Pocket 2 for tracking of kart racing?
1192 5 2021-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lobsang
lvl.1
Australia

Hi all

I'm trying to re-explore an original post from 2 years ago https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=178913
Since this post I've tried a few options -  I have a Canon 90D/70-200mm lens which I've used for thousands of good photos

But when I experminted with video, the results were average
It was shaky cam city  - and I had to keep tapping touch screen to focus while panning/zooming a big lens.
eg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEwb1QgZff0&list=PLK0egUIP9KR5Jp0Pin_Hb81r0rKUst_kT&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLK0egUIP9KR5Jp0Pin_Hb81r0rKUst_kT&v=1SOPShg98cQ

So I'd really love to know whether the Pocket 2 stuck up high on a monopod or tripod on the fenceline would make a good alternative for video.
Remote control via phone sounds great for that kind of situation where its a pain to access via step ladder.
It particularly needs bulk focus on the pack when the karts are in camera view, and they can disapear out of view temporarily at some tracks.

Unfortunately drones are a no-no for Karting Australia safety regulations - as that would be a great option for many tracks.

Previous comments below

I'm wondering if anyone can advise the osmo tracking ability for outdoor karting.
Karts hit speeds of 110kmh and the track length can be from 700 m to 900m.
The position of filming would usually be in a starters tower.

I've previously tried a Solo shot for filming, but this requires an armband to be worn by drivers (Which is a pain to hand to the next class and get a volunteer)

Can anyone advise if the Osmo would be able to track either 1 kart or the lead pack action reliably.

-------
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The size of different objects is uncertain, making it hard to estimate the exact distance. The initialization box is required to be no less than 1/10 of the screen size, however, the maximum distance of head-and-shoulder track is 5 meters. I'm afraid that the Osmo Pocket couldn't keep the Kart on track due to speed and distance as well as the object. Thank you for understanding.

-------
Thanks

Perhaps one of the cameras on the market that uses a tracking band (maybe this is what you meant by armband) to track a specific rider would work better.. but still its never going to know who the leader is and follow them.
Yes, the soloshot had an GPS Tag which is attached to an armband

I've been wanting to explore a more generic solution for both recording and live streaming, as tracking on 1 driver is of limited use.
I might need to look more into fixed position cameras with automatic switching.
2021-2-18
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

I am very certain, unfortunately for you, that the Active Track system would be very confused by all the kart racers and the variation in group numbers and sizes throughout a race.
2021-2-19
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

I am very certain, unfortunately for you, that the Active Track system would be very confused by all the kart racers and the variation in group numbers and sizes throughout a race.

The Soloshot camera you mention yourself sounds to me like the best solution out there. And I’m guessing of none of the drivers can be bothered to do such a small thing like wearing an armband then they don’t even deserve to be filmed?
2021-2-19
Use props
Lobsang
lvl.1
Australia

For the soloshot - there are a lot more reasons than karters wanting too or not - its just not practical in a large event with 250+ karters and the areas that you need to get to

For the Pocket 2- I should say I was  still planning to man the camera and pan to where the pack is with  the phone app, but I wanted enough auto focus/track that when the group is in shot they aren't a blur.
I was basically wanting to use it like a drone without being in the air.
2021-2-20
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Biggest problem is p2 doesn't spin 360 degrees.
2021-2-21
Use props
Lobsang
lvl.1
Australia

It doesn't need to - it would be positioned on a outside fence line, not situated in the middle of the track
2021-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules