7147 12 2021-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2fd22fb8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88317 ft
United States

Hey Everybody!

I'm hoping to do some super-extended hyperlapses/timelapses that would exceed the Osmo Pocket 2's internal battery.  Is it possible to run it for an extended period of time using continuous power from the wall?

Thanks!
2021-2-9
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have done that using a powerbank. It worked OK for 2 hours when connected directly to the camera. When I attached the Do It All Handle to do Motionlapse using the MIMO app I got an error on the camera after approx 40 minutes"Do It All Handle overheated".
2021-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI members who have tried this setup and process can give out there best recommendation. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like powerbanks to charge your DJI Pocket 2. There is a  possibility that these charger will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said charger. In addition, using 3rd party chargers like power banks might cause damage or harm on your DJI Pocket 2and can void the warranty as well. Thank you.
2021-2-9
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen. This really is not a good response. As far as I am aware DJI do not sell a charger for the Pocket 2 but only supply a cable to connect the USB C port on the camera to a USB A port on an unspecified charger . The only specs are 5V and 2amp. THEREFORE everyone must use a THIRD PARTY Charger. You are recommending not to use a Power Bank (even if they comply with the specs of 5V 2 amp). This means users have to recharge the camera from a charger connected to a mains supply when the battery is exhausted. Don't you see that as a BIG negative?
If DJI do not test Power banks, please provide a list of mains chargers that you have tested so that users can be sure that they will not void the warranty as you have stated. I await the list with interest.
2021-2-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think the response was not entirely clear - and may have been a standard response given in respect of devices which do come with a DJI charger.  

In the past we've been told that recording and charging at the same time carries an overheat risk and is not therefore recommended.  No point in having continuous power and then have the device cut out anyway due to overheat.  As for portable charging devices, in the past the line has been that such devices have widely varying output regulation, and so that also carries a risk.  

If I were needing to do long recordings, I would do this -

- test in advance whether the overheat actually happens over the timespan you envisage (consider not stressing the device by avoiding 4K60 for instance)
- use a powerbank from a respected brand rather than something cheap and possibly nasty
- check how the powerbank behaves - some will stop outputting when the battery being charged is full and won't start again even if the device is running low.

But all that is at your own risk!
2021-2-10
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

From my tests,  yes.  If the drain is too much, it will lose power or overheat.  If the settings are only a few photos for many hours it will work. If the settings are many photos for many hours it may not work.
2021-2-10
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have now performed further testing as follows:

1) Set up a 3hr motionlapse with the Pocket 2 fitted with the Do It All handle. It was connected to the mains supply via an iPhone  plug. The camera was set up via its screen - MIMO app was not used.
Result was fine. It ran for three hours and produced a 30 sec video using an interval time of 10 seconds.The charge state of the camera was constant throughout at 38%

2) After 12 hours of the camera switched off an identical test was set up but this time the MIMO app was used to start up and monitor it.
Result - the MIMO disconnected after 40 minutes with the error shown below. The camera continued collecting data and completed the 3 hr cycle. I tried to re-connect the MIMO app 30 minutes after failure but still came up with the overheating error.

I conclude that the problem lies with the DO It All Handle not being able to cope with running the MIMO app whilst the charging cable connected for periods longer than 40 minutes. The testing was carried out indoors with an ambient temp of 21deg C.
The suggestion of a problem with the Power Bank is a "Red Herring".
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
2021-2-11
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

northaal Posted at 2-11 04:36
I have now performed further testing as follows:

1) Set up a 3hr motionlapse with the Pocket 2 fitted with the Do It All handle. It was connected to the mains supply via an iPhone  plug. The camera was set up via its screen - MIMO app was not used.
Have you tested now with newer firmware of pocket 2 & updated Mimo app, does it still limit to 40 mins & shuts down?

We can use mimo app only for starting the motionlapse/timelapse since it offers 4 waypints for motion (pocket 2 only alllows 2 waypoint) then once started we disconnect the wifi & let the pocket 2 shoot as per the motion/time set via app.
2021-3-7
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Ranjan
Thanks for your comment. The reason I was testing out the long term connection using the MIMO app remotely from the camera was to capture birds feeding in my garden. For most of the time the camera would be in standby waiting for a bird to arrive. The times I quoted was when the camera was just in standby mode. I assume that if actual video recording were taking place, the time to overheat the Do It All Handle would not be increased.
2021-3-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've been testing mine running 4K24p controlled by a phone and with a powerbank connected and got no error message, up to about 70 minutes I think,  but it did get quite warm.  It was in a Scotty Makes Stuff case also.  But that company told me that their cases dissipate heat 15 times better than air so the case shouldn't be a problem in itself.  So, maybe the overheating depends on exactly what mode the camera is running in.
2021-3-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I am wondering the same thing, tried to look for a suitable power bank but haven't found one that I know for sure to be compatible, to keep the camera rolling without shutting down in the middle of the recording and to not damage the Pocket 2.

DJI has stated that using an AC adapter while recording is not recommended due to possible overheating, so that rules that option out.

I was wondering if one of these could do the trick: https://www.anker.com/es/products/variant/powercore-metro-20,000-mah-battery/A1268H11-2

Anyone having experiences about this one?
2021-10-4
Use props
eliot_g
lvl.1
Flight distance : 268337 ft
United States

If you are only recording one photo every 30-60 seconds, will it still overheat when connect to AC power? I am looking for a camera to shoot timlapse for days at a time.
2022-4-1
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Got the PowerCore one I mentioned earlier on (the URL is not working properly, but it still can be found on the Anker website, just look for the one with 20,000 mAh capacity and fabric cover). Decided to test how long it could record when powered by that while it's in trickle charge mode. Started with the Pocket 2 at low power and started timelapse shooting. After eight hours, it was still running fine and dandy and gave up as I thought I'd probably never record that long. Not sure how long it would last overall non-stop, but for my needs, it's way more than just adequate.

EDIT: the product description says it provides +96 hours charge for most smartphones, so there certainly is enough juice for running multiple days. However, not sure about if it overheats during that time or how much the DIA Handle would make a difference.
2022-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules