Anyone else hate calibrating the compass?
2430 25 2015-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

I always feel like I'm going to drop it.  It's awkward holding it and spinning it around.

I was thinking about building a system you could hang the drone from, and spin it easily to calibrate it quickly and safely.

Thoughts?

Think a strap of nylon on some type of free spinning hook, you hold the strap and spin the quadcopter freely.
2015-7-8
Use props
dennisrogers.ih
lvl.1

New Zealand

Well I have had over 30 flights on my p3, only calibrated once. Had a p1 since first released over 200 flights only calibrated once. Had 40 flights on my p2v3+ only calibrated once. If you don't like calibrating all the time then only do it once? Why is it DJI is the only company that says to always calibrate? all the others say do it once, strange.
2015-7-8
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's when you should really be recalibrating the compass:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-9
Use props
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Never done it. Over 10 hours flying. Don't turn machine on in  close proximity of anything ferrous.
2015-7-9
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I don't understand the difficulty, the Phantom comes with some great handles to hold onto "The Landing Gear". It's quite easy really. Don't Be Afraid!
2015-7-9
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

Think you should try the method of just holding the P3 and spinning your body instead. Much easier.
2015-7-9
Use props
Mspinner1
lvl.1

United States

34 flights and i only calib twice
2015-7-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-9 18:40
Here's when you should really be recalibrating the compass:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.p ...

Thanks for that link - very informative.

Don't agree much about the beach - makes sense to keep sand and other debris out of the Phantom - but other than that. Unfortunately, about every good place around here (central Florida) to fly is surrounded by water - not just the beach - there are tons of lakes. If I execute an RTH I have to keep a very watchful eye on where the Phantom thinks is the right place to set down!
2015-7-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-9 20:15
Think you should try the method of just holding the P3 and spinning your body instead. Much easier.

Agreed - the "old" technique used for the original Phantoms showed someone holding the Phantom and rotating their entire body, then, nose down, etc.

When I tap on the "calibrate compass" in the Pilot app, it seems somewhat balky, so I started turning twice for each step. My version of the Pilot app seemed to like that better.
2015-7-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Calibrating the compass is no worse that walking around your car or truck and checking the condition of your tires before driving off into the wild blue yonder.

It's just another box to check before taking flight. Follow the process and if something were to go wrong, that base is covered.
2015-7-9
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

My main grumble is you look a complete arse while doing it.

I had a flight recently taking off from a harbour where no doubt there was a metal rebar and probably canons and canon balls from 100s of years ago used to fill it. Anyway, got above the actual water and compass error came up, quickly landed and by then there was the usual crowd of spectators interested in what I was doing. I then had to perform a compass calibration no less than 3 times moving further from the edge of this harbour as I could and each time the ever growing groups of spectators followed me.

I have only been embarrassed more when my dog bum shuffled across the park in front of a group of teenagers sitting on a bench. If you own a dog you'll know what I mean and why, if you don't you are probably better for it.

2015-7-9
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-7-9 14:27
Calibration appreciates being completed at a gentle pace... 'spinning' might not be the efficient wa ...

I totally agree with you, but from time to time it needs a good spin too.
2015-7-9
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-7-9 19:34
I don't understand the difficulty, the Phantom comes with some great handles to hold onto "The Landi ...

It always feels like I'm about to break something when I hold this thing by the landing gear. They feel so cheap.
2015-7-9
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-9 20:15

This and  Grab the legs,.,,,
2015-7-9
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

sdharris Posted at 2015-7-9 23:51

I had a flight recently taking off fro ...

Spinning does get laughs and comments but it is simple enough to do and better than toting some contraption along with you. When I show interested persons and I go through my check list, double check app settings and proceed to spin, all have said why can't you just take off….my reply, 'if you can afford to put $1300 on red 27 you can'.
2015-7-9
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

greenbean Posted at 2015-7-10 02:24
Spinning does get laughs and comments but it is simple enough to do and better than toting some co ...

As many point out, you only need to calibrate every now and then i.e. after FW update or having travelled 100+ miles. The harbourside incident is rare.

You don't calibrate before every flight do you?
2015-7-9
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

The biggest problem with calibrating the compass is that you'll look like a fruitloop if you're doing in a public space or where non-model-fliers are watching. :-)

2015-7-9
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Here's how Ty does it and the way I do it...

2015-7-9
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

sdharris Posted at 2015-7-10 03:52
As many point out, you only need to calibrate every now and then i.e. after FW update or having tr ...

I do it more often now that I have gotten warnings (though I do know it was for my proximity)….and it is part of my checklist to check values and if I think I can tighten up the tolerance I will.
2015-7-9
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Best and fastest way of compass dance is doing it above your head.
Grab both the base of the landing skids and raise above your head. Spin 360 til lights change colour. Keep it raised above your head and then drop the nose down and spin 360 again.
2015-7-9
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

sdharris Posted at 2015-7-9 23:51

I had a flight recently taking off fro ...

My suggestion is to pack up and leave when people begin to crowd around you.  You can always go back another time.  People can end up being a big distraction, which causes concern for their safety and for the safety of your bird.   
2015-7-9
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-7-10 11:36
My suggestion is to pack up and leave when people begin to crowd around you.  You can always go ba ...

I find once its n the air and you have provided a brief demonstration of how it can go up, left right, forward etc and then fly to a point its difficult to see people move away. Its less interesting when people are just looking at me holding the controller.
2015-7-9
Use props
clive.cook67
lvl.2

United Kingdom

when I do a compass calibration, I hold the phantom out level then I turn round anti clockwise 360 degrees, I then put the nose pointing down then do the same again, I have never had any problems. doing it this way the phantom is always held safe in my hands as I let my body turn not the phantom.
2015-7-10
Use props
Little132
lvl.2

United States

It's usually nice and easy. Take about 30 seconds. Just be gentle.
2015-7-10
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

hello, ill do it all the time, it is the same as pilots do the walk around there plane as a security mesure, you don,t want to lose your bird 1300,- fliing away
2015-7-10
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

hello, ill do it all the time, it is the same as pilots do the walk around there plane as a security mesure, you don,t want to lose your bird 1300,- fliing away
2015-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules