experimental edit
744 19 2021-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
malted muse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213202 ft
United Kingdom

I would be interested in comments.  I am experimenting with editing - in particular combining more than one flight using a mix of sound change as an edit point combined with overlaying shapes such as a straight road with a straight road or the form of a tree with another tree etc.  Hope that makes sense.
[/url]
2021-2-12
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Not sure about the wavy transitions, but the edits where you've lined up the road are a cool way of switching season. I think that works. Be careful of yaw and gimbal motions. You have to get them REALLY SMOOOOOOOTH, or cut them out entirely.

Scares the willies out of me the way you guys drive on the wrong side of the road like that
2021-2-12
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tentoes Posted at 2-12 13:33
Not sure about the wavy transitions, but the edits where you've lined up the road are a cool way of switching season. I think that works. Be careful of yaw and gimbal motions. You have to get them REALLY SMOOOOOOOTH, or cut them out entirely.

Thanks for the feedback - I agree about the gimbal motions and is something I am working on.  I experimented with transitions and felt the ripple effect was a bit fun whilst also covers up little errors in lining up.  Still learning
2021-2-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

An interesting combination of seasons. The transitions are a bit naff. Sound track is pretty OK. The bleeps don't really do anything for me on the transition points.  Nice scenes though
2021-2-12
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Tentoes Posted at 2-12 13:33

Exactly my thoughts (except driving on the left...).
Don't mind the wavy transitions but I would get rid of the beep.
2021-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks OK to me.  
2021-2-13
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-12 15:35
An interesting combination of seasons. The transitions are a bit naff. Sound track is pretty OK. The bleeps don't really do anything for me on the transition points.  Nice scenes though

Thanks for the feedback.  I experimented with transitions and settled on the wavy ones partly as they gave a contrast to what I had been doing  before.  I am learning how to do this but also interested in how people react to different styles if that makes sense.
2021-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

malted muse Posted at 2-13 02:43
Thanks for the feedback.  I experimented with transitions and settled on the wavy ones partly as they gave a contrast to what I had been doing  before.  I am learning how to do this but also interested in how people react to different styles if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense.   It's how you find and eventually settle on your own style.
2021-2-13
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 2-13 00:48
Exactly my thoughts (except driving on the left...).
Don't mind the wavy transitions but I would get rid of the beep.

Thanks for the feedback.  Not making excuses as it is a learning experience but the reason for the beeps is -
I wanted a separation between the snow and non snow scenes.  I had tried using different music but that was odd, I decided to use the same music with different volume levels - as if the snow had a muffling effect.  The beeps was to help mark the change.

Just experimenting and appreciating the input.
2021-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like the mix of footage covering the different seasons.  Wavy transitions are okay.  Just my opinion but the beeps are annoying.  
2021-2-13
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 09:38
Like the mix of footage covering the different seasons.  Wavy transitions are okay.  Just my opinion but the beeps are annoying.

haha
I asked for comments because I want to learn.  There are some things that can be put down to style and differences that some like, and others don't, and there are somethings that are universal.
So what have I learnt so far?
1. be careful with gimbal movement - tbh I hadn't flown for a while and forgot to go into my normal C mode and stayed in the less smooth P mode - no excuse.
2. be careful/economic with transmission styles - maybe not using the ripple effect so much.
3. music choice is important (which considering the amount of cutting and changing I did to the soundtrack but has gone unnoticed (a good thing) I am pleased with).
4. make the visual interesting with frequent but not jarring view changes.
5. DO NOT USE BEEPS!!
2021-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

malted muse Posted at 2-13 09:56
haha
I asked for comments because I want to learn.  There are some things that can be put down to style and differences that some like, and others don't, and there are somethings that are universal.
So what have I learnt so far?

It is always an ongoing learning process for all of us.  A lot of it is purely personal preference.  
2021-2-13
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BTW. confession regarding the season changes - this is Derbyshire UK and both flights were done within 48 hours of each other - but I hadn't planned for it.  It is an idea I had in my mind.  Using a MP2 I had mapped out 3 locations and saved pre planned flights so that I could repeat them exactly over a period of a year - then my motherboard failed and my MP2 is on the shelf waiting for me to find a way to fix it.  I filmed part 1 of this on my Mini then saw the chance a couple of days later - hey presto.
Just in case anyone is interested in the first flight version (which I have posted earlier) and how I approached it differently -
2021-2-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

malted muse Posted at 2-13 02:48
Thanks for the feedback.  Not making excuses as it is a learning experience but the reason for the beeps is -
I wanted a separation between the snow and non snow scenes.  I had tried using different music but that was odd, I decided to use the same music with different volume levels - as if the snow had a muffling effect.  The beeps was to help mark the change.

Never stop to experiment!
2021-2-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful views.
I'm personally not a fan of these transitions, but it won't do any harm to widen your view and try different things

I also noticed a lot of abrupt movements in your video (gimbal moving and stopping very suddenly, moving the drone a bit while recording etc.)
It might be intentional, but if you can get those smooth (like continuous and slow), it usually helps.
I have to fly back and make another try on many shots because the first one is not nice and smooth.
Also I noticed the horizon is very tilted on some shots?
2021-2-14
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2-14 23:18
Beautiful views.
I'm personally not a fan of these transitions, but it won't do any harm to widen your view and try different things  

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a tricky one because it is so easy to say 'Oh that's just my style'. But my thoughts here are that I need to master a few things before I can do it as a master and develop a style.  Having said that there were some things that were intentional - but not necessarily wise.
Such as the jerky movements at the start, which I played with to give a sense of a 'take off', which matched the percussive nature of the music, then smoothed as the drone elevated, also in nature to the music. - the others were less intentional.  TBH I would re-do the flight but it was very much making the most of the weather.  I also normally film in C mode but on this occasion forgot and filmed in the jerkier P mode. excuses excuses.
As for the tilting horizon - I haven't rotated any images or made any setting adjustments to the camera but this is the Peak District in Derbyshire and level horizons are not that common.
I have been making notes from what people have been posting and, come the weekend, I plan to re-do the editing taking on board the advice and experiment with different styles etc.
Thanks again.
2021-2-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

malted muse Posted at 2-15 10:12
Thanks for the feedback.

It is a tricky one because it is so easy to say 'Oh that's just my style'. But my thoughts here are that I need to master a few things before I can do it as a master and develop a style.  Having said that there were some things that were intentional - but not necessarily wise.

There are many ways you can learn a skill.
Sometimes it is a happy accident, sometimes it is something you don't like after trying.
Both works equally well.
As long as you are having fun in the process!
2021-2-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice video
2021-2-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there malted muse. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this cool video you have filmed and created. Nicely done and thank you for your support. .
2021-2-16
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you all.  I have re-edited it again following your input.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=236032
2021-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules