FC 40 Camera and charging.
11655 30 2014-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Sorry for all the noob questions.
When I connect my FC40s camera to the micro usb on my computer, it blinks many tijes red, as it should indicvating its charfging per the manuel..
But..Its satys solid red.  Like overnght...
I dont see anything in the manuel about the led color stus when fully charged.

Thoughts?

2014-11-23
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Heres the info from my manuel...am I missing something redaidng when its full charged?

2014-11-23
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

It's abnormal for Camera LED to stay solid red...
Any video for this issue will be much appreciated.
2014-11-24
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

When plugging it in to my usb, the red led blinks about 10 times fast, then stays solid red no matter how long I leave it plugged in.
The camera works though..
2014-11-24
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

The red led will go off when I connect it to a wall charger.  I think its just my computer thinking its a usb mass storage device that keeps the red light on.
It works fine...no problems ( Read a similar prob over in the Ph 2 section)
2014-11-24
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-11-24 23:21
The red led will go off when I connect it to a wall charger.  I think its just my computer thinking  ...

Haha~
That's good if it works well!
But I never see something like this before
Have a good flight!
2014-11-24
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

Charging the FC40 Camera... UPDATED & CORRECTED
If you are trying to charge the FC40 camera on a PC USB port, I PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT...the computer must be in a sleep mode before it would charge.  
I thought I had experienced this with Windows 7 Pro on a desktop, but was mistaken.

Here are the 2 options I have seen work:  UPDATED

1. Connect the camera to a USB port while the computer is awake or asleep:
- the camera LED will rapidly flash red, about 10 times
- the red light will remain illuminated as long as the connection remains intactNote: some LEDs will go out when the camera is fully charged.

2. Connect the camera to a phone charger:
- the camera LED will flash red until the camera is charged, at which point, the LED will go off.

Sorry if I goofed anyone up with what this post previously said.
Please let me know if you find any discrepancies.

Thanks for your help jamesnns

2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Mine charges just fine using PC USB.  (Wn XP Pro) The LED stay on, but it does charge AND it shows up in devices as a mass storage device. I dont have to remove SD card to transfer/view/delete files either.
2014-12-4
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

Great news,  I'll update my post to include your information.

Thanks
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

IflyinWY Posted at 2014-12-5 05:43
Great news, I'm using Windows 7 Pro and it didn't work for me.  I'll update my post to include your  ...

Ill try it with Wn 7 and Wn 8 if you'd like. Let me know.
2014-12-4
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

Yep, that would be very cool.

I would appreciate the opportunity to offer better help.

I'll take another shot at it with my win 7 right now and see what happens.

Thanks
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

OK..give me a few...Ill hook it up
2014-12-4
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

I got really quick red flashes, maybe 10, then steady red and the computer notification of "SD card connected".  I can watch video and see all data on the card but do not know if it is charging.

We don't have a battery level indicator here anywhere do we?
I'll leave my computer awake but will be offline for a few hours.

Thanks for helping test the charging of the FC40 camera.

Stand-by for updates.
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

CONFIRMED:
Wn XP Pro.
9-10 blinking red LED flashes,at hook-up, able to access SD card and transfer/add/delete files as a mass storage device. FC40 camera charges in open session mode, not in sleep or hibernation mode. After 9-10 red LED flashes, the red LED stays a constant red whether charging or fully charged. There is NO change is red LED status regardless of status or circumstances.

Using wall charger, Red LED blinks while charging,remains silent  after full charge.  

Wn 7 & 8 coming soon. (Ihave to discharge cam x2 to report accurately.  
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

IflyinWY Posted at 2014-12-5 06:40
I got really quick red flashes, maybe 10, then steady red and the computer notification of "SD card  ...

Well..I KNOW it charged..as the XP Pro comp is the ONLY comp I used, and ONLY connected to the FC40 cam when comp was awake and open.

This was after a complete battery drain..so I know this is correct.
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Now....Ilkl drain the cam and use the wifes Wn 7 comp..
It might take a while to drain the cam  
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Btw  Wn XP Pro..cam will not charge in 'sleep' mode.  But Im using a powered USB hub..so that might make a difference?
2014-12-4
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

Well, I'm thinking you are correct.  My camera seems to be charged from Win 7 while awake and running.

The testing continues.  Will check back tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks again,
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Update;
On Wn7 and Wn8 the FC40 camera charges when the host computer is in both 'sleep' mode and in 'reg' mode.(This was done using a direct usb port, NOT using a power usb hub)(Note: These are both Desktop mach9nes and not laptops, that might matter)
The LED light flashes 9-10 times, stays solid red while charging, then turns off when fully charged.
I was able to access the SD cards directly during charging on both machines.
Note.  Wn did ask me when it was first plugged in on both machines "What to do with SD cards" and chose "Allow access"
I chose to allow access.  Im not sure if I could still have access if during charging or not and I said No. In hindsight..I should have chosen NO on one machine to see what happens.

So, no difference in any Wn machines I have other than WnXP Pro..the LED light just doesnt turn off indicating its fully charged (But remember, Im using a powered usb hub on that machine, and I dont know if that matters or not)

2014-12-5
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2014-11-24 20:14
It's abnormal for Camera LED to stay solid red...
Any video for this issue will be much appreciated. ...

Would you really like me to post a video of the steady red light on the camera while it is charging on the computer?
2014-12-5
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

So have we come to the conclusion the FC40 camera will charge while connected to a Desktop Computer USB Port as follows?

1. Connect the camera to a USB port while the computer is awake or asleep:
- the camera LED will rapidly flash red, about 10 times
- the red light will remain illuminated as long as the connection remains intact for me with Windows 7
-  for jamesnns the LED goes out when fully charged with Windows 7 & 8

- the SD card is accessible while the camera is connected via USB

Do we also agree a phone charger will work?

2. Connect the camera to a phone charger:
- the camera LED will flash red until the camera is charged, at which point, the LED will go off.

If I'm not mistaken, we have been discussing this because DJI did not include the following statement in any instructions:
"THE RED LED REMAINS ILLUMINATED WHILE CONNECTED VIA USB"

2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

^ Yep......
2014-12-6
Use props
drbostick
New

United States

IflyinWY Posted at 2014-12-6 09:49
So have we come to the conclusion the FC40 camera will charge while connected to a Desktop Computer  ...

I just got my FC40 For Christmas, left the camera plugged all night, but it will not turn on with the push of the power button. Not sure if it charged or, not. I will use a phone charger to test
2014-12-26
Use props
drbostick
New

United States

drbostick@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-27 04:17
I just got my FC40 For Christmas, left the camera plugged all night, but it will not turn on with  ...

So after charging the camera up using a cell phone charger, both green light under camera, and green wifi light just constantly blink. Any clues why. Non of the wifi cell phones I, the my wireless wifi router will see the camera. Any help would be so awesome.
2014-12-26
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

drbostick@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-27 11:35
So after charging the camera up using a cell phone charger, both green light under camera, and gre ...

press and hold power button to turn off and on. You need to download and install fc40 app to connect to fc40 wifi camera signal.  The camera has its own wifi so it has nothing to do with any other router or wifi device
2014-12-27
Use props
drbostick
New

United States

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-28 00:09
press and hold power button to turn off and on. You need to download and install fc40 app to conne ...

Thanks for the speedy reply. I did install the FC40 app. The app sees my home wifi (netgear), but does not see the FC40 camera while the green lights continue to blink. I have read that it syncs up when the lights burn steady. Any thoughts on that?
2014-12-27
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Turn camera on. Go to settings wifi in cell phone. Disconnect from any wifi.   Connect to dji-xxxx wifi.  Start fc40 cam app. Connect again to dji -xxxx wifi.  
2014-12-28
Use props
northico
New

Czechia

Hi. I bought phantom FC40 recently. Can u help me pls? That android app is showing me just "low battery" sign. When I click on it, it exits. Is this normal? What it means and what can I do about it? Thank u very much.
2015-4-9
Use props
uvrollercoater
New

United States

I charged mine plugged in to wall because PC wouldn't really charge it.Left it on my PC for 5 hours and it got to 45%. Is that normal?     Iused it for one flight when it was at 65% and it lasted about 10 minutes. Isthat normal?  The camera is brand new 1st time using it.  I had tobreak off the little thing that turns the camara on on the holder because Icouldn't get it to come on with that little button and when I would turn it onbefore putting it in the holder it would turn it off.  This whole Red lightthing sucks also. I think the best way to go is go get a GoPro so frustrationswill go away. (I hope)
2015-6-4
Use props
uvrollercoater
New

United States

ok, Spell check didn't work.  Sorry
2015-6-4
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

uvrollercoater@ Posted at 2015-6-5 04:44
I charged mine plugged in to wall because PC wouldn't really charge it.Left it on my PC for 5 hours  ...

It does take longer when charging on a PC through the USB.

You should use a wall charger. It will take about 4 hrs to completely charge a dead battery.

Flying for 10 min and going down to 65% is not normal. Try charging again with a wall charger and make sure it is completely charged.
2015-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules