brexit AND living in Northern Ireland, it will take me a week to get another card (and my dashcam one is a very cheap brand not even on your list). I'm also not prepared to pay double for a card in the one or two places I can still buy them from locally just because they can price gouge now, and also to prove what exactly? I've already stated that I can read the card fine in my old Windows 7 laptop which I use for car diagnostics. The issue is with Windows 10 not recognising the card.

Also, why remind me to stop the recording prior to turning off the drone when I clearly stated that I DIDN'T do that in the first place?
2021-2-10
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

Geebax Posted at 2-9 21:57
It is not a good idea to format your SD card in another device, always do it in the aircraft. And NEVER format it in any sort of iOS device.

Haven't figured out how to quote multi posts yet, so having to reply to this one separately.

Don't have any Apple products, so no issue there. I was only quoting what I read, which mentioned it. Having gone through so many things, the issue is that Windows 10 cannot see the SD card, since my old Windows 7 laptop can, AND the card was formatted in the drone at the very start. Short of doing as DJI Stephen suggests and buying another card, I'm looking at other options I can try. As it is, what would buying another card prove exactly?
2021-2-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I know you must be very frustrated at people asking you to carry out checks you have alread completed, me included, but one more idea that I thought of just to finalise matters while you wait to get a new card.
Is there another win 10 machine handy, relative or friend, as a final test to see if it is your laptop causing the problem or just win 10 as it works in your old win 7 machine. I know grasping at straws right, but.......
2021-2-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have you tried to view the files on the SD card via the app on your mobile while connected to the drone and linked to the controller?

I have had issues in the past and by playing the files from the app on the phone the card was then readable on my iMac.

2021-2-10
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

bjr981s Posted at 2-10 03:07
Have you tried to view the files on the SD card via the app on your mobile while connected to the drone and linked to the controller?

I have had issues in the past and by playing the files from the app on the phone the card was then readable on my iMac.

I opened the gallery in the app and saw them there, but didn't view them. Was more interested in getting back inside to the heat.
2021-2-10
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

yogi053 Posted at 2-10 02:32
I know you must be very frustrated at people asking you to carry out checks you have alread completed, me included, but one more idea that I thought of just to finalise matters while you wait to get a new card.
Is there another win 10 machine handy, relative or friend, as a final test to see if it is your laptop causing the problem or just win 10 as it works in your old win 7 machine. I know grasping at straws right, but.......

Appreciate the comment and not grasping at straws at all.

I'm been wondering if it was somehow my build of Windows 10 on this laptop causing the issue, so have been Googling like mad, especially since Windows 10 can see/read exFAT. After must faffing around, I've finally come up with a solution to the problem, but have no idea why the card didn't work from the start. Just to recap, the card I used I nicked from my mobile phone (Android), the card being on the DJI compatible list.

When I started up the drone and connected to it with the app, it told me that the card needed formatting, which I did, but then ran into the issues of not being able to view it on Windows 10. My final solution was as follows:

1. Used free Partition Magic software to delete the partitions
2. Created a new exFAT partition and formatted it
3. Put card in drone, powered up and app told me card needed formatted
4. Did a quick 30 second video and a couple of photos
5. Put card in Windows 10 laptop and working fine.

As to why I had this issue, I have no idea, despite the card being reformatted in the drone on both occasions.
2021-2-10
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 2-10 06:32

I'm been wondering if it was somehow my build of Windows 10 on this laptop causing the issue, so have been Googling like mad, especially since Windows 10 can see/read exFAT. After must faffing around, I've finally come up with a solution to the problem, but have no idea why the card didn't work from the start. Just to recap, the card I used I nicked from my mobile phone (Android), the card being on the DJI compatible list.

Never mind, you got there in the end, well done you! Happy flying, Stay safe!
(Just got my first pfizer vaccine today.
2021-2-10
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 2-10 06:32

I'm been wondering if it was somehow my build of Windows 10 on this laptop causing the issue, so have been Googling like mad, especially since Windows 10 can see/read exFAT. After must faffing around, I've finally come up with a solution to the problem, but have no idea why the card didn't work from the start. Just to recap, the card I used I nicked from my mobile phone (Android), the card being on the DJI compatible list.

Sounds like the filesystem on the card corrupted somehow.... strange one
2021-3-12
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

One thing to try as I have just had a similar problem?  

Open windows control panel then click on Computer management,  Check if the USB/SD card shows up?

If it is there but NOT in windows, then it has not been assigned a drive letter? If you click on the drive and then change drive letter
you can assign it a letter if it does not have one? Windows will then see the drive!!

As you I don't know why this has happened could be a windows update?
2021-3-17
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

Do people here just read the thread title and offer their solution to the problem, rather than read through the actual posts?

Not including this post, I've posted a total of nine posts on just this thread giving detailed explanations of everything along the way, including my final solution six weeks ago!

Even the very last comment by 'Andy Uk' summed up the entire thread... 'Sounds like the filesystem on the card corrupted somehow.'

To summarise the entire thread, Windows 10 couldn't recognise the card the first time it was formatted in the DJI. A subsequent format resolved it. No Windows updates during the 48 hours I had the issue.
2021-3-18
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

If it's a SanDisk it doesn't surprise me!  I have RMAed 3 in the last 2 months.  They have REALLY gone down hill with quality lately.  I am switching all my cards over to Samsung, I find them MUCH more reliable,
With my most recent SanDisk, Windows would see it, but I couldn't format it or even zero it out to factory.  All the files were still present.  Not locked.  Even did FixDsk to no avail.  Garabge!
2021-3-18
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

Mhinc Posted at 3-18 03:21
If it's a SanDisk it doesn't surprise me!  I have RMAed 3 in the last 2 months.  They have REALLY gone down hill with quality lately.  I am switching all my cards over to Samsung, I find them MUCH more reliable,
With my most recent SanDisk, Windows would see it, but I couldn't format it or even zero it out to factory.  All the files were still present.  Not locked.  Even did FixDsk to no avail.  Garabge!

1'I am switching all my cards over to Samsung, I find them MUCH more reliable'

I've been using Samsung cards for years in my camera. In fact, the 64GB SD card I use in my Canon 70D is the one I got when I bought the camera back in October 2013.
2021-3-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 3-18 03:06
Do people here just read the thread title and offer their solution to the problem, rather than read through the actual posts?

Not including this post, I've posted a total of nine posts on just this thread giving detailed explanations of everything along the way, including my final solution six weeks ago!

Yup people just blunder in giving advice and don’t read  loads of stuff the worst people for this are the DJ mods

Also people who have no idea often wade in with suggestions and solutions
2021-3-19
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

steamship Posted at 3-18 07:57
1'I am switching all my cards over to Samsung, I find them MUCH more reliable'

I've been using Samsung cards for years in my camera. In fact, the 64GB SD card I use in my Canon 70D is the one I got when I bought the camera back in October 2013.

Exactly!  This!  I used SanDisk, and trusted them.  But in the last year, I have found them so absolutely unreliable, it's crazy.  A lifetime warranty ( or 3 year depending ) means nothing to me, when my Data is gone, and that warranty only includes replacement and not data recovery.  My Samsungs have NEVER let me down.  I have had arguments with people on reddit that defend SanDisk to the bitter end.  Maybe they haven't had issues, but I am sure they will.  I got with what works and what is good, and Samsung is my 100% Go to now.  I currently have about 12 SanDisk SD Cards 32s, 64s and 128s sitting here unused because I simply DO NOT trust them.
2021-3-19
Use props
SnufkinX
New
Finland

I had exactly same problem with Sandisk card, but would not necessarily blame the card. I was able to get it work by using separate partition manager software to create exFat partition on my sd card.

Now everything works fine ... pity just that I lost several raw files, which I was not able to transfer to my phone.

Based on my experience:  beware using DJI software to format sd card on the Mini2 device, as it seems not compatible with Windows 10.
2021-6-27
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Having read through the OP and various replies, I recently had a similar issue with a SanDisk 32GB SD card that became undetectable in win10 and other devices. It wasn't a particularly old or heavily used card. I emailed SanDisk and they confirmed the card had failed. They just asked for the serial number and my address and sent me a replacement within a couple of days.
I have had a Sony camera that read 1 specific card but no other. The card reader was replaced and the issue was cured.
Unless you buy from the card manufacturer or a trusted supplier, you can easily end up with a manufacturer's reject card. Firms selling cards through Amazon and similar outlets can buy up these rejects very cheaply. They should be rebranded for the performance they are actually capable of which won't be the same as it shows on the reject card. There is no incentive for those companies to do that. They just market the cards at a low price. Most of the cards will work quite well, but not perform to the manufacturers spec.
The point being, buy only from a trusted source.
SD cards are made with a larger capacity than marked on the card. Every time you format the card, the internal circuitry in the card will check for damaged areas, similar to a hard disk. The damaged section will be blocked off and a new section will become available so you have full capacity. This isn't new, but some firms who buy the reject cards have software that releases all the spare capacity so the card looks like (to a device) like it is a very high capacity one. A card that might be 32 GB suddenly looks like a 100plus GB. This is a scam that has been around for at least 5 years. If you read the Amazon sd card reviews form these unknown brands you may see complaints the card wasn't the size claimed or quickly failed etc.
I wasn't aware that Sandisk had a recent reputation for poor quality cards. I have a number of them, including Samsung and only had the one failure.

I have one question for the OP. I wonder why you use such a high capacity SD card? I ask, because 128GB card will hold about 1.5 hours of 4K video at about 100bps. That is 3 batteries worth of drone flight, at least. If you lose the drone, heaven forbid, you will also lose your earlier footage. Just curious.
2021-6-27
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

AlansDronePics Posted at 6-27 07:56
Having read through the OP and various replies, I recently had a similar issue with a SanDisk 32GB SD card that became undetectable in win10 and other devices. It wasn't a particularly old or heavily used card. I emailed SanDisk and they confirmed the card had failed. They just asked for the serial number and my address and sent me a replacement within a couple of days.
I have had a Sony camera that read 1 specific card but no other. The card reader was replaced and the issue was cured.
Unless you buy from the card manufacturer or a trusted supplier, you can easily end up with a manufacturer's reject card. Firms selling cards through Amazon and similar outlets can buy up these rejects very cheaply. They should be rebranded for the performance they are actually capable of which won't be the same as it shows on the reject card. There is no incentive for those companies to do that. They just market the cards at a low price. Most of the cards will work quite well, but not perform to the manufacturers spec.

I have one question for the OP. I wonder why you use such a high capacity SD card? I ask, because 128GB card will hold about 1.5 hours of 4K video at about 100bps. That is 3 batteries worth of drone flight, at least. If you lose the drone, heaven forbid, you will also lose your earlier footage. Just curious.

Quite simple really, cost. The equivalent 64GB card cost a couple of pound less, so why not. As for earlier footage, it's all stored on a NAS, so not a problem. In all the flights I've done, I doubt if I've even recorded 128GB's worth yet as I'm not recording all the time.
2021-6-28
Use props
djiuser_pbD4FNHv8m0h
New
Indonesia

---------------------------
2021-7-31
Use props
felixwedg
New

Canada

The only way I could get Win 10 and my Air 2S to play together is if I formatted the card with my GoPro Hero 9. The card will then be recognized by both the Drone and the OS. Formatting in the drone will not make the card invisible to Win 10 after the GoPro format, however, if you format in Win 10 and then format in the Drone, Win. 10 will no longer see the card and you will need to format in GoPro again. Here is an image of the directory structure on the card after formatting with GoPro. The drone files are inside the DCIM folder. I am using the SanDisk recommended by DJI, 128Gb. Best of luck.....
2021-11-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

teamship - GLAD you got the problem solved!  I had a similar problem, but got W-10 and SD in Adapter to make nice.  All is
doing well here, but I really can not tell you why - I tried three or four things.  Another Samsung or Sd card user.  I use a 400+GB
card in the Mini-2, because - the price was right.  Had heard a rumor about a year ago of counterfeit SD chips, hope no one gets any.
Happy flying all, lovely sun-ups and sun-downs, as well as flowers, trees, and anything else you send your drone to video.
2021-11-30
Use props
djiuser_gExzfIpIBPo9
New

United Kingdom

Hi
Coming late to this thread I had the same issue as steamship. I tried quite a few different things before I realised that the issue must lie with my trusty old Kingston card reader. I bought what was described as "Integral Micro SD USB3.0 Memory Card Reader Adapter - Up to 180MB/s Read & 130MB/s Write Speed, Compact & Ultra-sleek and compatible with micro SD, microSDHC & microSDXC" and straight away I was able to read the MicroSD card, which had been formatrted in my DJI Mini SE, on both Mac and Windows 11.
2023-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules