P2 face tracking problems
2094 11 2021-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasg
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hi All,

My P2 is doing a terrible job of tracking my face: I get the green square but, while I'm vlogging (holding it out in my hand at typical arm's length), it'll lose track of my face and pan/tilt away a bit, then lock back in on my face, and repeat (making the video jump around unpleasantly).

settings: 4K video (superfine), 24fps, AFC, slow follow, no extra lenses attached.

Are any of these settings making face tracking less effective?
2021-2-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Make sure firmware is up to date.  Some say that using fast follow works better.  General opinion is that tracking on the Pocket 2 is worse than on the Pocket 1, for some reason.
2021-2-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, chasg. Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies to read about the difficulties you're encountering. We recommend checking whether your DJI Pocket 2 is updated. You can also upload a sample video depicting the issue so we can check further. Looking forward to your response.
2021-2-13
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-13 23:45
Hi, chasg. Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies to read about the difficulties you're encountering. We recommend checking whether your DJI Pocket 2 is updated. You can also upload a sample video depicting the issue so we can check further. Looking forward to your response.

Dji Gamora, you can see a similar problem here on this video.  Pocket 2 is updated. And it is also on a tripod. You see that just by talking and moving a litle bit the head, Pocket 2 keeps going up and down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... m-vpnJ69rsFru_/view .

Horrible tracking!  Is the tracking person is not moving, the camera should stay without moving.
2021-2-14
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

Switzerland

alexmbraMav Posted at 2-14 08:40
Dji Gamora, you can see a similar problem here on this video.  Pocket 2 is updated. And it is also on a tripod. You see that just by talking and moving a litle bit the head, Pocket 2 keeps going up and down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqqENQyic6uAc0sa5Jm-vpnJ69rsFru_/view .

Good example, thanks!

Similar to my issues (and yes, my P2 firmware is fully up to date too).
2021-2-14
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

Switzerland

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-13 13:51
Make sure firmware is up to date.  Some say that using fast follow works better.  General opinion is that tracking on the Pocket 2 is worse than on the Pocket 1, for some reason.

@fansf82067d, thanks for weighing in.

My P2 firmware is up to date, so no issues there. But I'm bummed to hear that P1 is better wrt face tracking, sortof 180 degrees from where we should be (newer machine should be better...at everything!).
2021-2-14
Use props
DJPJ
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-13 23:45

What a bad advice.  I can't believe you are making it sound like you've never heard of this issue before.  I mean, everyone on this forum and several other forums is complaining about the 4k tracking issues even before the latest couple of firmwares and upgrading to newer firmware ONLY MADE IT WORSE.  The only people who are not complaining about this issue are those who never tried to use tracking.   
2021-2-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

alexmbraMav Posted at 2-14 08:40
Dji Gamora, you can see a similar problem here on this video.  Pocket 2 is updated. And it is also on a tripod. You see that just by talking and moving a litle bit the head, Pocket 2 keeps going up and down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqqENQyic6uAc0sa5Jm-vpnJ69rsFru_/view .

Thanks for the information. By any chance, have you tested it on different video resolution and see if that makes any difference?
2021-2-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

chasg Posted at 2-14 11:30
Good example, thanks!

Similar to my issues (and yes, my P2 firmware is fully up to date too).

We're currently checking the issue. If you could kindly, please check whether it has the same result on different video resolutions. Thank you!
2021-2-14
Use props
Open Mike
lvl.1
United States

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but the forum won't allow me to start a new one, or I can't figure out how.  

I'm having a huge problem getting my pocket 2 to track my face.  If it loses my face for more than three seconds it gives up.  I want to be able to to set it on my table at an open mic night and have it stay on me during the show.

If I could set it to pick up any face a certain direction that would work, or if I could have it not give up so quickly that would help.  Walking to the stage is hard as well, if it loses sight of me it's going to turn and stare off into the distance.
2023-4-22
Use props
Open Mike
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Open Mike Posted at 4-22 06:42
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but the forum won't allow me to start a new one, or I can't figure out how.  

I'm having a huge problem getting my pocket 2 to track my face.  If it loses my face for more than three seconds it gives up.  I want to be able to to set it on my table at an open mic night and have it stay on me during the show.

You know what would work?  Something like a timer on the old cameras or a face timer on the modern ones.  Point it at a space, and once it sees the face there it latches onto it and follows it.
2023-4-22
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I have found out myself that the face tracking really seems to struggle more often when using 4K resolutions. I think it is more reliable when filming at 1080p. Not sure how much the High-quality setting affects it.
2023-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules