Gimbal issue? Horizon not 100% straight.
1243 8 2021-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geeforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30128 ft
Netherlands

Did a gimbal calibration, but when I make photo's in the air the horizon is not straight, a bit tilted. Has been the case since I have it, 1 month now.
After the calibration, on the ground it looks fine, but once flying, it makes these pictures.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-10 at 12.51.29 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-10 at 12.51.29 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-10 at 12.51.29.jpeg
2021-2-10
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

After observing the behavior of my drone, I find that it is completely normal considering the high sensitivity of the IMU to temperature changes. I also have a smartphone gimbal and it is similar there.
2021-2-10
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Netherlands

Well that's an answer too.  Looked at some pictures from 3 weeks ago, when the temp was about 8-10 degrees and indeed the horizon is straight in these pictures.
2021-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Geeforce. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know if your DJI Mini 2 had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened and did you noticed any error message showing on the DJI Fly application? Thank you.
2021-2-10
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-10 20:24
Hello there Geeforce. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know if your DJI Mini 2 had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened and did you noticed any error message showing on the DJI Fly application? Thank you.

Hello DJI Stephen. Thank you for your reply. I never crashed my Mini 2 or made a hard landing.

It seems I am not the only one:
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... en-hovering.103959/
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 00-straight.106428/

Could be the cold weather they said, but during my flight themperature was -0,5. So not that bad.

I looked into the logs and there were no errors.
2021-2-11
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 2-10 05:13
After observing the behavior of my drone, I find that it is completely normal considering the high sensitivity of the IMU to temperature changes. I also have a smartphone gimbal and it is similar there.

So you find normal to have a straight horizon at 10 degrees, but if you fly at 0 degrees you are OK witha tilted one? ))))))))))
Sorry, but as long as this is not specified in user manual, i cannot accept it...
Next will be what? If there are clouds on sky, your gimbal will make loops? ))))
2021-2-11
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ok, as it is about 10-15 above zero here, I tried again. And the horizon is not tilled anymore. So as other said, it could be the low temperature. Something to look at @DJI?
2021-2-23
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 2-11 03:55
So you find normal to have a straight horizon at 10 degrees, but if you fly at 0 degrees you are OK witha tilted one? ))))))))))
Sorry, but as long as this is not specified in user manual, i cannot accept it...
Next will be what? If there are clouds on sky, your gimbal will make loops? ))))

When using something is used outside the specifications there are sometimes negative consequences.
Mavic mini specs: Temperature range ; 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)
Do we like it, no. can DJI fix it? who knows.  
2021-2-23
Use props
E.W.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136089 ft
Netherlands

Geeforce Posted at 2-10 05:21
Well that's an answer too.  Looked at some pictures from 3 weeks ago, when the temp was about 8-10 degrees and indeed the horizon is straight in these pictures.

My drone had the same horizon tilt problems.
Often worse than in the photos above.
No difference in cold or warmer weather conditions.

Our drone group has 12 different DJI drones including 4 mini 2s.

After calibration we flew simultaneously and compared the results.
It turned out that only one mini 2 had the tilting problem and could not be solved by calibration.

The Mini 2 with the horizon deviation returned to the reseller for technical inspection.
Within 1 week I received a brand new one under warranty.

This new one works perfectly under any condition and temperature.
Although we don't fly in really cold weather.

I was not told if there was anything wrong with the gimbal.
Apparently it wasn't a firmware issue.
2021-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules