lost DJI Spark during RTH flight
920 3 2021-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frankengruvin
lvl.1

United States

Hi all, first time poster here.  I just lost my DJI Spark earlier this morning.  I was just flying it around my house, never more than 20-30 feet above ground level, maybe a little higher when I was flying over my roof.  I was demonstrating it to a friend, flying it around my backyard while I was standing on my front porch.  When I was going to bring it back and land it, I grabbed a little extra altitude just to show him its responsiveness, maybe up to about 100 feet (although the flight log showed something much higher - I don't understand what it is measuring from - sea level?  I never understood that.).  I hit the RTH button and the thing shot up like a rocket to a recorded altitude of 775 feet max (according to the flight logs - I'm pretty sure the video screen during flight never showed that much altitude) and it was in clouds and I had no video feed.  I kept alternately getting signal lost notifications on my screen, although if you looked at the map it showed the drone responding to control inputs, like rotating in place, the camera moving up and down, and forward/reverse/side to side movements.  I tried taking over the RTH and bringing it down myself, but I never saw, or heard it again.  I have looked at the flight log and tried the find my drone feature but it is most definitely not where it thinks it is.  The only thing I can think of is that the RTH feature malfunctioned, taking the drone way above its max altitude, at which point signal was lost and it drifted/flew itself far away from me before battery failure and falling out of the sky.  I honestly only have suspicions about what happened.  I have never had much luck with the RTH feature, but it's never performed this terribly.  It was a cloudy day, with the cloud ceiling apparently much lower than I thought, and one of my suspicions is that once the drone was in the cloud for not very long, something got wet and fried and I was no longer in control of it nor was it properly communicating with the GPS satellites, even though according to the log it was.  I'm pretty sure it stayed high up enough so I couldn't hear it, although the clouds probably dampened the sound somewhat, and flew or drifted far away from its reported location before coming down.  I'm hoping somebody can analyze the log recording and give me a better clue as to what happened.  I bought this secondhand from Ebay, so I'm pretty sure I have no warranty claim or claim at all from DJI - I'm just hoping somebody can help me find it.  
2021-2-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I am sorry hear about the accident. You may check when was the drone actually purchased, or provide the serial number to me, I will help to check further info about the warranty status.
If it is within the warranty period, you can apply for data analysis and find out the cause of the accident.
You can contact the support via email at support@dji.com for further assistance.
2021-2-14
Use props
Frankengruvin
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2-14 18:56
I am sorry hear about the accident. You may check when was the drone actually purchased, or provide the serial number to me, I will help to check further info about the warranty status.
If it is within the warranty period, you can apply for data analysis and find out the cause of the accident.
You can contact the support via email at support@dji.com for further assistance.

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply.  I had given up hope, but I guess it's worth a shot.  Here is the serial number for my DJI Spark:

OASDE631C100E6

I am pretty sure it is out of any warranty service period.  But I'd love to know if pulling the flight logs or something can help in some way.  

Frank Kovach
2021-3-7
Use props
Frankengruvin
lvl.1

United States

Drone has been found as of 3/28/21.  It was next door in the neighbor's bushes.  I assume it fell there after the battery died or landed there safely but was not found until today.  So, it was exposed to north GA weather from 2/14/21 to 3/28/21.  It looks okay, other than being dirty, but won't hover at all.  It also appears to not even be able to pick up a GPS signal.  
2021-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules